Storm CEO request's upgraded stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Fire Storm

Premiership Player
May 11, 2003
currently unknown
AFL Club
Carlton
Taken from LU thanks to my old mate, Surandy. Cant discuss it there for obvious reasons.

The Age wrote:
New Storm chief pushes for Olympic Park upgrade
By Mark Fuller
September 17, 2004

New Melbourne Storm chief executive Brian Waldron believes the redevelopment of Olympic Park into a 25,000-seat, world-class stadium is pivotal to rugby league establishing the niche it deserves in Melbourne's competitive sporting market.

Waldron will make a priority of speaking to the Melbourne and Olympic Parks Trust when he starts with the Storm on November 1, intensifying the club's push for improvement to a venue he describes as "an eyesore".

The outgoing St Kilda Football Club chief executive, appointed to the Storm post this week, says he would be eager to work with prospective Victorian-based Super 14 rugby union and premier league soccer teams to create a venue that meets the needs of the rectangular-field football codes.

Waldron also intends to lobby the State Government for assistance in the redevelopment of the ground.

"We probably have to ask the question: does the State Government see the Melbourne Storm or a rugby union side or any other side alternative to an AFL side being important to the state?" he said.

The former Richmond football manager has embraced the possibility of a Super 14 team being based in Melbourne, insisting a new rugby union franchise would complement the Storm's business objectives rather than threaten its supporter base.

In a week in which Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy at times struggled to find an appropriate training venue for his team as it heads into a National Rugby League semi-final, Waldron said the Storm must have better playing, training and administration facilities if it is to realise its potential on and off the field.

"I think the team under the guidance of Bellamy will be successful long-term, but we need a facility, for starters, that they can play at, that is conducive to the type of crowds we'd like to attract long-term and we need a training facility that is also conducive to the group being able to perform at their best," Waldron said.

"I think Olympic Park is the right place but, as it currently stands, unfortunately, it's an eyesore in what is a fantastic complex."

Support for the Storm has plateaued in recent years, with the club attracting a league-low average of 8800 fans to home games, and it has had million-dollar losses.

But Waldron, who has helped lift St Kilda's bottom line from a $2.7 million loss in 2002 to a projected profit for $1.5 million this year, believes the club can lure bigger crowds by tapping deeper into the Melbourne culture and the city's business sphere. To that end, he plans to form an advisory board involving the city's senior business people.

"I think the brand is a healthy brand but I think the brand needs to find its place and what it stands for," Waldron said.

"The rugby league is an experience that people will enjoy, and I think that we can see it being an event on a fortnightly basis - whether that be Friday, Saturday or Sunday - that I'd like Melbourne people to experience."

To the long-term frustration of its administration and fans, the Storm has struggled to gain television exposure in Melbourne from the game's official broadcaster, Channel Nine. It is a matter Waldron intends to address.

"I think you earn the right to that type of exposure but I think also what we'd like to see is league being given a fair go in the market," he said.

At least he has a pro-active plan for the club.

Being a former CEO of an AFL club will do the Storm no harm either in that game's biggest market.

Be interesting to see how he goes, but he's off to a good start IMO.

Hicham.

New Melbourne Storm chief executive Brian Waldron believes the redevelopment of Olympic Park into a 25,000-seat, world-class stadium is pivotal to rugby league establishing the niche it deserves in Melbourne's competitive sporting market.
I couldnt agree more!!

The outgoing St Kilda Football Club chief executive, appointed to the Storm post this week, says he would be eager to work with prospective Victorian-based Super 14 rugby union and premier league soccer teams to create a venue that meets the needs of the rectangular-field football codes.
I couldnt agree more!! I've been arguing for exactly that type of cooperative approach between the codes to upgrade a suitable venue for years!!

Waldron also intends to lobby the State Government for assistance in the redevelopment of the ground.

"We probably have to ask the question: does the State Government see the Melbourne Storm or a rugby union side or any other side alternative to an AFL side being important to the state?" he said.
Of course they should!! The potential for a multi-million dollar boost to the economy annually, particularly with the more international Union franchise, is pretty significant.

The former Richmond football manager has embraced the possibility of a Super 14 team being based in Melbourne, insisting a new rugby union franchise would complement the Storm's business objectives rather than threaten its supporter base.
I couldnt agree more!! I've been arguing that point for years!!

In a week in which Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy at times struggled to find an appropriate training venue for his team as it heads into a National Rugby League semi-final, Waldron said the Storm must have better playing, training and administration facilities if it is to realise its potential on and off the field.
I couldnt agree more!!

"I think the team under the guidance of Bellamy will be successful long-term, but we need a facility, for starters, that they can play at, that is conducive to the type of crowds we'd like to attract long-term and we need a training facility that is also conducive to the group being able to perform at their best," Waldron said.

"I think Olympic Park is the right place but, as it currently stands, unfortunately, it's an eyesore in what is a fantastic complex."
I couldnt agree more!!

Support for the Storm has plateaued in recent years, with the club attracting a league-low average of 8800 fans to home games, and it has had million-dollar losses.

