Some recognition (warning: USA soccer-related)

Remove this Banner Ad

you_idiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2002
Bacchus Marsh, VIC
Other Teams
The mighty Geelong Cats!
OK, so the reporter got my last name wrong-- it's spelled "Olson" and not "Olsen"-- but the Ballarat Courier did a story on me and my journalistic endeavors covering American soccer from over here during the World Cup.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/detail...gory=general sport&story_id=157712&y=2002&m=6

I have yet to see the print edition today, but there's the online link.

It was thrilling that they thought enough of me to do a feature on me, and it was a total gas to be interviewed yesterday. Hope you all enjoy reading it.

I'm also going to post this link in the General Talk forum, but I thought it would have a significant relevance here, too.

Cheers,
William

Yeah, It's been great to get some input about a team we hear little about, but play an interesting face paced game. Good effort!

Plus, Brad Freidel......Blackburn Rovers...... :p

Originally posted by StrengthThroughLoyalty
nice one william.

an american journalist writing about a soccer tournament in korea and japan for a dutch website from his home in ballarat.

you can safely say you are one of a kind.:D

Thanks!

And you forgot... married to an Australian woman, too! :D

Good thing I've never been in a Turkish prison... ;)

Cheers,
William

Thanks to all others who have posted, and others in advance, for your kind words. I may just be doing my job, but it's nice to be recognised, nonetheless. :)

Cheers,
William

Originally posted by daddy_4_eyes
Congratulations. Hopefully you can displace Caroline "I am clueless" Wilson at the AGE very soon.

Don't forget us when you become famous ;)

I knew I shouldn't have fed the vultures. :D:D:D

And I won't forget those here at BigFooty. You never forget those who really matter. :)

Cheers,
William

Originally posted by Slax
My big question is Ameerican TV going to show the quarter-final v Germany or not. So far they haven't showed a single match live on TV so my guess is it is doubtful.

Not true. I don't know about the previous matches since I was in Australia at the time, but the match against Mexico was shown live on ESPN. It started at about 1am Monday morning Los Angeles time. I stayed up in my hotel room the night before I flew into Chicago and watched it. The match against Germany is also being shown live early tomorrow morning. It seems the TV rights contract with FIFA must be with ESPN, not with a free to air network. Doesn't really matter since most US families have cable and ESPN is on basic cable. Hey, with 51 stations to choose from at our house, I often can't decide between watching the Weather Channel or something less dramatic!;) :D

I''ll be watching the USA match against Germany tomorrow morning on TV at the same time I'l be watching the AFL site's changing scoreboard of the Bulldogs versus St Kilda match! To tell you the truth, I wish it were the other way around!

I'll concur with what Chicago said, Slax-- on the basis that me being over here puts me in a better position to see the games than my friends back home.

ESPN and ESPN2 have combined to show all of the games live, even at the ridiculous (but live!) hours of 11:30 p.m., 2 a.m. or 4:30 a.m., California time. And that's for ALL the games, not just the ones involving the USA or any teams of ethnic interest.

Many of the soccer-friendly bars and pubs have even had viewing parties at those hours as well. They can't serve alcohol after 2 a.m., mind you, but they're still packing people in.

It should also be noted that the Miami-based Spanish-language channel Univision has kept their tradition by showing every game live as well, with the exceptions of those simultaneous group-finale clashes.

So the USA isn't in the soccer backwoods as you might assume, either on the field or on TV. And, to toot my own horn again, certainly not in the soccer journalism department, either. :D

Cheers,
William

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by you_idiot
OK, so the reporter got my last name wrong-- it's spelled "Olson" and not "Olsen"-- Cheers,
William

So you're not related to Mary-Kate and Ashley?!
Phew!!

Well done Bill and welcome to Australia . the Land of Opportunity!

Re: Re: Some recognition (warning: USA soccer-related)

Originally posted by swansong

So you're not related to Mary-Kate and Ashley?!
Phew!!

Well done Bill and welcome to Australia . the Land of Opportunity!

Thanks goodness, no-- and thanks! :)

Cheers,
William

Remove this Banner Ad

Some recognition (warning: USA soccer-related)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back