Coaching Staff Sydney Swans Assist Coaching & Recruiting Staff: The Brains Trust

Remove this Banner Ad

Current Sydney Swan Coaching Staff:

Head Coach: John Longmire Thread for Head Coach can be found here
Executive General Manager Football: Leon Cameron
Dean Cox
Jarrad McVeigh
Mark McVeigh
Ben Matthews

Swans Academy:
Colin O'Riordan (Male Academy)

Last edited:

One of the best interviews ever

Fascinating comments on Serong - sounds like his biggest regret

Cagey about Dyl being in and out of the team so much “same reasons he’s now in and out at North”

Will never fathom why North didn’t go for McDonald

Melican and his amazing private testing when no-one else wanted to know about him

Amarty’s Nigerian heritage noted for explosive power rather than endurance

No one wanted Rampe for years but once rookied he never gave us a reason not to pick him

And an insiders view on recruiting Franklin - only seven people knew right up to when we ll knew - and the fallout that followed

Critiques the Dawson situation

Its over an hour and all of it compulsive listening
Just for the sake of precision, Joel Amartey’s father is from Ghana, not Nigeria. Still West African, so the comment about West African power endurance holds. ( I have family married into a Ghanaian family, so I watch all the Ghanaian heritage footy players-Joel, Quaynor, Brandon Walker).

I think what was unsaid was that he talked himself into Dyl Stephens as well which he clearly regrets. He mentioned Dyl in the chat and that he's now also struggling to get a game at North but then kinda stopped himself from expanding on it. I reckon he talked himself into Dyl and thereby talked himself out of Serong which hurts.

If that's the case, maybe it was a factor of Dyl nominally having some pace and ability to break away from congestion which at the time our midfield sorely needed. Turns out we got that with Warner unexpectedly but maybe that was what Serong was getting dinged for, not having that type of explosive pace.
Yeah, I guess he could have been avoiding throwing Dyl under the bus when talking about making a mistake, so focused more on not drafting Serong.

Just for the sake of precision, Joel Amartey’s father is from Ghana, not Nigeria. Still West African, so the comment about West African power endurance holds. ( I have family married into a Ghanaian family, so I watch all the Ghanaian heritage footy players-Joel, Quaynor, Brandon Walker).

Thanks for clarifying

Love watching Joel stringing game after game together and watching his confidence grow as a result

Just listened to Kinnear Beatson on the True Bloods podcast. Made me chuckle how open and talkative he was, until they got to the review of the Bulldogs game and it became more conversational and Beatson would just be like, "...yeah I'd agree with that," and then it was like he was trying to reach an essay word count.

Kinda suggests to me that he knows recruiting his domain and so he has full respect for the coaches and players in the footballing sense and doesn't want to comment much on that area.

Great interview with Kinnear Beatson by the True Bloods podcast. The succession plan is very much underway.

Talks about the importance of analytics and how the landscape of recruiting has changed over the years. Kinnear very much about the person and talks about why he picked Chad.

Thanks for this - really enjoyed it. I love KB and all that he's done for the club but there is a part of me that's kinda pleased that the Serong/Stephens FU still haunts him to this day. That's the kinda care factor I want from my list manager!

One of the best interviews ever

Fascinating comments on Serong - sounds like his biggest regret

Cagey about Dyl being in and out of the team so much “same reasons he’s now in and out at North”

Will never fathom why North didn’t go for McDonald

Melican and his amazing private testing when no-one else wanted to know about him

Amarty’s Nigerian heritage noted for explosive power rather than endurance

No one wanted Rampe for years but once rookied he never gave us a reason not to pick him

And an insiders view on recruiting Franklin - only seven people knew right up to when we ll knew - and the fallout that followed

Critiques the Dawson situation

Its over an hour and all of it compulsive listening
Yep. Incredible interview. Quality questions, very open and interesting answers.
Loved KB telling us about the succession plan and the who and why and how it links into the AFLW people. Fascinating.

Shout out to the coaching crew - love your work this year!!

Happy I Like It GIF

Adam Simpson sacked.
I know there are murmurs about the succession plan for Cox to take over Horse but no doubt Dom Pyke and West Coast will do everything in their power to get a favourite son back there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Sydney win this year and next I would not leave if i was him. Chance of threepeat.
Let’s just beat North this week.
This lot of coaches couldn’t help get the players over the line against Richmond & Saints who are both deplorable footy teams this year.

Let them go if they need to.

Hope we don't lose cox. Decent assistant coaches are too bloody hard to find and if he leaves, who's next in line as senior coach? If cox leaves and horse calls it a day next year we're screwed imo.
Yes, but no way Horse will leave on his own accord while we're in this huge premiership window (reckon till at least 2028).

Let’s just beat North this week.
This lot of coaches couldn’t help get the players over the line against Richmond & Saints who are both deplorable footy teams this year.

Let them go if they need to.
Yet they managed to coach the team to 13 wins and sit on top of the table two games clear and 20% ahead. Go figure.

Yet they managed to coach the team to 13 wins and sit on top of the table two games clear and 20% ahead. Go figure.
Irrelevant when it matters.
Big finals & Grand Finals in Victoria.
That’s where my mind is when I watch the team.
This last two weeks has been in the making for a little while now with our starts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching Staff Sydney Swans Assist Coaching & Recruiting Staff: The Brains Trust

Remove this Banner Ad

Back