Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

You’ll still see it, either looking from the ground or even more so when you’re looking at the stand from behind. There’s not a chance that that would get national heritage approval.

Any new works would need to be complementary, and it’s just easier to mount cameras on an adjacent grand stand and have the vision off centre. Either that or have cameras on the opposite wing to use for night games only.
So not even build and use and keep up for 24-48hours?

So not even build and use and keep up for 24-48hours?
I can't imagine it's feasible to having a temporary broadcast box that's constructed/deconstructed before and after every game.

Couldn't they put something on top of the O'Reilly Stand (i.e. on the outer side)? Or would the glare from the sun be an issue with that?

I can't imagine it's feasible to having a temporary broadcast box that's constructed/deconstructed before and after every game.

Couldn't they put something on top of the O'Reilly Stand (i.e. on the outer side)? Or would the glare from the sun be an issue with that?
not a broadcast box - just a platform for the 2 cameras

like this

1662597923301.png

you see these at grounds where they play pre-season games. or darwin, alice, cairns, maybe manuka and in tassie

Why not construct a box on the roof of the Brewongle Stand and put the cameras / operators up there?

Or put the camera’s on the other side of the field, so we can see the nice members and ladies stands on tv.

So there already are rooms inside the roof structure of the Brewongle Stand….

1e89e47f8a5003f4c79b48bade0b13b7.jpg

And the SCG is not a symmetrical oval, as the outer wing is 5m shorter than the near side wing.

13e1e635d45963a82c3dc9b94cbf2f55.jpg

So the field could be turned 2 degrees and line up with the new position of the camera’s, and no one would even notice.

Does anyone want to suggest this to the SCG?

I feel like I remember there being games on tv at the SCG and the pocket closest to the camera on the left tended to be partially blocked by the roof of the Ladies Pavilion.

1331da94418874e8b78332b1780ceb5f.jpg

Almost as if the cameras did use to be in the rooms in the roof of the Brewongle Stand.

The mish mash of new and old is pretty ugly.
I believe there were plans to knock down and rebuild the Bill O’Reilly Stand, but I'm not sure what's happened to this. That stand is a shocker. Badly needs to be rebuilt to properly integrate it with the rest of the stadium with an increased capacity.

Last edited:
I believe were plans to knock down and rebuild the Bill O’Reilly Stand, but I'm not sure what's happened to this. That stand is a shocker. Badly needs to be rebuilt to properly integrate it with the rest of the stadium with an increased capacity.
That got delayed and shelved by building New Allianz and the subsequent media controversy surrounding it. The back of Bay 11 of the Trumper Stand has a hilariously bad view because of the O'Reilly Stand (this however, doesn't affect Rugby League, Union or Soccer games as much as AFL or Cricket games). The Brewongle/Churchill Stand will probably get a refurb once the Swans Gym, Offices and other rooms (not the changerooms) get moved into the old Pavilion and Hall of Industries building a bit down Driver Avenue

That got delayed and shelved by building New Allianz and the subsequent media controversy surrounding it. The back of Bay 11 of the Trumper Stand has a hilariously bad view because of the O'Reilly Stand (this however, doesn't affect Rugby League, Union or Soccer games as much as AFL or Cricket games). The Brewongle/Churchill Stand will probably get a refurb once the Swans Gym, Offices and other rooms (not the changerooms) get moved into the old Pavilion and Hall of Industries building a bit down Driver Avenue

Would any of these rebuilds/refurbs increase capacity, or just improve amenities?

Would any of these rebuilds/refurbs increase capacity, or just improve amenities?
If the re-do the O'Reilly Stand, the replacement will likely be an extension of the Victor Trumper Stand (built about 10 years ago). It might add a little capacity, but not that much.

Replacing the O'Reilly Stand should push capacity above 50k for the first time since the late 80s whereas there should be no change in the Brewongle-Churchill Stand, just improved facilities and more room for corporates and functions with the freed up space

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'SYDNEY’S unofficial voice of cricket for the last half a century has declared it’s time for the SCG to get a drop-in pitch.
ABC Commentary doyen Jim Maxwell who this week called his 50th Sydney Test match, says it’s time to wave the white flag for his beloved ground’s traditional wicket square after another drawn Test.'

'.. Maxwell, a member of the SCG’s Media Hall of Fame, is convinced a move to a drop-in wicket would actually enrich the quality of Test cricket in Sydney as it has done at Adelaide Oval and the MCG.

“I’m sorry, dig up the pitch and put in a drop in,” Maxwell said.'

The Swans are smiling:
“Jim Maxwell is 100 per cent correct. It’s astonishing to me that it hasn’t already happened,” Swans Chairman Andrew Pridham told News Corp.

“The AFL is the predominant sport that drives the economics of the stadium and to us it seems extraordinary that despite repeated undertakings from the Trust that it would move to a drop-in wicket that it hasn’t yet occurred. And it should.”

Is Jim Maxwell correct to say the Swans train on the SCG ?

With Sydney’s changing weather patterns, racing and cricket are problematic. The SCG is no longer fit for purpose for cricket or footy. The Swans are the most popular team in Australia and the present ground is too small to accomodate.

Sydney requires a racetrack that can be covered and a big 70k plus state of the art stadium with a retractable roof. Randwick could be redeveloped provide for the future.

With Sydney’s changing weather patterns, racing and cricket are problematic. The SCG is no longer fit for purpose for cricket or footy. The Swans are the most popular team in Australia and the present ground is too small to accomodate.

Sydney requires a racetrack that can be covered and a big 70k plus state of the art stadium with a retractable roof. Randwick could be redeveloped provide for the future.
There's no way any major money will be pumped into the SCG after the huge political football that was New Allianz Stadium anytime soon, plus half of Sydney's underwater whenever there's any sort of cricket on

There's no way any major money will be pumped into the SCG after the huge political football that was New Allianz Stadium anytime soon, plus half of Sydney's underwater whenever there's any sort of cricket on

cricket and footy would move to Redeveloped Randwick.

Cancelled via rain race meetings cost the gambling and racing industry heaps. The NSW Govt also loses big time. Allianz was a joke from the start and the SCG is beyond recovery for cricket and footy.

Costs could be met by gambling investment, State and Federal Government investment as well as Racing NSW, CA and the AFL. Further costs could be offset by residential development within the existing footprint of the SCG. Alan Jones would shriek but that would add to public support.

cricket and footy would move to Redeveloped Randwick.

interesting but where would the horses go?
Allianz was a joke from the start

No argument about that.
SCG is beyond recovery for cricket and footy.

The SCG is OK and there is room for a little development.
The SCG missed out by not looking far enough ahead.
The SCG could have extended into the showgrounds and bought airspace over driver AVe.

Nothing worse than trying to navigate around a mish mash of different stands.

Nothing worse than a number of seats lost due to interfered sightlines.
You mean like the MCG where you can't get into the Ponsford Stand from the Warne or Olympic stands without going outside?

The Swans moved into their new facility at the old Pavilion and Hall of Industries this week so I expect that there will be a refurbishment to the Brewongle/Churchill Stands soon now that there's more space in the stands available

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back