Songs that were banned thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It may not have been banned per se, so I hope I'm making a meaningful contribution to the thread, but on a BBC documentary called 'Soul Deep' (about the history of African-American music) I'm pretty sure one of the persons interviewed talked of performers being pressured to sing different lyrics on "Shake, Rattle and Roll" than the original version. Come to think of it, "Way you wear those dresses, the sun comes shinin' through, I can't believe my eyes all that mess belongs to you" seems more risqué than the lyrics of many songs that were banned!

Banned by JJJ (and not even considered by other radio) when it came out for gratuitous overuse of the word c**t. Good song, though.

I always thought it was a bit hypocritical that they wouldn't play it, given that it came out at the same time as Closer - NIN (beastiality anyone?) and I'll Be Your Backdoor Man - Pauline Pantsdown, which they played to death.

The BBC banned "A Day in the Life" by the Beatles due mainly to the line "I'd love to turn you on", which they believed promoted drug use. The Beeb also banned "Come Together" because of the line "He shoot Coca Cola". Some say the BBC thought this line referred to product placement while other sources have claimed they thought the line related to shooting cocaine.
The BBC also banned The Kinks' "Plastic Man" in 1969 because they sang the word "bum".

Being a madonna fan two songs that were banned from MTV for their high sexual context was Justify my Love (1990) and Erotica (1992).

Justify my love was banned on MTV but in 1990 it still managed to reach no.1 on the billboard chats in the states (no.9 on the aria charts) just proves how popular madonna was in 1990.

In 1992 erotica was only allowed to be played after midnight on MTV but again the song peaked at no.3 on the billboard charts and no.4 on the Aria charts.

I was in Sale (Victoria) in the early 80's and it was a desolate place for music...the only radio station was 3TR (pretty sure that stood for "trash radio")...and there was only one record store in town for a long time ran by a woman and her daughter (reckon they were god botherers as they didnt have anything remotely alternative stocked)....anyway, long story short, another record store opened up and this guy used to stock all types of 'weird' stuff (to me it was the best) and he had tucked away under the counter was copies of Marianne Faithfull's Broken English, the banned one...well, it didnt take long before he was closed down when the cops somehow heard that he had that and as imports were banned in those days that was the end of that...

Anway, this is a classic...and the whole album is good...

cheers

col

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Six Months in a Leaky Boat, by Mental as Anything was banned in England, around the time of the Falklands war. Censors are always weird.

As a matter of interest, thanks to Rocklist.net/banned recordings:

All these recordings were banned during the gulf war in 1990.

Jose Felicano & The Doors - Light My Fire
Something Happens - "Parachute"
The Cure - Killing an Arab
Little angels - Bone yard
Massive Attack had the word "attack" dropped during the gulf war.
Bomb the Bass also suffered during this period.
‘The Word,’ listed 64 songs on its February 1st program that BBC Radio have deemed "unsuitable" to play during the Gulf Crisis: Lee McMurray
Abba Waterloo
A-ha Hunting High And Low
Alarm 68 Guns
Animals We Got To Get Out Of This Place 5.
Arrival I Will Survive 6.
Joan Baez The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down 7.
Bangles Walk Like An Egyptian 8.
The Beatles Back In The USSR 9.
Pat Benetar Love Is A Battlefield
Big Country Fields Of Fire
Blondie Atomic
Boomtown Rats Don't Like Mondays
Brook Bros. Warpaint
Arthur Brown Fire
Kate Bush Army Dreamers
Cher Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)
Eric Clapton I Shot The Sheriff
Phil Collins In The Air Tonight
Cutting Crew I Just Died In Your Arms Tonight
Skeeter Davies End Of The World
Desmond Dekker Israelites
Dire Straits Brothers In Arms
Duran Duran View To A Kill
Jose Feliciano Light My Fire
First Choice Armed And Extremely Dangerous
Roberta Flack Killing Me Softly
Frankie Goes To Hollywood Two Tribes
Eddie Grant Living On The Frontline
Eddie Grant Give Me Hope Joanna
Elton John Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting
Johnny Hates Jazz I Don't Want To Be A Hero
John Lennon Give Peace A Chance
John Lennon Imagine
Jona Louis Stop The Cavalry
Lulu Boom Bang A Bang
McGuinness Flint When I'm Dead And Gone
Bob Marley Buffalo Soldier
Maria Muldaur Midnight At The Oasis
M*A*S*H Suicide Is Painless
Mike And The Mechanics Silent Running
Rick Nelson Fools Rush In
Nicole A Little Peace
Billy Ocean When The Going Gets Tough
Donny Osmond Soldier Of Love
Paper Lace Billy Don't Be A Hero
Queen Killer Queen
Queen Flash
Martha Reeves Forget Me Not
B.A. Robertson Bang Bang
Tom Robinson War Baby
Kenny Rogers Ruby (Don't Take Your Love To Town)
Spandau Ballet I'll Fly For You
Specials Ghost Town
Bruce Springsteen I'm On Fire
Edwin Starr War
Status Quo In The Army Now
Status Quo Burning Bridges
Cat Stevens I'm Gonna Get Me A Gun
Rod Stewart Sailing
Donna Summer State Of Independence
Tears For Fears Everybody Wants To Rule The World
Temptations Ball Of Confusion
10 CC Rubber Bullets
Stevie Wonder Heaven Help Us All

The lunatics have never needed to take over the asylum.

Those Anti Nowhere League lyrics were a laugh !!

Here is a sample:

And I sucked sweets
And I sucked rock
And I even ****** an old man's ****
So what, so what

And I've ****** a sheep
And I've ****** a goat
I've had my **** right down its throat
So what, so what

Just about every song on the first Skyhooks album was banned from radio, mainly because of sex and drugs references.

I quite liked this tune sung by Red Symonds all about having a toss at the cinema

Remove this Banner Ad

Songs that were banned thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back