Past Steven Browne

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 15. Steven Browne

Wasn't totally disappointed in Browne today. Going forward he struggled again but defensively i thought he was good again (there are two ways in a football game). Not really sure what is up with his disposal, it can be very neat, maybe he is feeling the pressure right now. Important year, needs to stake a claim for a spot in the 22 as he's had a few years in the system, never remembered him being this terrible under pressure. Just seems to panic and tense up, doesn't back himself and seems to lack confidence for some reason. A great team player though and gives it everything (love that chase, almost the length of pitch, almost ran down Sherman, put pressure on him and IIRC caused a turnover). One of the only fellas on the team that consistently lays sheppards.

I reckon there could be a strong case to put time into seeing what he can do as a lock down midfield tagger, someone similar to Picken from the Dogs who doesn't offer a great deal offensively.

He is better with the ball in hand than what he showed today, hope he can fix whatever the issue is.

agreed C23, Browney is much better than what he showed today, also agree run with might be his go.

A few comments on his game yesterday...

Browne - didnt get much of it, but did try hard. Put a great smother on down the left wing.

15 Steven Browne - had a purple patch at one stage goes at it hard but still fluffs a lot of his disposal , will remain a fringe player this year i think

After missing out on selection on the weekend, i very much doubt Browny will be selected to tackle the Tigers. Looks like he may have to push selection from the Ants.

There's a spot up for grabs in the back pocket with Army most probably missing, and I thought Browney was putting his hand up for that, but I agree C23, it does look like he has fallen short.

Here's hoping he can work his way into contention for selection into the senior team with some consistent form in the VFL.

AFL+Rd+11+Blues+v+Demons+bQX4XzBZ0Syl.jpg

I don't even really like browne, but I like this picture :)
(Some special alone time material for TG)

Vs West Coast -
7 kicks
7 handballs
14 touches
2 contested
86% DE
6 marks
1 tackles
3 score assists
1 goal

Vs Melbourne -
5 kicks
6 handballs
11 touches
4 contested
55% DE
3 marks
4 tackles

84% TOG over the two games.

Definitely been given a different role, mainly playing across half forward and on the wing. Was impressive in the game against the Eagles. As always attacked the footy and made much better decisions with the footy in hand. Was given a similar role to what Houlihan has been given. So when Ryan came back last week he seemed to be a little lost and thrown around a little more.

Has been OK in the last few games but nothing to really write home about at this stage.

Browney is on the periphery of the 22 and is a good depth player. He does nothing exceptionally well but at the same time isn't bad at anything in particular - just a good honest old-fashioned footballer.

If he's out on the park you know what you are going to get from him and I don't mind that at all. His problem is finding something that sets him apart from others on the list if he does want to cement a spot in our best 22, something that I'm just not sure he possesses.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't survive the cull at the end of the season but we need to see continual improvement from him if he wants to forge a long-term career for himself in Navy Blue.

15. Steven Browne

Definitely been given a different role, mainly playing across half forward and on the wing. Was impressive in the game against the Eagles. As always attacked the footy and made much better decisions with the footy in hand. Was given a similar role to what Houlihan has been given. So when Ryan came back last week he seemed to be a little lost and thrown around a little more.
Since he's your buddy, what has happened to Browne since his debut season?

Browne looked like he had a future after he played 13 games in 2008.

It seems weird that we've developed Ellard into a midfielder in the VFL, yet played him as a tagger last week ahead of Browne.

The role Browne has played in the past with good results.

Don't know if he's doing what the coaches are asking of him, but I hope he gets another year.

A bit of shame he didn't develop. I don't think you can have too many smalls in the side unless they have pace.

For those interested Steve Browne has signed with his original WAFL club West Perth for two years.

Hopefully he has a good 2011 and gets another shot at the big time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always thought he would make a solid player at AFL level.

Doesn't do anything particularly well but is solid in most categories across the board.

I was surprised that he wasn't taken as a rookie by a club, to be honest.

There is certainly an opportunity for delisted players to go back down a level and try and work their way back up the pecking order. If he goes and performs in the WAFL for a year, he may well get another crack at it.

That is only, of course, if he wants it enough. It's well and truly up to him and how much work he is prepared to do.

I liked him so I wish him all the best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back