Premiership Player
Suspended
Jun 13, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Adel, Adel Utd, Sunderland
i dont get it and watching grant thomas on talking footy last night i dont think he does either. What is going on?

was it luck or has fatigue kicked in or are they choking.

We came from 11th last year, and a bottom 2 finish each of the previous 3 years. To do that and then dominate the competition the first 3 months is nothing short of remarkable.

It is not our time yet, more of an early warning for the rest of the competition to prepare to be our punching bags for the next decade. We still have a shot at glory this year, but it wouldn't shock me if it wasn't our time yet. Injuries have hurt us and will continue to do so in the competitions toughest run home, but we will be thereabouts in September, just getting a feel for it at this stage, whetting our appetities, if you will.

Our time will come. You have been warned.

St Kilda have always stated that they are not a premiership contender this year, it is just the public and media that are making a big deal about them.

Some of the very young Saints players will have hit the wall in terms of their ability to come up week after week and physically take the pounding they will now receive due the increased attention they will be receiving.

Their bodies even though they have bulked up still won't have the hardness and resilience of a 27 year old. This hardness in the body will come over the next two years for them as they reach 24 onwards. That is when they will reach their peak physically and a greater ability to withstand the increased pressure they have drawn on themselves.

Why some of the older players have experienced a slump in form may partially have to do with the group work that the others are doing to cater to the rigours of the season. I think within the next 3-4 weeks you'll see an increase in the Saints intensity again as finals loom.

But will they have lost too much ground in the intervening period?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So far they are top 4. They should finish top 4. Personally I think it will be hard to win a premiership first time in the finals and with a young squad they will be in danger of wearing out by September. What else can you say? They haven't succeeded or failed yet there are 2 months before the finals even start. My speculative view is they will finish as prelim finalists and at the start of the year they would have been happy with that. Next year will be a tougher one for them than I think they realize though as they are probably going to be the second major team targeted by opposition after the premiers. Teams will want to beat the up and coming challengers. It isn’t a problem in round 1 or round 10 it is a problem in September after a tough year with what will still be a relatively youngish squad.

Remove this Banner Ad

st kilda: pretenders, premiers or just another port adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back