News Simonds Stadium Stage 4 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder what they will turn the lower section of the premiership stand into now? Think it had there pool and gym facilities in there

The floorplan of the ground level provided is a combination of the Premiership and Brownlow Stand's. The whole ground level will be as one facility with the existing facilities undergoing a renovation/facelift which will include the much hyped about ‘Sunrise Centre’, a facility which will be aimed at getting people with a disability back to work.

The floorplan of the ground level provided is a combination of the Premiership and Brownlow Stand's. The whole ground level will be as one facility with the existing facilities undergoing a renovation/facelift which will include the much hyped about ‘Sunrise Centre’, a facility which will be aimed at getting people with a disability back to work.
Cheers, it just looks like the new stand to me, makes sense tho there is a lot down there, they are very lucky

For what it is worth - i think it has been a disgraceful waste of taxpayers money to this date - i read they want another 80 million to finish it - unbelievable - they seem to be knocking one stand down - and then building another one
A 30000 seating capacity is ample - because the Cats are allways going to play the likes of Hawthorn and Collingwood at the MCG - where both sets of supporters can be comfortably seated

Wait till you need the public health system to help you - and you will understand what a waste this never ending KP redevelopment is

Just briefly- early in the year- in another state - needed an MRI Scan - went in as in patient on the Wednesday - got a booking appointment for Friday afternoon for the scan - because of emergency situations ( understandable ) my time got cancelled - the nurse said to me because of a lack of funding Public Hospitals are " RUBBISH " when it comes to weekends and Public Holidays ( i think the Monday was Anzac Day ) meaning that the MRI scan was shut on the Weekend and the Public Holiday - so had to wait to Tuesday as an in patient to get my MRI scan

Geelong have had a very good go from the public purse - and should not get one more cent - there are much more important things taxpayers money should be spent on than a precious football ground
I understand people who say the cash cold be better spent elsewhere, but waste of money isn't quite correct.

The extra economic benefit to Geelong through bigger crowd, more capacity etc I am very confident would be worth 10-20 mil a year (I have seen the figures but can't remember them). This is through the extra jobs, more money spent at cafes, hotels etc. I'd say the reason why we're struggling to get more funding now is because the economic benefit is decreasing and the benefit/cost is getting tighter.

I understand people who say the cash cold be better spent elsewhere, but waste of money isn't quite correct.

The extra economic benefit to Geelong through bigger crowd, more capacity etc I am very confident would be worth 10-20 mil a year (I have seen the figures but can't remember them). This is through the extra jobs, more money spent at cafes, hotels etc. I'd say the reason why we're struggling to get more funding now is because the economic benefit is decreasing and the benefit/cost is getting tighter.

Plus K'Park is going to (and has been) open(ed) up to other sporting events. i.e Soccer M&F, Rugby, Cricket T20.

02/01/17, 7:50 PM Football A-League: Melbourne Victory v Newcastle

19/02/17, 7:10 PM Cricket T20INTL: Australia v Sri Lanka

For what it is worth - i think it has been a disgraceful waste of taxpayers money to this date - i read they want another 80 million to finish it - unbelievable - they seem to be knocking one stand down - and then building another one
A 30000 seating capacity is ample - because the Cats are allways going to play the likes of Hawthorn and Collingwood at the MCG - where both sets of supporters can be comfortably seated

Wait till you need the public health system to help you - and you will understand what a waste this never ending KP redevelopment is

Just briefly- early in the year- in another state - needed an MRI Scan - went in as in patient on the Wednesday - got a booking appointment for Friday afternoon for the scan - because of emergency situations ( understandable ) my time got cancelled - the nurse said to me because of a lack of funding Public Hospitals are " RUBBISH " when it comes to weekends and Public Holidays ( i think the Monday was Anzac Day ) meaning that the MRI scan was shut on the Weekend and the Public Holiday - so had to wait to Tuesday as an in patient to get my MRI scan

Geelong have had a very good go from the public purse - and should not get one more cent - there are much more important things taxpayers money should be spent on than a precious football ground
It's all about employment and the economy of the Geelong region both in the build and the flow on after completion,Geelong needs the stimulus the club is a beneficiary but not the purpose of the grants.

