• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not all have the same

A Investment
B Restrictions (lack of F\S [2])
C Operate in non traditional states
D Have had AFL ignore investment & development in their states

(see earlier posts)

Happy for the AFL to fully funds all NGA's and Academies, remove priority access so long as they also remove F\S (outdated and distorts the draft) and stops players from taking (via stating they want to stay at home) and making all talent available across the draft.

Also remove the benefits for crapness in Priority Picks (North Recently as an example) and additional picks.

You know, remove all the problems.
nah, go the other way.

Encourage all clubs to invest more in academies and give them all equal benefits. New teams without fs options should get temporary advantages to the system eg larger catchment areas but only temporarily eg 50 years or so. More investment into youth development the better.

They are a great thing, but I think they need to look at the concessions in some degree, but not over board like they did to the Vic teams NGA.

No problems with reviewing it as time passes, even if that means taking away all concessions, as long as it is justified.
All of the hand wringing, from the usual suspects, about academies always follows the Swans winning games.
It's almost like those people think that's the ONLY reason the Swans are successful.

I have said it before and I will say it again...
If high draft picks and draft concessions were such a surefire way of getting success then why haven't Gold Coast or GWS won a flag yet?

NSW and QLD did not have the same dedicated pathways of the traditional football States.
There was no VFL, SANFL or WAFL to develop juniors.
Hence the development of the Northern Academies.
To promote growth of talent in those states for the benefit of the sport.

Every local kid drafted is one less drawn away from the traditional states.
And eventually, more talent developed that can be absorbed into the Northern Clubs

From 2014: https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/5076/qbe-sydney-swans-academy-explained

But in true AFL tradition, once something starts to work we create a response to the uproar.
No angst until the Heeney draft IIRC (Mills following)
So,

From 2016: https://www.afl.com.au/news/152063/victorian-clubs-handed-afl-funding-for-academies

2018 Draft (the infamous Blakey draft) saw Tarryn Thomas (North Melbourne #8) and (Isaac Quaynor #13) both taken in the top-20.
There were more NGA and academy selections and F\S that year.

But again, once another Club gets a perceived benefit greater (JUH), queue more uproar and rule changes.

No doubt there will be more restrictions on Sydney and Brisbane following the draft last year (Brisbane) and Sydney's current form.

So be it, nothing stays the same forever, sepecially in knee jerk AFL headquarters.

nah, go the other way.

Encourage all clubs to invest more in academies and give them all equal benefits. New teams without fs options should get temporary advantages to the system eg larger catchment areas but only temporarily eg 50 years or so. More investment into youth development the better.
I disagree, but thats kind of the point.

Can't please everyone.

You’ve wine premierships and been in finals most years since we’ve been in the competition

Tell me again how disadvantaged you are.
Take a look inside your Club Lach.

Recruitment
Development
Coaching (Game tactics)

Tell me how much of your 'disadvantage' has been based on our success.

We have some advantages, currently reaping the benefits of the Academy training. Dedicated Home Ground (although uniquely absent of 'home team umpiring').

Your Club is in a traditional AFL State, you have also the ability to target WA players you have ignored that want to return home (such as the SA Clubs are currently doing) [which is exactly why the Northern Academies exist, to create local talent]. and the dedicated Home Ground. Your travel > than ours but even our Club President is vocal on that front on behalf of the WA Clubs.

Maybe focus on all the inequities instead of obsessing on one.

It's because those clubs actually make inroads into a competing market, the propped up Vic clubs don't offer anything.

Not that I'm advocating getting rid of any, BTW.
Yeah jeez the Giants had a mega crowd yesterday against basically their biggest rival!

No problems with reviewing it as time passes, even if that means taking away all concessions, as long as it is justified.
All of the hand wringing, from the usual suspects, about academies always follows the Swans winning games.
It's almost like those people think that's the ONLY reason the Swans are successful.

I have said it before and I will say it again...
If high draft picks and draft concessions were such a surefire way of getting success then why haven't Gold Coast or GWS won a flag yet?

GWS didn't because Vic teams poached the crap out of them as they matured.
Could field a finals quality team with thier "trade outs".

