News Simonds Stadium stage 3 redevelopment - Players Stand, big screen and new lights

Remove this Banner Ad

I had a quick chat to Bob Gartland in the car park at K-Park yesterday. I asked him if the new stand would look substantially different given the budget cuts to the original drawings.. He said that it would look the same as the original.

When I asked him why they left the big space where the temporary stand was , he said because they ran out of cash. But it was something that will be attended to later.

He also suggested that they are planning the next stage of the development at the northern or city end of the ground.

When you say 'big space', do you mean the stand made of scaffolding that used to be between the hickey and wade stand?

Yes I do.

Had a quick glance through the thread to see the odds of more of the bigger Melbourne clubs heading down to Kardinia Park with the extended capacity - I also wanted to know what you guys think the odds of Geelong being able to play finals at their home ground.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the only Melbourne clubs we really play in Geelong at the present time are:
Melbourne
Footscray
North Melbourne
Richmond (I don't think we'll playing them here once they come good again though)

You can add St. Kilda to that list now as well (although this year we play a home game against them at Etihad for some reason). Hawthorn will probably also be in a similar position of having to travel down the highway again once they begin falling down the ladder.
Once the new stand is completed though, I think Collingwood are virtually the only club that really has a valid excuse for not playing at KP (we regularly draw 80,000+ against them at the MCG). No reason why every other club can't travel here (that includes Carlton and Essendon).

I remember in 1997 when Geelong (rightly) got pretty shitty after having to travel to Adelaide in week 2 after finishing 2nd yet losing their QF - What I always thought at the time was how shitty it was that Geelong faced North Melbourne at the MCG in the QF considering that it was supposed to be a Geelong home game.

I guess 38,000 is probably still a bit small for finals games - but I wonder if the club would prefer the extra money from playing infront of 60k + at the MCG, or a genuine home ground advantage....

Not sure about playing finals here. Wouldn't mind it but doubt it will ever occur with Vlad in charge. Plus, nothing beats finals at the home of Footy.

I hope to get to Kardinia Park this season for the Crows game for the first time - Or with the redevelopment happening, would it be better to wait til next season?

I'd wait but it's worth a shot- check the GFC website for ticketing arrangements/details.

Had a quick glance through the thread to see the odds of more of the bigger Melbourne clubs heading down to Kardinia Park with the extended capacity - I also wanted to know what you guys think the odds of Geelong being able to play finals at their home ground.

I remember in 1997 when Geelong (rightly) got pretty shitty after having to travel to Adelaide in week 2 after finishing 2nd yet losing their QF - What I always thought at the time was how shitty it was that Geelong faced North Melbourne at the MCG in the QF considering that it was supposed to be a Geelong home game.

I guess 38,000 is probably still a bit small for finals games - but I wonder if the club would prefer the extra money from playing infront of 60k + at the MCG, or a genuine home ground advantage....

I hope to get to Kardinia Park this season for the Crows game for the first time - Or with the redevelopment happening, would it be better to wait til next season?

The GABBA would have had a similar capacity when the Lions were up and about in the early 00's so don't see why we shouldn't be able to host finals at KP

So in 2050 they'll stop playing down here ?

:D

And to think that when I saw the 1980 Grand Final (the first that I attended) I would never have dreamed that would be the last GF that Richmond would win and only the second last that they would play in.

When I asked him why they left the big space where the temporary stand was , he said because they ran out of cash. But it was something that will be attended to later.

So does this mean that The Peter Street Stand will be reconstructed?

So does this mean that The Peter Street Stand will be reconstructed?
Pretty sure the new stand will take up the whole gap between the Hickey and the Premiership.

Pretty sure the new stand will take up the whole gap between the Hickey and the Premiership.
I don't think the new stand will cover the entire space.If you look at the picture provided by Arj you'll see the glass area between the seats and the walkway down.Below that they left the concrete levels to put the seats back in that you can see stacked up by the opposition enterance to the rooms.So by the look of it they might have a couple of hundred seats between the 2 stands.

Don't question me SJ. I drop in and have a regular look at it. There will be a gap between the Eastern side Stand, Hickey or whatever (Moorabool St side) and the new stand currently under construction. You can bet your reproductive organs on it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't question me SJ. I drop in and have a regular look at it. There will be a gap between the Eastern side Stand, Hickey or whatever (Moorabool St side) and the new stand currently under construction. You can bet your reproductive organs on it.
How big?

This ought to fill the gap...

scaled.php

There will be seats in the gap between the Hickey/new stand. It's where the opposition cheer squad usually have to sit, and on top of that a big gap with no seats would look a little ridiculous.

There will be seats in the gap between the Hickey/new stand. It's where the opposition cheer squad usually have to sit, and on top of that a big gap with no seats would look a little ridiculous.

Which is exactly what I said.The seats are stacked up waiting to be put back once the stand is finished.

If thats the case, just set up a few old deck chairs for the opposition supporters.
Doesnt need to be anything flash or overly accommodating........ :D
We should grab the old cold water heaters they used to have at Vic park an install them in the visiting teams change rooms

Remove this Banner Ad

News Simonds Stadium stage 3 redevelopment - Players Stand, big screen and new lights

Remove this Banner Ad

Back