That would still take around 30 years to pay off though, by then KP will need another upgrade + at least half of that benifit would of been there with the old stadium.
I stand by Geelong/AFL should of been made to play all home games at KP to get some kind of real benifit to the town for the tax payers money that was spent.
To have that stadium not even used one in every 3 weeks through out the year is a complete joke for that sort of money.

Why on earth are we hosting a t20 when the stand isn't complete. What an eye sore on the world stage. Should have waited one more year for that and give off the best possible impression. Full house and all. Not a massive chunk of the ground empty

That would still take around 30 years to pay off though, by then KP will need another upgrade + at least half of that benifit would of been there with the old stadium.
I stand by Geelong/AFL should of been made to play all home games at KP to get some kind of real benifit to the town for the tax payers money that was spent.
To have that stadium not even used one in every 3 weeks through out the year is a complete joke for that sort of money.
That 10-20 million figure is benefit directly from the new stand, not just the benefit from the stadium.

If you think about it like this - the grounds capacity was what 25,000 before the Hickey Stand was redeveloped. An extra 10,000 seats x I'd say an average spend of $70 at the ground/around Geelong (including tickets) gives $70,000 extra value per game. That's being I'd say cautious when all things are considered (I know a lot of people spend less but some people spend ALOT more), and also doesn't count the extra value the tickets are worth with upgraded facilities, extra corporate facilities etc. That doesn't only effect the extra 10,000 it effects nearly all of the seats, but lets say it only effects 20,000 at $15 an event (once again cautious).

If you then say we get an extra 3-4 major events per year because of the redevelopment you've got to multiply that $70 number by the total crowd (lets say 20,000). That's 1,400,000 per event which is definitely a cautious figure.

So hypothetically, my very cautious estimate gives
Extra benefits from Geelong home games - 70,000 x 8 home games= 560,000
Extra benefits in 20,000 seats - 20,000 x 15 x 12 events= 3,600,000
Extra benefits from more events - 1.4 mil x 4 extra events= 5,600,000
Annual extra benefit - $9,760,000

I know they're very random, general numbers but you get the idea. I'd say those numbers are pretty cautious and there's a lot of benefit no taken into account there (expenditure during construction, extra jobs during/post construction, extra people in town due to the event the day of, before/after, social rooms/dining rooms available to be booked during the week etc).

Is it just me, or is 14,081 a dismal showing for tonight's a-league game, for a city that wants their own team? I mean they nearly got that many for a warm up BBL game last year! Can't be good for the city's chances when the league is expanded.

That 10-20 million figure is benefit directly from the new stand, not just the benefit from the stadium.

If you think about it like this - the grounds capacity was what 25,000 before the Hickey Stand was redeveloped. An extra 10,000 seats x I'd say an average spend of $70 at the ground/around Geelong (including tickets) gives $70,000 extra value per game. That's being I'd say cautious when all things are considered (I know a lot of people spend less but some people spend ALOT more), and also doesn't count the extra value the tickets are worth with upgraded facilities, extra corporate facilities etc. That doesn't only effect the extra 10,000 it effects nearly all of the seats, but lets say it only effects 20,000 at $15 an event (once again cautious).

If you then say we get an extra 3-4 major events per year because of the redevelopment you've got to multiply that $70 number by the total crowd (lets say 20,000). That's 1,400,000 per event which is definitely a cautious figure.

