Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we just gotta accept we're the heel in GF's that the good guy teams must beat to have their feel good ending. Freo's first flag and the Saints will be next at our expense.

I can't remember a game where the supporters have been so universally angry about a performance.

I was so nervous before the game, way more nervous than I have ever been, because I just knew we had an awful performance in us. So nervous that I was really annoyed that I didn't have the foresight to parlay (pun intended) the feeling into a gambling investment.

It was all so predictable and depressing. And that is saying something when you have been humiliated in the three previous grand finals when it should be almost impossible to play so badly again.

But our midfield would get beaten up. Our defenders would be undersized and outmatched. Our key forwards would have no impact. Our smaller players would look slow and injured.

And now, no matter how well we are playing in the regular season in future seasons, we will always have in the back of our heads that we will probably fold and collapse under pressure in finals.

And we will never get any explanation into why we underperformed so badly again from the club. We might get a few cliches about sticking together and working harder.

What a day!

Premiership Club memberships are about to become suddenly available me thinks. Waiting list will be slashed.

Maybe i'll get more leg room , not sure if
of you was next to me but had a real wide legs apart set up

No apology pls. That would look pathetically weak. Just internalise the disappointment and use it to fuel a premiership run next year.

Yeah not an apology maybe just a we were ****en woeful

I can't remember a game where the supporters have been so universally angry about a performance.

I was so nervous before the game, way more nervous than I have ever been, because I just knew we had an awful performance in us. So nervous that I was really annoyed that I didn't have the foresight to parlay (pun intended) the feeling into a gambling investment.

It was all so predictable and depressing. And that is saying something when you have been humiliated in the three previous grand finals when it should be almost impossible to play so badly again.

But our midfield would get beaten up. Our defenders would be undersized and outmatched. Our key forwards would have no impact. Our smaller players would look slow and injured.

And now, no matter how well we are playing in the regular season in future seasons, we will always have in the back of our heads that we will probably fold and collapse under pressure in finals.

And we will never get any explanation into why we underperformed so badly again from the club. We might get a few cliches about sticking together and working harder.

What a day!
That’s the worst part . We could be 23-0 and there would be this dark cloud hanging over us , coupled with the fact the oppo will know we will shit the bed and get extra beliefe. It’s a doubled edged sword I’m not sure we can over come

What a day!
Get flogged once, okay, shit day, we'll bounce back.
Lose a winnable game, it hurts but they tried.
Get flogged again, It really hurts, but they're young, were a strong club they'll address it
Flogged again and now there needs to be accountability. It's not just disappointment and sadness now, it's resentment.

Get flogged once, okay, shit day, we'll bounce back.
Lose a winnable game, it hurts but they tried.
Get flogged again, It really hurts, but they're young, were a strong club they'll address it
Flogged again and now there needs to be accountability. It's not just disappointment and sadness now, it's resentment.

Seems like most feel the same way, which is comforting in some way.

I am not sure I could deal with the whole 'we still love you. you tried your best. The faithful are still sticking fat' garbage you get in other forums.

That’s the worst part . We could be 23-0 and there would be this dark cloud hanging over us , coupled with the fact the oppo will know we will shit the bed and get extra beliefe. It’s a doubled edged sword I’m not sure we can over come
This is what I’m worried for this group

It’s jus my human nature to think like this

If I we’re a player that’s the thoughts I would think

I really can’t see this group Winn ing one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel it may have been mentioned here or somewhere else, but i'd like to see something like this happen, not as extreme and it probably won't happen in today's world but it would be cathartic to know this won't be accepted which is what it currently feels like.

Fresh from an 83-point humiliation at the hands of fierce rival Hawthorn, the Bombers family – players, staff, partners and supporters among them - had gathered for a post-Grand Final function, with some paying decent coin to be there.

Little did they expect, however, what was to come when coach Kevin Sheedy took the microphone.

“It was time for Kevin to say something,” then-president Greg Sewell

“Well, you could have heard a pin drop after five or six words. He said, ‘If I see anybody in this room with a smile on their face, I’ll throw you out’. There was silence, and he just went on. He gave all of us the biggest serve ever about how we’d let ourselves down.”

