Simon Buckley

Remove this Banner Ad

Surprised there has not been much talk about him

I thought he was pretty good in both games was very quick did some good things

He didnt get a game last year this is what i have been told anyway from somebody inside is that the club wanted to really punish him for the whole problem with his Ex

I think he is a massive chance to get games this year always liked him at Melbourne does anybody think he will play this year

What? No, he was awful. Shat himself whenever he got the ball, made a few very bad errors and all he did when he got it was kick it as long and high as he could. Won't break into the side this year, I don't think he'll make it unless he improves 500% in the next NAB Cup game.

Surprised there has not been much talk about him

I thought he was pretty good in both games was very quick did some good things

He didnt get a game last year this is what i have been told anyway from somebody inside is that the club wanted to really punish him for the whole problem with his Ex

I think he is a massive chance to get games this year always liked him at Melbourne does anybody think he will play this year

Seriosly doubt that if he could of added anything to the team last year a coaching panel would choose not to pick him.

Honestly I thought he was terrible but I watched the games again a 2nd time and he did do some nice things. He moves well and kicks the ball very long. He did make a couple of skill errors (the fumble in the back pocket against Carlton that resulted in a free kick to them for out of bounds stands out) but he wasn't as bad as I thought initially.

does anybody think he will play this year

Hopefully not! We already have Toovey in the team who can be a turnover merchant at times coming out of defense so to add Buckley into the mix wouldn't be the best move. Buckley does look good when he has the ball in hand, but when it comes to using it he just butchers it too often...

After seeing a few comments maybe i was wrong but i just think he can add something to the team with Ben Johnson getting older might be the replacement for him in a year or two

He was TERRIBLE, he wont get a game this year and if he does then it will be becuase we have 10 of our best 22 not playing.

From the reports of his VFL form last year, I was looking forward to getting a look at him.

Moves well, grabs the footy and has decent hands. Absolutely rubbish decision maker, and a poor kick - he was like a deer in headlights.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and put it down to nerves, but he won't be forcing his way into our half-back line, which is extraordinarily strong.

He wasn't that bad the other night, but he lacks the composure to be a senior AFL footballer.

He may get 1-2 games before the season is out, just so the coaching staff can see if he takes that "next step" when called upon, but I seriously doubt he has what it takes to be in a top 4 side.

He's a bit "stiff" IMO, he would be playing on a fairly regular basis for about 8 teams out there, but because he's at Collingwood, I doubt he will see much senior action this year, and he is no.1 on the "delisted" list for most also.

I think we will prefer to give "kids" a game ahead of him also, with the likes of Young, Thomas, Rounds, Fasolo, Bolton etc all being a chance to play senior footy this year, Buckley may find it impossible to get a game.

He makes our VFL team stronger though.;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rather than waste time on him, we should just go and cut and paste some of Toovey's first thread into this thread....

His kicking was worse than Leroy's in his first year at the Pies and I think he should be put back to the VFL side until the end of the year and then banished.

I was happy he found some ball on the weekend, but his disposal let him down greatly. I very much doubt he'll find a spot in the 22 nor on the senior list come season's end.

I honestly can't see what the fuss is. I've watched both games, twice and he certainly was not either hopeless nor very good.
His first hit-out for the season and making your mind up based on one NAB Cup hitout for Buckley seems as silly as for Krakouer or Fasolo et al.

Too early.

See how all these blokes scrub up after a couple of full length games against one side for the full 120 minutes.

I honestly can't see what the fuss is. I've watched both games, twice and he certainly was not either hopeless nor very good.
His first hit-out for the season and making your mind up based on one NAB Cup hitout for Buckley seems as silly as for Krakouer or Fasolo et al.

Too early.

See how all these blokes scrub up after a couple of full length games against one side for the full 120 minutes.
Here here! :thumbsu:

Jesus, a couple of you guys on here are talking about him as if he has committed murder or something.
Give him a break, he did a lot of good things and some bad things in the first hit out of the year.

I hope he does get an opportunity in the season proper to at least give himself a chance to continue on next year, he's not old either so there is still a chance for him to come of age and step up.

Good Luck to him.

Was it poor disposal or poor decision making?

It looked to me like he got a good piece of most of his kicks but better options were available other then roosting it 50 metres.

Looked to lack abit of poise when streaming out of the backline but it's very early in the season.

I'm not writing him off yet.

Was it poor disposal or poor decision making?.

Decision making for sure. Just seemed unsure of himself. Fair enough too, first game up, different gameplan from seniors to VFL, a bit slow to decide what to do with the ball.

Be careful, some of these comments are sounding very Toovey/Leroy like from a few years ago :p
Or Corrie / Cook like from last year.

I'd wager Buckley is closer to Corrie than Tooves. Tooves at least has a strength, which is extremely good pace, resulting in a human blanket effect. We can put up with his OOF's and turnovers if he's stopping goal scorers from doing their job.

Buckley has no redeeming features. Just genuinely uncomfortable when he has the ball in his hands and he plays very loose at the best of times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Simon Buckley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back