But Waldron, who has helped lift St Kilda's bottom line from a $2.7 million loss in 2002 to a projected profit for $1.5 million this year, believes the club can lure bigger crowds by tapping deeper into the Melbourne culture and the city's business sphere. To that end, he plans to form an advisory board involving the city's senior business people.
Great strategy!!

"I think the brand is a healthy brand but I think the brand needs to find its place and what it stands for," Waldron said.

"The rugby league is an experience that people will enjoy, and I think that we can see it being an event on a fortnightly basis - whether that be Friday, Saturday or Sunday - that I'd like Melbourne people to experience."
I couldnt agree more!

To the long-term frustration of its administration and fans, the Storm has struggled to gain television exposure in Melbourne from the game's official broadcaster, Channel Nine. It is a matter Waldron intends to address.

"I think you earn the right to that type of exposure but I think also what we'd like to see is league being given a fair go in the market," he said.
I agree, but I believe that NRL involvement is absolutely crucial in securing increased FTA coverage of the Storm in Melbourne. I doubt whether the Storm can secure increased coverage alone without a direct NRL involvement.

I like the way this bloke thinks.. He's talking the same language I've been talking for years!!

Storm would do well to have guys like this on board. Sounds very pro-active, and yeah, the park badly needs an upgrade (but the question will be will the crowds warrant that? - gonna be an obstacle if the taxpayers are expected to fork out, unless the olympic park trust are going to wear the burden?)

dr nick said:
Storm would do well to have guys like this on board. Sounds very pro-active, and yeah, the park badly needs an upgrade (but the question will be will the crowds warrant that? - gonna be an obstacle if the taxpayers are expected to fork out, unless the olympic park trust are going to wear the burden?)
I think it's safe to say that current crowds are well below what's expected, partly bcoz of a substandard venue. IMO there is no doubt that a high quality modern world class 25000 all seater boutique stadium could see the melbourne storm average 15-20000 indefinitely.

littleduck said:
I think it's safe to say that current crowds are well below what's expected, partly bcoz of a substandard venue. IMO there is no doubt that a high quality modern world class 25000 all seater boutique stadium could see the melbourne storm average 15-20000 indefinitely.

Chicken or the egg ? It's always been the case that you get the crowds first to justify the expense of expansion .Besides you can't get any better than the Telstra Dome can you !

cos789 said:
Chicken or the egg ? It's always been the case that you get the crowds first to justify the expense of expansion .Besides you can't get any better than the Telstra Dome can you !

And what do you care?

pcpp said:
And what do you care?

OP is big enough for Storm's crowds .
Telstra stadium is always there if you want bigger or better .
The WARL is bleating that the Glory want $5000 for Perth Oval after a multi million dollar upgrade .
To my knowledge AF is paying for all it's upgrades throughout Australia .
Sydney still don't have an AF purpose built ground .

cos789 said:
OP is big enough for Storm's crowds .

The issue is not about the crowds, its about the stadium quality

Telstra stadium is always there if you want bigger or better .

The problem is that its too big. It's be a huge embarrassment to see 8,000 in a 50,000 stadium.

littleduck said:
IMO there is no doubt that a high quality modern world class 25000 all seater boutique stadium could see the melbourne storm average 15-20000 indefinitely.

Biggest problem is for that boutique stadium to be build on the current site of Olympic Park, would be that the Olympic Park Trust aren't going to get rid of the Athletics Track and even if they were the work on it couldn't start until late April 2006.

I think you won't get your boutique stadium for League/Union/Soccer unless you agree to an upgrade of Bob Jane Stadium, which in far from ideal for all code because the location, access and in soccers case South Melbourne Soccer Club having the final say in all ground work.

What I think will happen is you'll see a new Western Stand being built, which gives fans more comfit and most importantly cover from the wind and rain. The Eastern might have facitilies upgraded in it and the end could be turned into seating with cover for the corners. Also I would hope the light towers on the Western Side would be moved back from beside the track to behind the stands to open up more room for seating and the like.

Still the Athletic Track will remain

pcpp said:
The problem is that its too big. It's be a huge embarrassment to see 8,000 in a 50,000 stadium.

So you want to expend millions of dollars on a new 25,000 seat capcity stadium so you can embarass 8000 people .

What about the VFL they get around that figure to their finals .Are we going to build nice new quality stadiums to house their fans or are we going to continue to let them play where they have for the last 150 years .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cos789 said:
So you want to expend millions of dollars on a new 25,000 seat capcity stadium so you can embarass 8000 people .

A "new" stadium? Where did you get that idea? It's an upgraded stadium.

What about the VFL they get around that figure to their finals .Are we going to build nice new quality stadiums to house their fans or are we going to continue to let them play where they have for the last 150 years .

AGAIN, Its not the crowd numbers! Are you reading any of the posts? It's the quality of the stadium. Olympic Park is a s**thole.

pcpp said:

AGAIN, Its not the crowd numbers! Are you reading any of the posts? It's the quality of the stadium. Olympic Park is a s**thole.

So Olympic Park is the real reason as to why the NRL struggles for support in Melbourne. Whatever. :rolleyes:

cos789 said:

:D I demand a $1 billion upgrade to the North-Port Oval!

