Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a long road back to being truly respected by the football world....it's at the point where nothing but a competitive GF performance will win it back. It's a long road back there. I don't think anyone outside swans people would be keen to see us back there either, unless you're our opposition on the day.

25 not going to be the most fun season whether we're good or shit side, and if we're good it will take a whole year of not showing that ****ing soft underbelly at all for anyone to believe it's really gone. We play uncompetitively once and no opposition will fear us at all. It happened this year, nothing was quite the same after those Bulldogs and Port loses happened.

If we start 25 in a blaze of wins people will get excited still.

It's not until you are back at the MCG on the last day shit really hits and you think here we go again.

Everyone near me was talking about ptsd and the the robbie williams concert and hope we start well.

we all know it's there , they know it's there

yuck

all love em but like others said only one way to fix it

I feel it may have been mentioned here or somewhere else, but i'd like to see something like this happen, not as extreme and it probably won't happen in today's world but it would be cathartic to know this won't be accepted which is what it currently feels like.

Fresh from an 83-point humiliation at the hands of fierce rival Hawthorn, the Bombers family – players, staff, partners and supporters among them - had gathered for a post-Grand Final function, with some paying decent coin to be there.

Little did they expect, however, what was to come when coach Kevin Sheedy took the microphone.

“It was time for Kevin to say something,” then-president Greg Sewell

“Well, you could have heard a pin drop after five or six words. He said, ‘If I see anybody in this room with a smile on their face, I’ll throw you out’. There was silence, and he just went on. He gave all of us the biggest serve ever about how we’d let ourselves down.”

Sheedy, who had seen his side embarrassed in his first Grand Final at the helm, remembered the moment vividly.

“It burnt a hole in their hearts and their minds,” Sheedy said.

“I didn’t hold back. I got an absolute baking from my wife because it probably hurt the players a little bit, but I think it hurt the girlfriends and wives more as well as the supporters.

“I mean, why would you want to go and celebrate the worst loss in VFL Grand Final history? You’re kidding yourself [if you do].”

But Sheedy wasn’t done there.

“We had the post-mortem at Windy Hill on the Monday,” champion midfielder Tim Watson said.

“He made us watch the whole Grand Final again and he would pause, and rewind, then fast-forward. It went for a long, long time.”

While Sheedy’s post-game approach may have come as a shock to some, there was a method to it.

The master motivator’s intention was clear - let the loss linger in the players’ minds and spur them on to go one step better.
All for it. But the question is who gives the bake? The coach that can't get his players to turn up to a Grand Final 3 out of the last 4 times? Or the Chairman of the club who promised him a job for life? They all need to be sprayed.

THE IRONY OF lOGAN BEING SUBBED OFF DUE TO AN INJURY HE CARRIED INTO THE gf IS NOT LOST ON ME, WITH hEENEY INJURED WE QWWERE BASICALLY 2 MEN DOWN, NO EXCUSE BUT, YEAH, MADE ANY COMEBACK HARDER.
Have you stolen my keypad

If we start 25 in a blaze of wins people will get excited still.

It's not until you are back at the MCG on the last day shit really hits and you think here we go again.

Everyone near me was talking about ptsd and the the robbie williams concert and hope we start well.

we all know it's there , they know it's there

yuck

all love em but like others said only one way to fix it

Nah 2024 is evidence even when we were well on top they were echoes in here of i hope we show up/make it count etc

Let me guess you’re happy with the club atm.

Yay we made the gf guys let’s celebrate. The club is an absolutely laughing stock atm.

Don’t worry mate , we will bring pressure next yea and it will be all good
Time to let it go on here now.
Have a break. The love will come back. It’s just what happens. Do you think the players aren’t hurting?
All of them are angry at themselves & each other for sure. As supporters we really need them to come good mentally & regroup so that we can once again enjoy the season win, lose or draw.

We can’t shit on our club when there are so many worse. We can’t punish them for ever for being good enough to make the finals first but then the Grand Final. Yep we lost another one but decisions will be made accordingly.
I can’t help but be proud of the club for the opportunity but yes, I’m still also quite angry.
Glass half full has to be my approach.

That Kate McCarthey rat is bragging that see declared us downhill skiers , she's no good and trying to be a female Cornes

yep its stings we gave the critics so much satisfaction

Deep down inside, I knew it was coming and it happened.

2022 and 2024 was just numbness, as if I was staring into the abyss. Didn't even get the chance to be mad. When Hipwood kicked a goal from the boundary, all I could do is sigh.

We have all become used to it...

Oh god, I agree with Josh Jenkins 🙃

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've vented all yesterday here and I'm not done. Maybe it is because I love this footy club and what it should stand for, The Bloods.

Where is the blame after dominating the season? How can a side go 71-0 in a H&A game before even scoring? Culturally, we have moments of brilliant resilence when we are up against it but on the odd occasion AND IN GRAND FINALS we utterly shit the bed and don't have any other plan when Horse is being OUTCOACHED. The gap between our very best and worst is #1 and #18 in the comp.

