News Simonds Stadium stage 3 redevelopment - Players Stand, big screen and new lights

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder how having the Wade stand will effect game style. It did provide a little shelter against the wind at that end will be interesting to see how the games go this year

It will be fun,especially when you consider how often it's very windy during a game.Kent Kingsley or Cam Mooney would be having nightmares if they were still playing.

It will be fun,especially when you consider how often it's very windy during a game.Kent Kingsley or Cam Mooney would be having nightmares if they were still playing.

Although there are many other factors involved, in the 10 seasons before the original Hickey (Wade) stand was at the southern goal at Kardinia Park (1969-1978) Geelong's goals to behinds percentage was 52.18% and the visitor's was 49.74%. (Average 26 scoring shots each)

In the first 10 seasons that the stand was there, Geelong's percentage was 50.88% and the visitor's was 52.41%. (Average scoring shots 28 to 25)

You could interpret that as the stand taking away some home ground advantage by reducing some of the unpredictability of scoring at that end.

The last 10 seasons (2002-2011) Geelong's accuracy at KP has been 54.42%, the visitor' s 54.58%. (An average of 28 to 19 scoring shots.)

In the first 10 seasons that the stand was there, Geelong's percentage was 50.88% and the visitor's was 52.41%. (Average scoring shots 28 to 25)

You could interpret that as the stand taking away some home ground advantage by reducing some of the unpredictability of scoring at that end.

Was this the era when Peter Johnston was our full-forward

Hi guys, anyone got any new pics of the development or know of any link to where i can see some new ones? I know myself and others not from the Geelong area would be most appreciative of any updates:thumbsu:

Seeing the stand disappear brought back memories of a big pine tree we used to climb to watch the games back in the ... oh, a while back.
You either had to be quick or tough to a branch. Got very territorial with the local youth competing fiercely.
Tried slipping through the Mooroobool St fence once as a 10y.o., but got my arse kicked by a white coat!
Back to the tree. :eek:

Seeing the stand disappear brought back memories of a big pine tree we used to climb to watch the games back in the ... oh, a while back.
You either had to be quick or tough to a branch. Got very territorial with the local youth competing fiercely.
Tried slipping through the Mooroobool St fence once as a 10y.o., but got my arse kicked by a white coat!
Back to the tree. :eek:

Next you will be telling us that you can remember when the White Hart, Grand Central, Victoria and Prince of Wales Hotels were still operating in Geelong.

Was the Albion Hotel in Rock O’Cashel Lane before your time?:D

So what's gonna be the deal with the Lamby's tent? Please don't tell me that's on a year-long hiatus as well?!

I've had the best deal going on for years now; drive down to KP, lovely lass (grew up down there) takes the car and sees her family/friends while I get merry in the social club. She's got no idea how long a game of football goes for. I can tell her it finishes at 5:45 and she believes it.

She swings past and picks me up on the way back to Melbourne and in her eyes I've only been in the Lamby's tent for an hour or so.

The atmosphere and the people in that tent are one of the best parts about football for me. I live 5 minutes from the dome and would prefer head down to KP eleven weekends out of ten.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Next you will be telling us that you can remember when the White Hart, Grand Central, Victoria and Prince of Wales Hotels were still operating in Geelong.

My grandfather got to Geelong in the 50s and constantly tells me tales of those all the times. I think it's a damn shame what the Prince of Wales turned into.

We have little respect for heritage here in Australia, unless of course some government department or jewelry store has made it their offices. :(

Scary!
There 63 Geelong pubs in my time - and I knew them all! Too well! :p
Can only remember being thrown out of 2 of them, though. First one was the Albion when I was 16. The old man never found out.
Never knew the name of the alley it was in.
Most frequented were The Diggers, Criterion, The Breakwater, Brittania (got real trendy), Geelong, Elephant & Castle, Valley Inn, Commun Na Feinne(?) and newer pubs The Dinosaur and Waurn Ponds.

Scary!
There 63 Geelong pubs in my time - and I knew them all! Too well! :p
Can only remember being thrown out of 2 of them, though. First one was the Albion when I was 16. The old man never found out.
Never knew the name of the alley it was in.
Most frequented were The Diggers, Criterion, The Breakwater, Brittania (got real trendy), Geelong, Elephant & Castle, Valley Inn, Commun Na Feinne(?) and newer pubs The Dinosaur and Waurn Ponds.

The Brit and the Geelong Hotels no longer exist Monnie. The Geelong was demolished recently for the next stage of St.John of God Hospital.

Any way we have derailed this thread for long enough.

Back on topic from here.

And that leads to the question of whether the budget cutbacks will significantly change the look of the stand. There has been no artistic impressions of what the revised stand will look like that I am aware of.

Good news is that the project has come in under budget and might be ready to go in 2012.

Slightly down on the capacity levels that the club was hoping for though......

images

http://www.gfc.com.au/geelongnews/newsarticle/tabid/3933/newsid/131116/default.aspx
GEELONG chief executive Brian Cook says the Cats are hopeful they will be granted at least one Friday night home game next year.

Stage three of the Simonds Stadium redevelopment, which began recently when the Doug Wade stand was torn down, includes lights that meet the standard for night football and cricket matches.

The new stand and lights are due to be ready by round six of the 2013 footy season.
http://www.gfc.com.au/geelongnews/newsarticle/tabid/3933/newsid/131116/default.aspx

Had a quick glance through the thread to see the odds of more of the bigger Melbourne clubs heading down to Kardinia Park with the extended capacity - I also wanted to know what you guys think the odds of Geelong being able to play finals at their home ground.

I remember in 1997 when Geelong (rightly) got pretty shitty after having to travel to Adelaide in week 2 after finishing 2nd yet losing their QF - What I always thought at the time was how shitty it was that Geelong faced North Melbourne at the MCG in the QF considering that it was supposed to be a Geelong home game.

I guess 38,000 is probably still a bit small for finals games - but I wonder if the club would prefer the extra money from playing infront of 60k + at the MCG, or a genuine home ground advantage....

I hope to get to Kardinia Park this season for the Crows game for the first time - Or with the redevelopment happening, would it be better to wait til next season?

Remove this Banner Ad

News Simonds Stadium stage 3 redevelopment - Players Stand, big screen and new lights

Remove this Banner Ad

Back