Maybe then, Port Melbourne could get crowds in excess of 200,000 people to home games.

Beaussie said:
So Olympic Park is the real reason as to why the NRL struggles for support in Melbourne. Whatever. :rolleyes:
Nobody has suggested that! But the poor quality OP ground is one of several reasons why the Storm are struggling to grow their crowds.

The most sophisticated marketing plans in the world might be able to get Melbournians to go to a game, but the quality of the venue and the entertainment experience on match day is the reason they return.

IMO it's reasonable to work towards a cooperative approach between RL RU & soccer to upgrade OP into a high quality boutique venue with a capacity around 25000. IMO that would be a win/win/win for all 3 football codes.

robbieando said:
Biggest problem is for that boutique stadium to be build on the current site of Olympic Park, would be that the Olympic Park Trust aren't going to get rid of the Athletics Track and even if they were the work on it couldn't start until late April 2006.

I think you won't get your boutique stadium for League/Union/Soccer unless you agree to an upgrade of Bob Jane Stadium, which in far from ideal for all code because the location, access and in soccers case South Melbourne Soccer Club having the final say in all ground work.

What I think will happen is you'll see a new Western Stand being built, which gives fans more comfit and most importantly cover from the wind and rain. The Eastern might have facitilies upgraded in it and the end could be turned into seating with cover for the corners. Also I would hope the light towers on the Western Side would be moved back from beside the track to behind the stands to open up more room for seating and the like.

Still the Athletic Track will remain
The Victorian Govt should have upgraded OP and its athletics track for the Cth Games so that it could continue post-Games.

What we have now is a multi million dollar track installed on the outskirts of the MCG for a 2 week event and then ripped up the next day. Where is the legacy in that for future track stars?

littleduck said:
The Victorian Govt should have upgraded OP and its athletics track for the Cth Games so that it could continue post-Games.

What we have now is a multi million dollar track installed on the outskirts of the MCG for a 2 week event and then ripped up the next day. Where is the legacy in that for future track stars?

The Athletic Track at OP is being upgraded for the CG's in 2006. It will serve as the warm up track. In fact the re-laying of the track started a few weeks back

Could the Storm use Telstra Dome for some big games???

How much time does Telstra Dome need to configure AFL - NRL then back to AFL? Maybe Storm could try get a deal for when AFL has a free weekend or no Sunday game at TD.

Would it look to tacky on TV with all the line markings on the grass and how much damage does the stands coming forward do to the ground?

As for the crowd, just open the first two tiers, leave the huge top one empty. If they get 20K or something like that, then it will look good on TV and be a great atmosphere for the Storm.

THe only problem is will they make money out of Telstra Dome? I think this is where the new CEO working with some key business people may help. Get a business to sponser the big games at TD, say only 3 a year. NRL under a roof, only in Melbourne!!!

Could be worth a shot!

What would be good as well is if they could get huge banners like what the AFL used during GF, to cover all the top seating, with Melbourne Storm logos and name on it, so on TV you couldn't see the empty seats, just a huge banner going all the way around stadium.

Okay, it does sound a bit stupid, but anything to get rid of the look of an empty stadium.

gocats said:
Could the Storm use Telstra Dome for some big games???
Absolutely, but OP would still need an upgrade.

How much time does Telstra Dome need to configure AFL - NRL then back to AFL? Maybe Storm could try get a deal for when AFL has a free weekend or no Sunday game at TD.
The issue isn't time, it's how much it costs to reconfigure. I've suggested that a Vic S12 side and the Storm could each pitch in to have the ground reconfigured, particularly since there are 3 AFL-free weekends in Melbourne at the start of the NRL season. It baffles me why the Storm don't use this 3 week window of opportunity more than they have! It provides a golden opportunity to start the season with a couple of home game blockbusters at TD!!

Would it look to tacky on TV with all the line markings on the grass and how much damage does the stands coming forward do to the ground?
Line markings are fine. I doubt whether the grass would be damaged too much as it would be a temporary move presumably for a few days.

As for the crowd, just open the first two tiers, leave the huge top one empty. If they get 20K or something like that, then it will look good on TV and be a great atmosphere for the Storm.
Yeah.

THe only problem is will they make money out of Telstra Dome? I think this is where the new CEO working with some key business people may help. Get a business to sponser the big games at TD, say only 3 a year. NRL under a roof, only in Melbourne!!!

Could be worth a shot!
Yeah!

pcpp said:

Its exactly the statium the RL deserves in Melbourne it suits the low class feral nature of the game. As for waldron a failed AFL CEO should just do the trick.

butterflykiss said:
Its exactly the statium the RL deserves in Melbourne it suits the low class feral nature of the game. As for waldron a failed AFL CEO should just do the trick.

Ooh it hurts! If naziism couldn't wipe RL out, what makes you think something southerners said to Northerners 110 years ago will?

butterflykiss said:
Agh... it burns... IT BURNS!!!

Failed?? - uh huh. Though if i was able to get a club like st kilda from what they were 2-3 years ago to now i wouldnt be complaining.

Remove this Banner Ad

Storm CEO request's upgraded stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back