No Oppo Supporters St.Kilda sack Brett Ratten

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is wrong with saying that it could've been handled a lot better?

They knew he was getting sacked a month before they went and told him. Why? Why bother to put him through a fake process of trying to save his job if they already knew he was gone?

I don't understand how any of what they did is professional at all.

Why tell Ratten in July that his job was safe if the review hadn't been completed yet? They knew he was getting the arse a month before they told him. Why not be transparent with him?

These are all fair questions and the flipping and flopping from the club has opened themselves up to criticism and IMO rightly so.

Lets hope they can be more honest and upfront with their staff and the supporters from here on.
Nothing is wrong with saying that it was handled poorly. In fact, Bassatt and Lethlean DID say that themselves, in the press conference.

I accept their reasoning of why it happened like that. It looks chaotic, but giving Ratten a chance to plead his case is unusually humane in my book. Certainly not something the AFL media is used to, which is why the pundits, particularly the brickhead ex-players, didn't understand it.

In truth, Ratts would have had to give the world's best presentation to save his neck after they'd got Lyon on their mind but they gave him a chance.

They failed him, as they said, as we accept deep down, but most of us are happy to look to the future and are celebrating the incredible reality that awaits us.

Football clubs lie to their supporters. Always have done, always will do. The public are given the story which works and kept on a Need To Know basis from the truth, same as any corporation or political org. You only have to look on Facebook to see why. By and large the public are idiots.

What if Bassett was happy to cop the 6 month 200k payout for stability, keep the sponsors & supporters happy, & was always considering sacking Ratts after trade period if the year continued to deteriorate in the second half of the year? 200k perhaps a small price to pay!
Think About It GIF by Identity

Watching Geelong a couple of times, once in our win and when they best Richmond, I was struck by their team oriented play, their absolutely drill formations and execution of the team play. For that to occur you need
1) Mature players. Geelong has that in spades
2) Buy in from every single player
3) a group of high end players

Ross will get the buy in, it has shown in the past. We have a decent list age and players should execute the plan in place.

Do we have the spine and top end talent?

Geelong really didn't get to the GF with big contributions from Selwood and Danger and were carried by a very average midfield. Their stars are Cameron, Stewart, Hawkins and maybe even Stengle these days. They have some very good players as well but they are nowhere near the best list but they are the best drilled and best at knowing each others game inside out. It allows them to carry a few GOPs like Zac Guthrie and Stanley.

Sydney would be the second best systems based side. Melbourne has a very simple system but relies on a lot more bulk talent as do the Dogs who are a lot more into letting talent play to its strengths.

I wonder if Melbourne who are less systems based won one in a year where the stand rule and 666 had broken down some systems based stuff but this year they caught back up?

Geelong really didn't get to the GF with big contributions from Selwood and Danger and were carried by a very average midfield. Their stars are Cameron, Stewart, Hawkins and maybe even Stengle these days. They have some very good players as well but they are nowhere near the best list but they are the best drilled and best at knowing each others game inside out. It allows them to carry a few GOPs like Zac Guthrie and Stanley.

Sydney would be the second best systems based side. Melbourne has a very simple system but relies on a lot more bulk talent as do the Dogs who are a lot more into letting talent play to its strengths.

I wonder if Melbourne who are less systems based won one in a year where the stand rule and 666 had broken down some systems based stuff but this year they caught back up?
Selwood and Dangerfield were huge in the Preliminary final and Danger just about won the Norm Smith Medal so I dunno about that.

The trouble now with the Cats , is they have Hawkins who has been playing his best football the last few years and Cameron now fit and firing and one of them will always perform and guys like Bilcavs , Stewart always get the a job done.

It's politics.. as a leader, you're not going to come out prior to a review and tell the media that your coach's job is specifically under review (not that I can remember him specifically saying this or see any reference to it). That would have been even worse for the club. The presser from a communications and business point of view is all you need to know. The Pres and board wern't happy with the teams football performance and everything was on the table.

Yes they stuffed up with renewing Ratts when they did, but they've taken accountability of that and took the time behind closed doors figuring out what they need to do which is why they have acted swiftly and decidely once Ratts sacking was announced.
Ratten is not stupid, and he’s been in football for years….he had to have known, after the spectacular flop of the second half of the season, that he would also be under scrutiny, no matter what was / was not said publicly.

That's pretty interesting and I wonder how it would go in a more seasoned team. We had a few experienced players but not that many. No doubt it would have been worth trying at Hawthorn when Rath was there with so many players there having already succeeded, but we have a vastly different make up.

Besides that, I think it's a strange model to bring into a footy club. Footy squads are made up of 40 boys and young men, most of whom have only ever known a more traditional autocratic model of leadership since their junior days and have probably really only been given the bare bones if leadership tools - even though more and more clubs are going for more consultation, I think most of our players are just looking for someone to show them the way to realise their potential as sportsmen and get an edge over their opposition as a team.

Most of them are smart enough to keep their mouths shut and their ears open but the stuff they are listening to has to be decent quality, not just motivation speak.
Nice counter point.

What if Bassett was happy to cop the 6 month 200k payout for stability, keep the sponsors & supporters happy, & was always considering sacking Ratts after trade period if the year continued to deteriorate in the second half of the year? 200k perhaps a small price to pay!
That thought had crossed my mind too.
You would think that if we could see 8.3 was not a true reflection of the state of our team, they they could certainly see it too.

