Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Video on the Whateley & Dermie chat - if you go to the GWS tag you'll find the chat on our game such that it is.

C'mon guys! What do we care?

Whateley is clearly having fun here... being a clown, and laughing at his own joke...

When did we get so precious that we can't have a laugh?

Whateley is clearly having fun here... being a clown, and laughing at his own joke...

Especially so precious about an arbitrary thing like his top 4 seeds in the comp. Who cares?

We did see that last year. They've dialled it back for whatever reason. In the moment the commentators discussed it too so it's not just buckley or me.

oh yeah, i knew it was discussed a bit after the game ... but nothing further until buckley brought it up ... i just couldn't see anything in it suggesting rowbottom had any kind of case to answer ... accidental

oh yeah, i knew it was discussed a bit after the game ... but nothing further until buckley brought it up ... i just couldn't see anything in it suggesting rowbottom had any kind of case to answer ... accidental
Watching it again, he had a fistful of his jumper and drags him to ground. Definitely lucky IMO.

Watching it again, he had a fistful of his jumper and drags him to ground. Definitely lucky IMO.
Rowbottom's legs give out and he goes to ground before the GWS player even does. How's he supposed to prevent the Giants player's fall when he can't even prevent his own?

IMG_0085.jpeg

On Whately, he did not like being satirised early this year for the preview of the Pies v Swans game where the Swans were not mentioned at all. At least Buckley apologised.

Whately has had way worse takes. His championing of Langer as coach and Mitch (Nepo Man) Marsh as a Test Cricketer were completely wrong headed.

I genuinely didn’t mind Gerard back in his ABC days but he’s completely lost the plot since jumping to SEN.

He’s about as astute as Kane Cornes with his takes these days, with less shock value.
I agree with you. Gerard used to be the best of the lot on the ABC so when SEN came calling he was able to name his price. This obviously included trips overseas every year to cover major sporting events (Ashes, Superbowl, etc) as well as what I imagine would have been a substantial pay day. However, after a period of time he has adapted to the SEN model where they need to promote listener engagement so they can show the numbers to advertisers, and the best way to do that is to say something that will generate calls and texts - that is how he is rated internally. If 'listener engagement' is up then it means advertisers pay more and he gets a bigger pay day next contract negotiation.
This also happens to a degree on Fox where the number of viewers can actually be tracked (as opposed to radio), so the more he generates discussion, the better. This also assists him with his profile on SEN and is good for that business as well - and visa versa.

All of this is to say that he is an astute media 'personality' who curates what he says to maximise profit for the business and therefore support the contractual amount he is being paid. It is exactly the same for Cornes.

At the end of the day, their views and opinions hold no more weight than those of the the bloke down the pub sitting alone at the table with 3 empty schooner glasses and tomato sauce down the front of his shirt.

Last edited:
Rowbottom's legs give out and he goes to ground before the GWS player even does. How's he supposed to prevent the Giants player's fall when he can't even prevent his own?

View attachment 2029317
By letting go of the jumper? If you can't control the tackle that's on you. You have a duty of care to not slam your opponents head into the ground.

At the end of the day, their views and opinions hold no more weight than those of the the bloke down the pub sitting alone at the table with 3 empty schooner glasses and tomato sauce down the front of his shirt.
There's really no need to bring me into this

Every team we play will be 'The Contender' until we lose. If we lose twice, we will be a small country pub team that has lost its ability and lucky to be a top 4 team. The big 4, Blues, Magpies, Bombers and the Hawks are the real deal.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

By letting go of the jumper? If you can't control the tackle that's on you. You have a duty of care to not slam your opponents head into the ground.
He couldn't control the tackle because he was falling to ground. There's duty of care and then there's just plain accidents. In a wet weather game where players were constantly going to ground there was no way this was ever going to be looked at.

He couldn't control the tackle because he was falling to ground. There's duty of care and then there's just plain accidents. In a wet weather game where players were constantly going to ground there was no way this was ever going to be looked at.
Quite likely why it was assessed as reasonable. I'm just expressing why I thought it could have been cited.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In truth a top four list that updates every week says nothing - you don't need skill to name the top four each week, that's what the table is for. For me this update each week is pretty much choosing a team on GF day that you think is going to win. Not much skill required.

Remove this Banner Ad

Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back