So hypothetically, my very cautious estimate gives
Extra benefits from Geelong home games - 70,000 x 8 home games= 560,000
Extra benefits in 20,000 seats - 20,000 x 15 x 12 events= 3,600,000
Extra benefits from more events - 1.4 mil x 4 extra events= 5,600,000
Annual extra benefit - $9,760,000

I know they're very random, general numbers but you get the idea. I'd say those numbers are pretty cautious and there's a lot of benefit no taken into account there (expenditure during construction, extra jobs during/post construction, extra people in town due to the event the day of, before/after, social rooms/dining rooms available to be booked during the week etc).
With that bolded bit I was actually talking about the benefit to the town which is what the govt $ was for.
I'd say since we may get 10k more to games (hopefully) and some more events the economic benifit to the town wouldn't be more than double than the older stadium.
No doubt it's going to be a lot better for the club.

Is it just me, or is 14,081 a dismal showing for tonight's a-league game, for a city that wants their own team? I mean they nearly got that many for a warm up BBL game last year! Can't be good for the city's chances when the league is expanded.
Or the paint fiasco....

Bit of research - average A-league crowds generally between 10,000-12,000. Victory on the other hand average over 20,000 so not a great showing. BBL all the way!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

15857510_10153993871976529_2122698997_o.jpg

The only one I took from last night.

I don't have any pictures, But escalators have started to be installed inside the main foyer area of the brownlow stand

Must just be you, if this article is anything to go by...

Francis Leach has backed in Geelong’s A-League expansion bid as a serious contender after another positive turnout at Skilled Stadium on Monday night for Melbourne Victory’s 4-2 win over Newcastle.

The SEN football commentator says that the crowd of just over 14,000 people who attended the match is a good turnout considering the weather and opposition Victory played against, and shows that Geelong are hungry for a local side.

“I reckon it is (the real deal),” Leach said on SEN Breakfast.

“The big football community there is certainly hungry for it and 14,000 there last night is pretty good. The conditions weren’t great and Newcastle aren’t a top drawing team but the noise in the stadium was certainly fantastic.

“I think they have a real chance to become a really big A-League franchise.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/01/03/francis-leach-geelong-a-league-bid-is-the-real-deal/

Can tell it's the Hyundai A-League, spent a lot of time covering every Ford sign that can be seen.

Kardinia Park Instagram page has a photo of the cricket pitch being installed for the Australia v Sri Lanka 20/20 (Men) and Australia v New Zealand (Women) on Feb 19.

Checking the Ticketek site reveals only 29 of the available 64 seating bays have seats available- a very good sign with more than 6 weeks to go!

A couple more redevelopment photos taken this morning...

IMG_3277 for BF.jpg IMG_3283 for BF.jpg

Changes from last time include
  • bottom deck almost completely filled in
  • bottom level of the media centre is being divided up into separate corporate boxes
  • Northern most roof panel in the premiership stand has been removed to make way for the new one that will connect with the higher roof panels of the Brownlow Stand
  • Outside, the roof over gate 1 and 2 is being built, and as mentioned above, escalators are being installed
  • Finally, as mentioned by Thunder Road, the drop in cricket pitch is in!

With that bolded bit I was actually talking about the benefit to the town which is what the govt $ was for.
I'd say since we may get 10k more to games (hopefully) and some more events the economic benifit to the town wouldn't be more than double than the older stadium.
No doubt it's going to be a lot better for the club.

Isn't $70 x 10,000 seats per game $700k extra (not $70k extra) ? Even better!

And if the extra 10,000 bought food and other merchandise at the ground, the benefits would be even better than the $700K.

As I said at the very top of my post I was talking about the benifit to the town not the club or stadium.
It would make sense 35,000 would bring in almost double that 22,000 would into town due to spending cash around Geelong, extra employment etc.
Extra events etc would bring it over to a bit over double.

And if the extra 10,000 bought food and other merchandise at the ground, the benefits would be even better than the $700K.
If there was an error in my mathematics that's my bad!! And exactly the point I was trying to prove Winty, the benefits were very cautious numbers.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Simonds Stadium Stage 4 Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back