J.Cameron, A.Treloar, D.Shiel, T.Adams, N.Wilson, T.Tarranto, J.Hopper, W.Hoskin-Elliott, A.Tomlinson, J.Bruce, L.Plowman, Z.Williams, A.Corr, R.Lobb, J.Finlayson, B.Hill, T.Bruhn, A.Bonnar plus more.

Failmantle
View attachment 1993260

Googled Fremantle NGA Players
  • 2022 Drafted. Josh Draper. Peel Thunder. Conrad Williams. Claremont/Halls Creek.
  • 2021 Drafted. Eric Benning. Claremont/Kununurra. Jesse Motlop. Carlton FC.
  • 2020 Drafted. Brandon Walker. East Fremantle/Ghana. Joel Western. ...
  • 2019 Drafted. Liam Henry. Derby. Leno Thomas. ...
  • 2018 Drafted. Jason Carter. Wyndham. FFC MAJOR PARTNERS.

:think:
We don't get to match bids on our players before pick 40 in the draft where Northern teams can do it from pick 1.

What part of that being unfair are you not understanding

We don't get to match bids on our players before pick 40 in the draft where Northern teams can do it from pick 1.

What part of that being unfair are you not understanding
I’m sure if you wrote (like this) you would also have [reading comprehension issues]. and you would also write really long sentences that are irrelevant in the context of a thread that is about the swans academy and how it’s a bit of a joke.

I hope that clears things up.

GWS didn't because Vic teams poached the crap out of them as they matured.
Could field a finals quality team with thier "trade outs".

J.Cameron, A.Treloar, D.Shiel, T.Adams, N.Wilson, T.Tarranto, J.Hopper, W.Hoskin-Elliott, A.Tomlinson, J.Bruce, L.Plowman, Z.Williams, A.Corr, R.Lobb, J.Finlayson, B.Hill, T.Bruhn, A.Bonnar plus more.

Is it possible to fit all those players under the salary cap??

By the time they're developed into quality AFL players, they are at the point where they can demand a good salary.
They get chased by other clubs with $$$$$.

I've been saying this for sometime now. This idea about the strength of the Swans academy is a big footy myth..our list is very very average. Players coming up through the academy threadbare.

On Saturday we had Pete Ladhams and Aaron Francis as emergencies. That's not good depth.

In terms of kids playing the game and being drafted, NSW remains very weak.
If anything it's an indictment on the other 16 teams we made it to the GF because we seriously aren't very good.

Lions Academy would thrash the Swans academy by 20 goals

I've been saying this for sometime now. This idea about the strength of the Swans academy is a big footy myth..our list is very very average. Players coming up through the academy threadbare.

On Saturday we had Pete Ladhams and Aaron Francis as emergencies. That's not good depth.

If anything it's an indictment on the other 16 teams we made it to the GF because we seriously aren't very good.

Wot.

Braeden Campbell pick 5
Isaac Heeney pick 2
Nick Blakey pick 10
Callum Mills pick 3
Gulden pick 32

So excluding Gulden, almost 20% of your best 22 is high draft pick academy players lol.

Brisbane's highest academy pickup is Eric Hipwood at pick 14. Most of our academy draftees have been in the mid-30s to 60s range.

Wot.

Braeden Campbell pick 5
Isaac Heeney pick 2
Nick Blakey pick 10
Callum Mills pick 3
Gulden pick 32

So excluding Gulden, almost 20% of your best 22 is high draft pick academy players lol.

Brisbane's highest academy pickup is Eric Hipwood at pick 14. Most of our academy draftees have been in the mid-30s to 60s range.
So we over paid for Campbell.
Gulden was in the open draft and nobody bid besides Geelong in the 30s.
New youngsters threadbare
Your academy now would thrash ours.
Your VFL/NEAFL side is better every year.
Sam Marshall will be drafted

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People don’t care about the depth, they worried about getting first round picks for next to nothing.

So we over paid for Campbell.
Gulden was in the open draft and nobody bid besides Geelong in the 30s.
New youngsters threadbare
Your academy now would thrash ours.
Your VFL/NEAFL side is better every year.
Sam Marshall will be drafted

So what you're saying is its swings and roundabouts. Sydney had a very good period where they got a decent crop from the academy and now its quietened down. You can't expect to be getting the hauls you were from your academy every few years. Developing talent isn't linear.

Any player that is draftable is a win. Harris Andrews was pick 61.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Sydney Swans Academy and Rebuild

Back