Swans to snatch Brownlow defeat from the jaws of victory?

Remove this Banner Ad

BF Tiger

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
The Swans keep winning and they keep winning well. While i don't doubt the entire team is contributing every time I read a match report and look at the best players I seem to be reading the same names. In particular Heeney, Gulden and Warner with a good helping from the likes of Grundy, Papley, Blakey and a few others.

In the AFL Coaches award Heeney has polled in 11 of 12 wins prior to this round, Gulden in 10 and Warner in 9. Grundy has polled in five games. All four might feature in the votes for the win over GWS today. Heeney sits first, Warner fifth and Gulden sixth.

So my question is will the Swans end up stealing Brownlow votes off each other and allow another player to slip through and win the umpires' award? I think it is highly likely that we could see two Swans in the top five and another in the 6-10 range, but a player from another team with the medal around his neck at the end of the night.

Please let it not be Lachie Neale.

Daicos has pretty much no competition for votes plus Pies winning. Swans boys will steal votes off eachother. Bont is better then all but wont play in as many wins. Will be interesting.

Heeney is the deserving winner so far this year. Bont would be a feel good story for one of the all time greats who's unluckily missed out on a few in years past.

Daicos would be a travesty.

Cripps a smoky.

Can't really see any other names getting close this year atm.

didnt seem to be any trouble for the likes of black, akermanis, ablett or bartel
When Bartel won it I think Ablett was the favourite. Both polled in 11 games.

When Aker won he and Voss polled in the same game three times and he and Black polled in the same game once. When Black won he and Voss polled in the same game once and he and Aker polled in the same game three times. I think two of Heeney, Warner and Gulden might be polling together in more games this season than what those three did in two seasons.

Heeney is the deserving winner so far this year. Bont would be a feel good story for one of the all time greats who's unluckily missed out on a few in years past.

Daicos would be a travesty.

Cripps a smoky.

Can't really see any other names getting close this year atm.

TDKs recent emergence may hurt Cripps chances of a Brownlow.

Heeney raced ahead but it seems that Warner has well and truly caught up recently.

I can definitely see a scenario where both are a genuine chance at winning and finish on 30 votes each. It certainly allows another contender to swoop in and pip them though.

Thread reminds me of 2021 when the Melbourne media got upset that Oliver didn’t win because he had Petracca and Gawn taking votes off him, and Wines was undeserving. And no one bothered to do their math to see that Wines, Boak and Amon actually polled more votes than the Melbourne trio.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heeney raced ahead but it seems that Warner has well and truly caught up recently.

I can definitely see a scenario where both are a genuine chance at winning and finish on 30 votes each. It certainly allows another contender to swoop in and pip them though.
I don't either would have polled yesterday
Gulden with 41 and a goal would have

The Swans keep winning and they keep winning well. While i don't doubt the entire team is contributing every time I read a match report and look at the best players I seem to be reading the same names. In particular Heeney, Gulden and Warner with a good helping from the likes of Grundy, Papley, Blakey and a few others.

In the AFL Coaches award Heeney has polled in 11 of 12 wins prior to this round, Gulden in 10 and Warner in 9. Grundy has polled in five games. All four might feature in the votes for the win over GWS today. Heeney sits first, Warner fifth and Gulden sixth.

So my question is will the Swans end up stealing Brownlow votes off each other and allow another player to slip through and win the umpires' award? I think it is highly likely that we could see two Swans in the top five and another in the 6-10 range, but a player from another team with the medal around his neck at the end of the night.
We may see a repeat of this but with Heeney, Warner and Gulden

1719097029419.png

Here's hoping anyway :D

A fair bit of random hate for Naicos in this thread. He’d be as deserving as anyone if he wins.

Suspect the medal is still in Heeneys control, 3-4 votes ahead, Bont/Cripps/Naicos/Warner rounding out the top 5. Cripps is a real danger with his vote getting history

Still don't understand that in an environment where umpires get so criticized by the fans for their decisions, that those same fans give so much creedence to the Brownlow medal, an award based on the decisions of umpires.
Yep. Why I’ve never given it much interest.

I don’t hate the umpires; I think they have an incredibly tough gig. And I don’t pay any heed to umpiring conspiracists.

But the incredible complexity of our game makes umpiring it - by definition - never better than subjective.

Heeney, Warner and Gulden are definitely stealing votes from each other. It is rare to have 3 such good midfielders who you could make a genuine case for each of them being the best of the three. Even guys like Judd, Cousins and Kerr most people would agree Judd was the best of the three. Harder to do with Heeney, Warner and Gulden and I think it is a flaw in the Brownlow system that it makes it harder for a player to win it if he has two other really good midfielders around him.

Nothing was stopping Cripps, but outstanding effort from the three Swans.

Heeney - 28 votes (4th*)
Gulden - 25 votes (8th)
Warner - 23 votes (11th)

Only polled the 3-2-1 in one round but 2 of the three polled in 12 rounds together.

15 x 3 votes, 12 x 2 votes, 7 x 1 vote

Only three rounds where one of the trio didn't poll a vote.

Nothing was stopping Cripps, but outstanding effort from the three Swans.

Heeney - 28 votes (4th*)
Gulden - 25 votes (8th)
Warner - 23 votes (11th)

Only polled the 3-2-1 in one round but 2 of the three polled in 12 rounds together.

15 x 3 votes, 12 x 2 votes, 7 x 1 vote

Only three rounds where one of the trio didn't poll a vote.
You'd much rather see that as a coach than what we saw at Carlton and Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Swans to snatch Brownlow defeat from the jaws of victory?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back