Rumour Tales from the Henley Beach Cafe: CROWS 2021 RUMOURS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

View attachment 1051714

NO Player would advise a club that he wants out, 6 weeks out from the 1st game of a new season ......his Manager wouldn't be that dumb

He may have said, via his Manager that he doesn't want to sign a new Contract at this stage ......but that's not unusual, he'd want to have a good season to strengthen his contract value

If this is true that McAsey isn't sticking around I don't have a problem with it. From what I saw last year he didn't show much to get excited about and I'm not sure why we drafted him tbh. The problem I have is that we didn't draft Heath Chapman at pick 11 last year who will be a much better player than McAsey imo. We now need to trade in an experienced KPB end of 2021 as a matter of urgency.

View attachment 1051714

NO Player would advise a club that he wants out, 6 weeks out from the 1st game of a new season ......his Manager wouldn't be that dumb

He may have said, via his Manager that he doesn't want to sign a new Contract at this stage ......but that's not unusual, he'd want to have a good season to strengthen his contract value
This. If he told the club that he wouldn't get a game as we would want to get games into players that are staying

If this is true that McAsey isn't sticking around I don't have a problem with it. From what I saw last year he didn't show much to get excited about and I'm not sure why we drafted him tbh. The problem I have is that we didn't draft Heath Chapman at pick 11 last year who will be a much better player than McAsey imo. We now need to trade in an experienced KPB end of 2021 as a matter of urgency.

is perhaps the problem that you genuinely can’t see why he was highly rated?

that you literally don’t know why, and can’t see what makes one player more highly rated than another

I cant believe how many have written off a 19 year old 6ft 6 key back.

How many CHB's play great games as 19 year olds the year they get drafted?

Talia was on our list for well over a year before he played his first game.
Rutten, Talia, Phil Davis, Bock, Rance, at the same age still hadn't debuted.

It's not that people have written him off, it's that people jump at shadows and think he's leaving.

I just think he’s a bit of an introvert. And people take that body language as disinterested or unhappy and are drawing the super long ‘he wants out’ bow from that alone.

In reality, not every 18 year old bloke has Ned McHenry’s or Ben Davis’ extravert personality. Some just keep to themselves a bit more. But that holds absolutely no weight in their playing ability, potential or contract status.

I definitely agree that its vital we come out even with McAsey. We certainly cannot afford to waste top 10 picks, especially with the Jones pick at the moment looking wobbly. That said Borlase also deserves a mention for being a big winner if McAsey goes, he's one I've written off as a nice depth piece but with limited scope to becoming a best 22 player (mainly just being a tweener and myself rating Butts very highly), however his situation does vastly improve if McAsey goes.

I'm definitely an adherent to the idea that you can cheap out in your key defensive stocks and rely on building a good defensive structure to get the most out of them instead of looking for a transcendent talent in the sector, so whilst I also think it's vital, I'd rather see whatever we recoup get invested into our midfield.

Defence works better with pressure on ball carriers heading in their direction. Stopping an opponent marking the ball is multiple times easier than marking it when someone's trying to stop you. The red carpet system we've preferred the last few years makes it as difficult as possible for defenders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah... agree, was more hopefull that he would come good but not looking likely.
I did read a post that he is having a good preseason so let's hope he can get back to the old Sloaney.

Just needs to stop playing injured. Plenty of kids to roll through the middle so he can get right. He can't carry the injuries he could in his early/mid 20's. We've got to start trusting the kids when the Tex, Talia and Sloane's are injured. Talia playing out the year with a torn meniscus while McAsey/Butts were left in the shed cannot continue.

Defence works better with pressure on ball carriers heading in their direction. Stopping an opponent marking the ball is multiple times easier than marking it when someone's trying to stop you. The red carpet system we've preferred the last few years makes it as difficult as possible for defenders.
+1

Poor McAsey got thrown to the wolves last year with the avalanche of ball that came down back. Still maybe that is a selling point to him..you got to see the worst of things and this year things will be on the up which we as a club want you to be a cornerstone of

I just think he’s a bit of an introvert. And people take that body language as disinterested or unhappy and are drawing the super long ‘he wants out’ bow from that alone.