Would also have done it to shut up the ongoing media speculation as the season went on.

I feel they have 22 role players with real buy in , and are extremely well coached

We should've just sacked him when we knew, which was three and a half weeks before we told him. Give him more of a chance to get to another club as an assistant. Have some common courtesy at least. We unnecessarily sat on it.
well if we knew 3 and half weeks ago then sure, I'm just going off what bassat said which was they didn't decide till the other night

well if we knew 3 and half weeks ago then sure, I'm just going off what bassat said which was they didn't decide till the other night
Bassat said they'd made a decision a month ago and the Sunday before the presser is when they told Ratten that it was unlikely he'd coach next year.

Bassat said they'd made a decision a month ago and the Sunday before the presser is when they told Ratten that it was unlikely he'd coach next year.
They didn't make the decision until the board voted on it after Ratts had his chance to convince them otherwise.
That was the decision - the findings from the review ...... that's something else. That's not "the decision". Don't
go re-writing history, it doesn't suit your style.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They didn't make the decision until the board voted on it after Ratts had his chance to convince them otherwise.
That was the decision - the findings from the review ...... that's something else. That's not "the decision".
Suggest you have another watch of the presser then, Bassat said it wouldn't have taken so long if he was trying to come to another decision.

On another note, and I apologise if this has already been posted, but Lyon's qualities as Coach are again exemplified in this vid..

Still remembers the inside 50 count at half time from a game 11 years prior. Pretty crazy.

That's fine but go and tell Ratten that in July when the review was announced instead of waiting until October.

If he wanted to keep it from Ratten to avoid the wheels falling off, then tell him in September when he actually reckons he found out, as opposed to four weeks later.

Shits all over the joint lol
As RTB says, “it’s a brutal industry”. Bassett is a business man & will do what’s best for the St Kilda FC.

As RTB says, “it’s a brutal industry”. Bassett is a business man & will do what’s best for the St Kilda FC.
And he has done that after tripping and bumbling his way to the finish line.

We have to be better in all aspects and the mixed messaging isn't a good look.

Nothing is wrong with saying that it was handled poorly. In fact, Bassatt and Lethlean DID say that themselves
I accept their reasoning of why it happened like that. It looks chaotic, but giving Ratten a chance to plead his case is unusually humane in my book.

I would love to know if they gave ratts the opportunity to resign with a six month payout and cite family reasons or some such.
It would be another lie but could have saved a bit of face for all involved.

And he has done that after tripping and bumbling his way to the finish line.

We have to be better in all aspects and the mixed messaging isn't a good look.
I guess we’ll never no exactly what conversations occurred behind closed doors.

It’s not like the club can say “we re-signed Ratts knowing terminating the contract isn’t that big an issue”. That would make a mockery of the 6 month payout clause.

Pretty hard to sack people quickly these days. So many HR and legal issues to get right. Just like the real world. Bassat or Lethlean couldn’t sack him in isolation without going through all the procedures and keeping it from leaking. They would have to get board approval and that isn’t an overnight task.

I am not a legal or HR person. My wife was heavily involved in HR issues and it is a minefield. I have observed it all sitting in the background. He wasn’t being sacked for misconduct so the reasoning has to be laid out with any legal ramifications in mind. I am sure sporting organisations are no different from other work places.

So I can completely see why it took a month (if that is true) from knowing they were going to do it, to actually doing it.

Who cares, Ratts is gone, Bassat and Lethlean fronted the media, said they made a mistake in signing him, and it is brutal to sack him, but the club owed it to its members to give them the best shot at a flag.
They then went out and got Ross Lyon.

Cant see the angst

On the football front. Just go back and read game day threads. Even when we won. A couple of wins I know I just couldn’t believe we did win. We just seemed to have no structure and other teams with one just swallowed up anything we did effortlessly.

We were always expending huge effort and the opposition would just absorb it and sweep the ball away. So many fruitless efforts just wear down teams. Not to mention supporters.

Go back and read Matchday threads and the Autopsies. Week after week. We had some great wins, no doubt. But as i said earlier in some games we never looked like it. Then suddenly a burst would see us home.

I got used to us being 2,3,4 goals down before we fired a shot. And we seemed to be trying. I got sick of it.

Who cares, Ratts is gone, Bassat and Lethlean fronted the media, said they made a mistake in signing him, and it is brutal to sack him, but the club owed it to its members to give them the best shot at a flag.
They then went out and got Ross Lyon.

Cant see the angst
Settle down, can't you see George is a bit upset about this ?

200.gif

Billings is an anxious over thinker but super coachable. To me he's the type that would have been a star at a club like peak Hawthorn or Geelong. Taking away uncertainty should free him of his mind. He's an ideal soldier. I think he'll love Ross.
To me, Billings is a confidence player. If he is playing in Geelong where he’ll be getting good service, and playing in a good structure, game plan, he may well be a star..

Put him in a team where everyone fumbles, can’t kick/hand pass, just bombs the ball to a flooded F50 without looking, he’s completely useless, only able to pick up cheap possessions in the backline. Basically how he’s played in the last 7 years..

Put him one out in the pocket or goal square, kick to his advantage and see him get to work.. Make it happen Ross.. We have some really dangerous forwards.. can really turn it around quickly if we play to their strengths rather than the opposite e.g. asking Billings to chase, win contested ball like a inside mid or play on a wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back