News Stevie J to Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

His truly good games are few and far between these days and the rest of the time he can actually be a huge liability. His body can no longer respond to his batshit insane decision making anymore meaning he's found new and inventive ways to turn the ball over in recent years. It's particularly damaging when a blind-spin, semi-cartwheel opposite-side handball misses a target in the corridor and the opposition waltz in easy goals.

Too arrogant or stupid to try and play within his age-induced limitations and just doesn't understand the concept of a percentage play. Honestly can't see him being anything other than a huge failure in a Ross Lyon side.

His truly good games are few and far between these days and the rest of the time he can actually be a huge liability. His body can no longer respond to his batshit insane decision making anymore meaning he's found new and inventive ways to turn the ball over in recent years. It's particularly damaging when a blind-spin, semi-cartwheel opposite-side handball misses a target in the corridor and the opposition waltz in easy goals.

Too arrogant or stupid to try and play within his age-induced limitations and just doesn't understand the concept of a percentage play. Honestly can't see him being anything other than a huge failure in a Ross Lyon side.

I see where you're coming from but I still think he would be an upgrade in our forward 50 and that will only strengthen our team.

Wow, Righteo you just changed my mind.. But then I just thought I'd check his stats this year.. And I was surprised..(I've just edited this 2014 not 2015)

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/player-profile/steve-johnson

2015 = 20 games 30 goals. 0 Brownlow votes..

This Bio is from 2014.
Brilliant forward-turned-midfielder who remains one of the most dynamic and watchable players in the game despite approaching the twilight of his illustrious career. Missed five home-and-away games last year – one through suspension – but was still Geelong’s second-highest vote-getter in the Brownlow Medal with 19. Led Geelong for average possessions (25.8) and laid a career-high 14 tackles against the Western Bulldogs in round 16.

Last edited:
Curious, do posters on our board watch much non-Dockers footy?

Stevie was excellent late, in last 2/3rds of year he was statistically in the best handful for his role. No shit. And that would be the role where our incumbent misses 0 degree 25m shots in a PF...

Yet to make up my mind on this one, but if i was against it, would be for reasons other than ability and current form.

Gotta remember Geelong are forced to be brutal, or else they fall off a cliff. I think they didnt go far enough, giving that blouse Mackie another year.

Was hoping for this a while ago, would love to see him in our team. He was good this year once he finally got fit, just needs to do a proper preseason. I reckon they only got rid of him to make cap room for Danger. Plus him and Ballas tag-teaming would be worth the price of admission itself.

Wow, Righteo you just changed my mind.. But then I just thought I'd check his stats this year.. And I was surprised..
2015 20 games 30 goals. 19 Brownlow votes..
Brilliant forward-turned-midfielder who remains one of the most dynamic and watchable players in the game despite approaching the twilight of his illustrious career. Missed five home-and-away games last year – one through suspension – but was still Geelong’s second-highest vote-getter in the Brownlow Medal with 19. Led Geelong for average possessions (25.8) and laid a career-high 14 tackles against the Western Bulldogs in round 16.
As for the Freo fans that don't want him... Would you rather Stevie J or Suban/ De Boer in the team each week?

Wow, Righteo you just changed my mind.. But then I just thought I'd check his stats this year.. And I was surprised..

2015 20 games 30 goals. 19 Brownlow votes..

Sorry the bio is from 2014, so in 2015 average 1.5 goals from 20 games.. NO BROWNLOW VOTES IN 2015
2015 Season Average
Games Played 20
    • Kicks 12.8
    • Handballs 7.8
    • Disposals 20.6
    • Marks 4.9
    • Hit-Outs 0.0
    • Tackles 2.3
    • Goals 1.5
    • AFL Fantasy 86.6
So maybe Righteo has a point:rolleyes:

As a player he is cooked, as a coach he may bring something and it seems like helping a team get to their first premiership would be right up his alley (would love the attention he gets if we do it *stevie J was a key recruitment in freos first premiership blah blah*)

Worth getting him over just to have him coach Duffy one-on-one for a few months - Duffy will most likely be cut, which is a shame... much like Simpson the guy could feally be something to see if he wanted it enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to note that when Stuart Dew came from nowhere to play that amazing grand final for Hawthorn he was 29. Stevie Johnson is currently 32, and will be 33 if we make a grand final next year.

It is not as stupid as it sounds. Stevie may be a bit of a loose cannon on the field but off field He is well spoken and seems a good bloke.

He was on a footy show once and my Favorite Wife (who doesn't follow the footy at all) remarked what a nice fellow he was.
I've heard he is a ripping bloke off the field as well.

Might be worth a one year deal. May also swing Joel Corey our way as he is apparently keen to return to WA. Can't hurt to have a triple premiership player in the box.
I used to play footy with him... give me a day to get it sorted.

Sorry the bio is from 2014, so in 2015 average 1.5 goals from 20 games.. NO BROWNLOW VOTES IN 2015
2015 Season Average
Games Played 20
    • Kicks 12.8
    • Handballs 7.8
    • Disposals 20.6
    • Marks 4.9
    • Hit-Outs 0.0
    • Tackles 2.3
    • Goals 1.5
    • AFL Fantasy 86.6
So maybe Righteo has a point:rolleyes:

Do you? You've just thrown some stats and sarcasm at me.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Stevie J to Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back