Sheedy, who had seen his side embarrassed in his first Grand Final at the helm, remembered the moment vividly.

“It burnt a hole in their hearts and their minds,” Sheedy said.

“I didn’t hold back. I got an absolute baking from my wife because it probably hurt the players a little bit, but I think it hurt the girlfriends and wives more as well as the supporters.

“I mean, why would you want to go and celebrate the worst loss in VFL Grand Final history? You’re kidding yourself [if you do].”

But Sheedy wasn’t done there.

“We had the post-mortem at Windy Hill on the Monday,” champion midfielder Tim Watson said.

“He made us watch the whole Grand Final again and he would pause, and rewind, then fast-forward. It went for a long, long time.”

While Sheedy’s post-game approach may have come as a shock to some, there was a method to it.

The master motivator’s intention was clear - let the loss linger in the players’ minds and spur them on to go one step better.

No club will fear us anymore
I can tell you how it will play out.

Longmire will make a speech about resiliency and team and 'getting to work'.

Pridham will make a speech about how we are the most supported club in the league (like anyone believes that bs).

And Heeney will win.

I'm gonna take note how often 75k members and the biggest club in the AFL gets touted out.

This is what I’m worried for this group

It’s jus my human nature to think like this

If I we’re a player that’s the thoughts I would think

I really can’t see this group Winn ing one

The whole club now carries this regardless of changes

Maybe it's been around since 2016

Only one way to lift it and it's not easy

I feel it may have been mentioned here or somewhere else, but i'd like to see something like this happen, not as extreme and it probably won't happen in today's world but it would be cathartic to know this won't be accepted which is what it currently feels like.

Fresh from an 83-point humiliation at the hands of fierce rival Hawthorn, the Bombers family – players, staff, partners and supporters among them - had gathered for a post-Grand Final function, with some paying decent coin to be there.

Little did they expect, however, what was to come when coach Kevin Sheedy took the microphone.

“Well, you could have heard a pin drop after five or six words. He said, ‘If I see anybody in this room with a smile on their face, I’ll throw you out’. There was silence, and he just went on. He gave all of us the biggest serve ever about how we’d let ourselves down.”

Sheedy, who had seen his side embarrassed in his first Grand Final at the helm, remembered the moment vividly.

“I didn’t hold back. I got an absolute baking from my wife because it probably hurt the players a little bit, but I think it hurt the girlfriends and wives more as well as the supporters.

“I mean, why would you want to go and celebrate the worst loss in VFL Grand Final history? You’re kidding yourself [if you do].”

“We had the post-mortem at Windy Hill on the Monday,” champion midfielder Tim Watson said.

“He made us watch the whole Grand Final again and he would pause, and rewind, then fast-forward. It went for a long, long time.”

While Sheedy’s post-game approach may have come as a shock to some, there was a method to it.

The master motivator’s intention was clear - let the loss linger in the players’ minds and spur them on to go one step better.

There is ZERO negative zero chance anything remotely like that happens at the club dinner 😂

Most likely scenario next year is the Bombers win their first final against us in 20 years then get belted the next week because they're still shit.

The club has no balls to do something like this.

If most people failed this spectacularly with limited effort there would be a performance review.

Be all for it

Difference is Horse needs a massive bake too.

There's a long road back to being truly respected by the football world....it's at the point where nothing but a competitive GF performance will win it back. It's a long road back there. I don't think anyone outside swans people would be keen to see us back there either, unless you're our opposition on the day.

25 not going to be the most fun season whether we're good or shit side, and if we're good it will take a whole year of not showing that ****ing soft underbelly at all for anyone to believe it's really gone. We play uncompetitively once and no opposition will fear us at all. It happened this year, nothing was quite the same after those Bulldogs and Port loses happened.

Won’t matter if we have a generational change and this group of players don’t win one, this stigma of us being grand final choke artists will be part of the clubs DNA and the general footy world/media until we finally do win one. It will be in everyone’s heads

Almost as bad as the 72 year drought.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back