I mean, seriously. Why not play man-on-man yesterday and force the Lions to work for their space. We had an extra week off and could have played out the game longer and we have shown that this season. Instead, Lions just carved us up on the offence and didn't turn the ball over which is our bloody game plan in a nut. When we had the pill, we just set up their defence through lack of execution, lazy skills and doing 'shit' if you are 6,7 goals up (I mean play the bloody percentages lads)

Horse is becoming too easy to read, and when we are getting dominated in centre and marking game, he seems to continue backing in a flawed plan.

Hard to know how the club will respond because let's be honest, we've had 3 opportunities to 'redeem' GF losses.

Longmire, as head coach, needs to take accountability and responsibility for the utter trash that has been dished up in GFs. Good leaders lead and own mistakes. They have followers. Horse needs to take ownership for what has been dished up and the players will follow.

Love this club.

Nah 2024 is evidence even when we were well on top they were echoes in here of i hope we show up/make it count etc

Ok I know if we start well and play well, I will quickly be caught up in it 😂

Deep down inside, I knew it was coming and it happened.

2022 and 2024 was just numbness, as if I was staring into the abyss. Didn't even get the chance to be mad. When Hipwood kicked a goal from the boundary, all I could do is sigh.

We have all become used to it...
It was the 10 year anniversary of Langford’s arsey bounce goal against the Hawks in 2014.

I've vented all yesterday here and I'm not done. Maybe it is because I love this footy club and what it should stand for, The Bloods.

Where is the blame after dominating the season? How can a side go 71-0 in a H&A game before even scoring? Culturally, we have moments of brilliant resilence when we are up against it but on the odd occasion AND IN GRAND FINALS we utterly shit the bed and don't have any other plan when Horse is being OUTCOACHED. The gap between our very best and worst is #1 and #18 in the comp.

I mean, seriously. Why not play man-on-man yesterday and force the Lions to work for their space. We had an extra week off and could have played out the game longer and we have shown that this season. Instead, Lions just carved us up on the offence and didn't turn the ball over which is our bloody game plan in a nut. When we had the pill, we just set up their defence through lack of execution, lazy skills and doing 'shit' if you are 6,7 goals up (I mean play the bloody percentages lads)

Horse is becoming too easy to read, and when we are getting dominated in centre and marking game, he seems to continue backing in a flawed plan.

Hard to know how the club will respond because let's be honest, we've had 3 opportunities to 'redeem' GF losses.

Longmire, as head coach, needs to take accountability and responsibility for the utter trash that has been dished up in GFs. Good leaders lead and own mistakes. They have followers. Horse needs to take ownership for what has been dished up and the players will follow.

Love this club.

Grant ****en Thomas tipped exactly how it would go pre game, he just guessed 40 points

If he and others see it, why doesn't our coach

some interesting reading here from a neutral observer. So, Hipwood's freak goal, like Langford's 10 years ago, was the difference between winning and losing for the Swans? Oh well, I guess the 10-10+ goal margin in the two GF's wasn't relevant, just those two arsey goals lol.
tbh, I am far more interested in why your ultimate poseur, Isaac Heeney (who hasn't had a kick in his three GF's) suddenly developed a serious limp after the game yesterday.... looking back a week ago, with the same injury, he was running around like a madman after the final siren. Ditto the week before.
I'm glad Kane Cornes also noticed it.
As a neutral supporter, I was barracking for the Swans yesterday, but it soon became clear that until your Club recruits a few actually tough players, and not primadonnas, like you had in 05 and 12, and gets themselves a decent coach, this ground hog day will just keep on keeping on.
genuinely annoyed about another crap GF, our great game deserves a whole lot better than the fraudsters from Sydney.

Love this club.
I was sitting there yesterday watching players guard space instead of playing man-on-man & I felt a mixture of puzzlement and anger.

No idea what on earth that plan was hoping to achieve.

And I never will.

But what do I know, I’m just a bloke in the crowd.

some interesting reading here from a neutral observer. So, Hipwood's freak goal, like Langford's 10 years ago, was the difference between winning and losing for the Swans? Oh well, I guess the 10-10+ goal margin in the two GF's wasn't relevant, just those two arsey goals lol.
tbh, I am far more interested in why your ultimate poseur, Isaac Heeney (who hasn't had a kick in his three GF's) suddenly developed a serious limp after the game yesterday.... looking back a week ago, with the same injury, he was running around like a madman after the final siren. Ditto the week before.
As a neutral supporter, I was barracking for the Swans yesterday, but it soon became clear that until your Club recruits a few actually tough players, and not primadonnas, like you had in 05 and 12, and gets themselves a decent coach, this ground hog day will just keep on keeping on.
genuinely annoyed about another crap GF, our great game deserves a whole lot better than the fraudsters from Sydney.
As a neutral observer, try reading the thread in more detail and take off your one-eyed glasses and see that none of us here are saying we lost because of freak goals.

Who do you think you are? Keep your hate of Sydney for your own board, champ.

Hi Tassie Hawks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Sydney Legacy in Grand Finals continues 10 goal loss to the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back