Straz, Devon, Polony, Fritz, Windsor Sausage, Luncheon Meat

What did you call luncheon meat growing up?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You gotta tell us the other Forward Press

Need To Know Bau GIF by Paramount+

Definitely Devon in my (east coast) fam, was crazy for that or loquat jam in my early childhood sangas, although don’t remember having lunch meat (inc. cocktail franks) much beyond single digits (save in a toastie). Cabanossi for nibblies was the popular perennial growing up. School sangas I most associate with things like PB&J (apricot), black bean sauce (lee kum kee), Nutella, etc.

I think we were poorer in the devon days though. Dad used to fish most of our meat then.

Last edited:
When I was little in country Vic we called it "Beef German". Not sure if that was just a family or local town thing or what. Then I got older and never had it any more.

I wasn't until I moved to Adelaide as a 20 year old that "Fritz & sauce" seemed much more of a thing. Even for supposedly functioning adults. That was when I came to know most Victorians called it Devon, but I never heard it called that until much later. Maybe because we lived in dairy farming area and the products became "Devondale" and someone thought that was confusing? I dunno. I heard WA-er called it Polony some years later.

I maintain that Stras is a different type of luncheon meat compared to Devon/Fritz/Polony. It's a more spackled consistency with the fat more obvious. Like this:
PRIM-9310568186537-0-1980x1980.png

And then the Americans. They have something called "bologna" which they pronounce "baloney" because they are mostly ****wits. I believe this is slightly different as well, tending to be more spiced and smokey than our Devon/Fritz/Polony. But might be wrong here.

I lived in the NT for a few years, don't remember "round meat" but nothing would surprise me up there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Straz (short for strassburg) and devon were two separate things. We had both.

We also had presswurst in the house quite a bit:

RS44-Presswurst-250_600x600.jpg

Fritz is rugby league country. Devon southern Australia. Polony in WA.

It's one of the language markers you can use to separate Australian English into dialects.
In NSW we called it Devon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Straz, Devon, Polony, Fritz, Windsor Sausage, Luncheon Meat

Back