AFL Grand Final Sydney vs Brisbane. Chad vs Neale. 2024 AFL Grand Final Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

What's your take on the major flaws in their strategy and prep?
If you go back and watch the highlights, Lohmann’s first goal, Brisbane have a chain of four uncontested marks from half back right up the middle. I turned to my mate and said “that was too easy, Sydney don’t seem to have realised they are playing Brisbane”. Didn’t look like Sydney had gone in with a plan to deny their kick-mark game at all.

At that point Sydney were two goals up.

If you go back and watch the highlights, Lohmann’s first goal, Brisbane have a chain of four uncontested marks from half back right up the middle. I turned to my mate and said “that was too easy, Sydney don’t seem to have realised they are playing Brisbane”. Didn’t look like Sydney had gone in with a plan to deny their kick-mark game at all.

I went back and looked at the entire play, Starcevich won an intercept mark, and Brisbane had a chain of 10 (!) uncontested marks afterwards that resulted in the Lohmann goal. Only one of the kicks was a medium risk one, but there was no pressure from Sydney the entire chain.

Was that Clug chipping to Lester in the corridor waltzing forward unopposed? Yeah fair.

I thought the Parker plan was average. You're playing three talls but try tag Andrews with Parker, which let's Andrews dictate where he wants to defend, and robs you of forward pressure.

Flow on effect was they're not a great clearance team, Heeney was under wraps, Rowbottom was fighting a losing battle, but they stuck with Parker forward until the game was over.

But your point about perhaps not playing Brisbane's ball movement properly is a good one. Think longmire said as much in his presser. Cheers.

I thought the Parker plan was average. You're playing three talls but try tag Andrews with Parker, which let's Andrews dictate where he wants to defend, and robs you of forward pressure.

Flow on effect was they're not a great clearance team, Heeney was under wraps, Rowbottom was fighting a losing battle, but they stuck with Parker forward until the game was over.
yeah I thought that was ridiculous too. What worked against Aliir wasn’t guaranteed to work against a far superior player in Andrews.

What's going on with Logan McDonald
He was injured, The Swans took a risk, but didn't come off.
The same with Heeney.Apparently, Heeney has been carrying the injury all finals. Must have just got too much.
Swans guns were all out done yesterday. Heeney, Gulden, Warner, Papley, all had shockers.
I tipped Sydney by 27 points. I thought their run and stun would tear the Lions apart, but the reverse happened.
Brissies kids all stood up on the big stage where as Sydneys all fell apart.
Ashcroft was superb, and to think his younger brother joins them next season. The joys of assistance from F&S.
Great to see former South Fremantle player, Callum Ah Chee continue his great finals form. He played a major role in the win.
In regards to Logan McDoanald, he has never impressed me.Maybe he is going to be a late bloomer. Who knows.
Also well done to Darcy Forte, who more than held his own against a very experienced and highly regared ruckman in Brodie Grundy. He more than broke even I reckon. And how happy was Big Oscar for Darcy when he was being presented with his medal? Amazing sportsmanship.
Had a laugh when Oscar was being interviewed by C7 in the rooms. Sooo excited and holding his arm that was injured, saying that is was worse than when he injured it.
Great win by Brissie.

Last edited:
He was injured, The Swans took a risk, but didn't come off.
The same with Heeney.Apparently, Heeney has been carrying the injury all finals. Must have just got too much.
Swans guns were all out done yesterday. Heeney, Gulden, Warner, Papley, all had shockers.
I tipped Sydney by 27 points. I thought their run and stun would tear the Lions apart, but the reverse happened.
Brissies kids all stood up on the big stage where as Sydneys all fell apart.
Ashcroft was superb, and to think his younger brother joins them next season. The joys of assistance from F&S.
Great to see former South Fremantle player, Callum Ah Chee continue his great finals form. He played a major role in the win.
In regards to Logan McDoanald, he has never impressed me.Maybe he is going to be a late bloomer. Who knows.
Also well done to Darcy Forte, who more than held his own against a very experienced and highly regared ruckman in Brodie Grundy. He more than broke even I reckon. And how happy was Big Oscar for Darcy when he was being presented with his medal? Amazing sportsmanship.
Had a laugh when Oscar was being interviewed by C7 in the rooms. Sooo excited and holding his arm that was injured, saying that is was worse than when he injured it.
Great win by Brissie.
Big words.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'll be looked back on as a bust in a few years time unless he makes some serious improvements.
I suspect he will settle as the Hipwood/Marshall style career where he is always in the team when fit; but never truly taking that step up to star.

He has already done more with his career than the true busts like Schache and Weideman.

Well, I think I prefer the Freo season finish to the Sydney one. Their supporters must be gutted. Glad I didn’t watch that game, sounds like a waste of time for a neutral

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final Sydney vs Brisbane. Chad vs Neale. 2024 AFL Grand Final Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back