Streaming Squid Game Discussion Thread - SPOILERS INSIDE

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Just finished watching the whole season in 3 days. Wife was too horrified after episode 1 to continue. Brilliant first few episodes for me, a bit of a lull after that, then great marble and bridge episode but fell away for the end.

One thing l didn’t understand was why it took the cop so long to go searching for his brother. You learn he played the game in 2015, 6 years beforehand, yet it took him that long to go searching for him? Then when he visits his brothers apartment/room, it didn’t look like a place that hadn’t been lived in for 6 years.

The old man obviously plays the game every year, as when the cop went through the 2020 player files, 001 wasn’t there, the first page was 002.
It’s probably his intention to always get eliminated after the marbles so that he doesn’t do the bridge round where there is a real chance of dying.
But l couldn’t understand why during the flashback at the end he told the front man to make his apologies to the VIP’s as it isn’t as fun to watch after playing it. Surely after playing it year after year he would be over it. Unless he knew it was the last time and nostalgia kicked in.

Pretty much, Tug of War has been switched out for Battleship. There are other games played within the dorm with eliminations and advantages to help control numbers for upcoming games.
The dorm room and all they sets are pretty much identical.

The start of the cookie cutter game is brutal, but it's so much fun. TRYING TO AVOID SPOILERS

The start of the cookie cutter game is brutal, but it's so much fun. TRYING TO AVOID SPOILERS

Spencer you weak upchucking pr*ck :D

I've binged the first few episodes, it's pretty addictive. High production values. Genuine tension at times. Disappointing the vast majority of participants are American as the show was filmed in the UK. And as one reviewer noted, starting with 456 people means many who are highlighted end up being eliminated.

And as one reviewer noted, starting with 456 people means many who are highlighted end up being eliminated.
I think that was the issue Million Dollar Island, starting with 100 contestant was too many. I've been trying to find a winner edit in this, and I'm still not sure.

does it (SG The Challenge) get better after the first episode?

I think it does but if you're not hooked after the first episode, don't bother. For me the subsequent challenges have their moments and - like other Survivor-type shows - its more interesting when you get to know the personalities of some of the contestants. You know almost every one of them - including the cocky, swinging dick Alphas - will be eliminated eventually.

The start of the cookie cutter game is brutal, but it's so much fun.

On the honeycomb cutting task, rock-paper-scissors would have been a fair way for each group to choose a door. Play in pairs, then winners and losers play off. Simples.

Is the premise the same?

Pretty much but instead of gun shots, they use human mounted squibs to simulate gun shots on each contestant.

The only variations so far is the tug of war challenge being swapped out for Warships (Battleship) challenge which is pretty fun in itself and the dormitory elimination challenges. Also there are no triangle guards or head tournament director at this stage of the season.

The sets are pretty much identical to the TV show.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Enjoying it a lot, but considering it's nowhere near as mentally and physically taxing as Survivor - it's surprising how melodramatic the players are. I suppose in that sense they've casted well to match the stress of the show.

The games and twists have been really good though IMO.

Crazy that when they won the picnic and got told to pair up, they didn't see the marble game coming.

Enjoying it a lot, but considering it's nowhere near as mentally and physically taxing as Survivor - it's surprising how melodramatic the players are. I suppose in that sense they've casted well to match the stress of the show.
Haven't watched it but surely that's because of the stakes being lost here. It appears they want to embrace the most evil aspect of the actual show and have picked people with genuine financial woes, even though 455 of them will get nothing.

Haven't watched it but surely that's because of the stakes being lost here. It appears they want to embrace the most evil aspect of the actual show and have picked people with genuine financial woes, even though 455 of them will get nothing.

Well yeah, that's why I mentioned that they've cast it well.

From the 5 episodes I've seen, there are certainly a handful who are keen for the money but no-one that appears to be outright destitute or anything. In fact a lot of the cast are well educated.

It is surprising though how many of the contestants themselves are surprised at some of the twists. It's not like the tone of the show is a surprise to them.

Keen to hear your thoughts though if you end up giving it a go. I still think it's great.

Well yeah, that's why I mentioned that they've cast it well.

From the 5 episodes I've seen, there are certainly a handful who are keen for the money but no-one that appears to be outright destitute or anything. In fact a lot of the cast are well educated.

It is surprising though how many of the contestants themselves are surprised at some of the twists. It's not like the tone of the show is a surprise to them.

Keen to hear your thoughts though if you end up giving it a go. I still think it's great.

I suspect all the players are getting a retainer payment just for being on the show as they are required to "amateur act" through out. I think the raw emotions and back stories are still real but some of their reactions to other people and events is a bit over exaggerated.

I suspect all the players are getting a retainer payment just for being on the show as they are required to "amateur act" through out. I think the raw emotions and back stories are still real but some of their reactions to other people and events is a bit over exaggerated.

They were my thoughts as well.

One example that seemed at odds - the jack in the box game from what I understood didn't require an explanation for choosing players to be eliminated - yet a few of them were pretty sharped tongue when there was no need to be.

Watched the first 5 episodes and I am enjoying it, haven’t watched the Korean Squid Game tv series, So wasn’t sure what challenges were coming, the contestants seem know what challenges were, but got caught with the battleship game, thinking it was going to be tug of war, smart of the producers changing up the order, as most seem to have watched the TV series, like someone mentioned they shouldn’t have got caught out with the picnic, probably the contestants just had food on there mind and were starving and forgot about the game

Finished the five available eps

Some thoughts

Them arguing over not getting the umbrella was hilarious. For those arguing about keeping their shape and not getting the umbrella, if it wasn't an issue why not just take it?
That umbrella guy who was as weak as water came across as pathetic.
Glad Lorenzo is gone. Douchebag.
Didn't ike 432 either. Arrogant and an arseh*le.
Spewing the doctor got eliminated.
The battleship game was a lot of fun and really intense.
Thought it was very smart to eliminate the player with advantage.
Picnic was bloody rough. Wonder what the advantage was that player 130 would have had?

Really good and enjoying it a lot so far.

I thought the old doctor from the Gganbu gang might have been a plant like the old Korean tycoon in Squid Game. A Google search came up with this

Remove this Banner Ad

Streaming Squid Game Discussion Thread - SPOILERS INSIDE

Remove this Banner Ad

Back