In reality, not every 18 year old bloke has Ned McHenry’s or Ben Davis’ extravert personality. Some just keep to themselves a bit more. But that holds absolutely no weight in their playing ability, potential or contract status.
Yep, totally agree. I was thinking - would his demeanor be different were he in another team / club? Admittedly I know bugger all about him, but I don't reckon it would. I reckon he's just a quiet, focused kid like you said.

He also didn't have the greatest year last year (entirely understandable), but as he get's some good games under his belt his confidence will grow, which may help us see another side of him.

Half of the first 20 picks from McAsey's draft remain uncontacted beyond this year.

I think a comparison between our last 5 year's history of extending our most recent batch of draftees is more relevant. Other clubs may have very different policies. McAsey right now is an outlier, I went back to at least Lever and of all our first round draftees I think only one wasn't signed by round 1 of second year. I think they signed in April. Mostly they're signed during their first season or second off season. Leads me to be very confident in saying he'd have had a contract offer on the table for many months. It might be at v6.7, but it'd have been there in some form for a long time.

At the risk of repeating myself for around the 6th time, we write off young KPP’s far too quickly.

Nathan Bock thread (again...)

It's hard to believe someone can actually be that clueless...

2019 U18 All Australian Centre Half Back.
2019 Vic Metro M.V.P at the U18 Championships

Clearly the best Key Back in his draft year.

Daniel Talia reaching the twilight of his career and Kyle Hartigan not seen as a long term prospect at the time...and you're not sure why we drafted him?

WESTERN AUSTRALIA 2.6 4.9 9.12 12.14 (86)
VIC METRO 2.2 4.5 5.7 10.9 (69)

GOALS
Western Australia:
Henry 3, Taylor 2, Johnson 2, Thorne 2, J. Jackson, Bennell, Rivers
Vic Metro: Worrell 4, Jones 2, Honey, Dean, Bianco, Rowell

BEST
Western Australia:
Robertson, L. Jackson, Garcia, Rivers, Warner, Pasini
Vic Metro: Worrell, Rowell, Mott, Sturgess, Butler, McAsey

VIC METRO
3.2 3.4 5.6 7.9 (51)
VIC COUNTRY 3.1 5.4 6.9 9.10 (64)

GOALS
Vic Metro:
Cassar, Rowell, McAsey, Maginness, Jones, Honey, Ralphsmith
Vic Country: Smith 3, Cahill 2, Flanders, Hollands, Martin, Comben

BEST
Vic Metro:
Rowell, Anderson, Butler, Bergman, Cassar
Vic Country: Young, Serong, Ash, Rantall, Cahill, Sparkes

Sandringham Dragons product Fischer McAsey was prolific for Metro, racking up 19 disposals, seven marks and six rebound 50s.

VIC METRO 2.0 5.1 6.4 10.8 (68)
ALLIES 4.0 5.2 10.3 11.4 (70)

GOALS
Vic Metro:
Mahony 3, Bergman, Jeka, Jones, Rossiter, Rowell, Sturgess, Williams
Allies: Gore 3, Ellem 2, Gulden 2, Rosas 2, Green, Oea

BEST
Vic Metro:
McGuinness, Rowell, Mahony, McAsey, Anderson, Bergman
Allies: Green, Gulden, Gore, Parks, Cumberland, Peatling

1612598273974.png

The idea behind drafting McAsey was perfectly sound. I think he's going to bail at the end of the year though.
A year is a long time in football...

There is a lot of wasted energy by many speculating.

The idea behind drafting McAsey was perfectly sound. I think he's going to bail at the end of the year though.
Would be extremely disappointing.

He's not going to get a better chance of being an AFL player than he is here. Hamish and Co will always pick the best available but this would be a big black mark IMO

I'm not wasting energy worrying about it. If he leaves it will be water off a ducks back from my point of view.
Many are though.

Apparently we are losing every uncontracted player lol.

No point worrying about what we can't control.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back