Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2007
Box Hill
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill, Storm
We are currently in negotiations.

North playing games in Hobart will lead to changes in Tasmanain market over the next 5 years.

Where do people hope that we will end up?

Where should we be playing in 2015?

For the purpose of the poll, assume that three or less games will be V non - Vic clubs.

Please also be aware that there will likely be 22 games, and that we will play one (sometimes two) less home game in Melbourne from 2012 with GC & WS in.

The deal has been great for ALL parties. I can't understand why there are those who are so negative about it.

Yeah I know it's been great for Tasmanians such as you.
Hawthorn is a Melbourne based club and as such it should play ALL its home games in Melbourne.

As much as I would like us to retain the deal it is looking more like we may need to walk away. My view is that it looks like North will make a play for the sponsorship deal by offering 5 to 6 games and the main message coming from Tas politicians in recent weeks is about more games. North don't get crowds for interstate teams here and GC + GWS are only around the corner. I am certain the AFL is behind this, the reason for Richmond walking away and little to no info coming out on the North playing in Hobart arrangement.

Lots of political maneuvering too with federal ALP giving money to upgrade Arden Street (announced today - timing is everything) so North comes out and says we are a Melbourne club which is probably selling it's supporters the dummy or at the least softening the blow when they announce the Tas deal.

We all know Jeff loves a scrap as much as Clarko but hopefully cooler heads prevail and I am sure we can find a good sponsorship deal here. Unfortunately, we don't get big crowds playing interstate teams either and we will lose 8000 Tas members so the financial impact will be big.

I still think North will relocate to Tas in the medium to long term.

Hate it with a passion. Always have and always will

Ditch the deal and ditch Crapmania off our guernsey

Do you know how much the hawthorn football club is making out of its deal with tassie? its not just what the government pays its also the added memberships.
I cannot believe what some of you are saying, it is very insulting. I have been a hawthorn supporter for around 25 years and I live in launceston tasmania.
Most of us down here, are die hard supporters of the hawks that would hate for them to lose their identity by becoming a tasmanian side. They are the hawthorn hawks and always should be. Yes, it would be good to get more melbourne sides here in tassie. But the hawks seem to get a better deal out of it than we do and if they arent careful they will lose an important sponsor because of one greedy politician (who apparantly barracks for north melbourne)!

Before you judge tasmania, why don't you come down here to watch a game first and see how much support the hawks have down here.:mad:

Do you know how much the hawthorn football club is making out of its deal with tassie? its not just what the government pays its also the added memberships.
I cannot believe what some of you are saying, it is very insulting. I have been a hawthorn supporter for around 25 years and I live in launceston tasmania.
Most of us down here, are die hard supporters of the hawks that would hate for them to become a tasmanian side. The are the hawthorn hawks and always should be. Yes, it would be good to get more melbourne sides here in tassie, other than mainly interstate games. The hawks seem to get a better deal out of than we do and if they arent careful they will lose an important sponsor because of one greedy politician. he doesn't have a lot of support here because launceston will lose the football to hobart completely if there is a deal made with north. There is more on the line for hawks supporters in the north than just losing the priveledge to go to a footy game.
Before you judge tasmania, why don't you come down here to watch a game first and see how much support the hawks have down here.:mad:

Yes, we have 8000 Tas members paying $75, and 40K Vic supporters paying $200.

Many of us believe that that we could easily find another main sponsor, that if we lost 5K Tas members, that increased MCG crowds & reserve seal revenue would more than make up for it, and that 4 games (with 1/2 V Vic clubs) is too many. Especially once we lose a Vic away game or two to WS/CG & maybe another to North in Hobart.

Many of us believe that that we could easily find another main sponsor, that if we lost 5K Tas members, that increased MCG crowds & reserve seal revenue would more than make up for it, and that 4 games (with 1/2 V Vic clubs) is too many. Especially once we lose a Vic away game or two to WS/CG & maybe another to North in Hobart.

Now in your equation, are you figuring that those two games against interstate clubs will be at the Dome and be rather large losses in stead of guaranteed profits? Also did you calculate the merchandise loss from the pissed off Tasmanians? Did you also calculate the loss in value of any sponsorship when our membership drops by 5k?

I think the Tassie deal is a mile ahead! Not to mention working out how these calculations will look when it is our turn to drop to the bottom of the ladder in the future!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now in your equation, are you figuring that those two games against interstate clubs will be at the Dome and be rather large losses in stead of guaranteed profits? Also did you calculate the merchandise loss from the pissed off Tasmanians? Did you also calculate the loss in value of any sponsorship when our membership drops by 5k?

I think the Tassie deal is a mile ahead! Not to mention working out how these calculations will look when it is our turn to drop to the bottom of the ladder in the future!

What two games are you talking about?

Incorrect. 500 Tassie members pay over 300 for "Gold" memberships. Another thousand or so pay over 150 for Hudson Club seats. On top of that there are two other reserve seat packages for 140 and 120 which also have large numbers. This $75 thing is a furphy.

Incorrect. 500 Tassie members pay over 300 for "Gold" memberships. Another thousand or so pay over 150 for Hudson Club seats. On top of that there are two other reserve seat packages for 140 and 120 which also have large numbers. This $75 thing is a furphy.

Yes, but many pay $75.
We also have 14K Melbourne supporters with reserved seats paying $240 - $500.
The point is a Vic membership is worth more than 2 times a Tas membership.

Fairly obvious I would have thought.

Yes, but many pay $75.
We also have 14K Melbourne supporters with reserved seats paying $240 - $500.
The point is a Vic membership is worth more than 2 times a Tas membership.

Fairly obvious I would have thought.

the ones that pay $75 wouldn't have memberships, they would be paying that each year just for gate entry.

the last game played in tassie (and remember aurora stadium is currently being upgraded to a larger seating capacity at the moment) approx 16,000 people attended the game against the lions, a handful of people were dressed in lions colours and the rest were in brown and gold. The hawthorn football club could have a lot more members down here in tassie, but why would we bother with an attitude like yours?

3 Games Please. That's a compromise.

If not, I will consider gettig an AFL membership, because my current Gold Membership is not providing enough value for money IMO ... I only get 7 games to actually use my seats, throw in family and other commitments, I probably get to use my seats 4 times a year.

3 Games Please. That's a compromise.

If not, I will consider gettig an AFL membership, because my current Gold Membership is not providing enough value for money IMO ... I only get 7 games to actually use my seats, throw in family and other commitments, I probably get to use my seats 4 times a year.

Idealis, is is why we should not reduce our exposure in Melbourne. Where 40,000 of our members live.

I have exactly the same issue.

My personal preference is three games V interstate clubs. Plus an away game in Tas V North.

That would be: -
11 MCG - 8 home, 3 away
4 Tas - 3 home, 1 away
1/2 Etihad away
5/6 Interstate

End the deal now!

Rather than just make one of the silliest lone comments like you just have, maybe add some insight as to why you think the deal should end?

Seriously, biggest ******* comment I've seen on here since I joined.

The Tassie deal is great for Hawthorn, financially.

I've said it before as much as it makes me sick. We are a 95% chance to play 5 games a year down there and a 5% chance to play the current 4 games down there. Read Jeffs comments in the other Tassie thread, he said we had said to the Tassie Government that when the season goes to 24 rounds we would be prepared to play the extra home game down there, there is surely no way the government wouldn't opt to have 5 games down there instead of 4. In essence however we are actually loosing 2 games, from next season we will play North (Away) always in Tassie, not to mention that we will likely face Essendon at Ethihad and Geelong at Kardinia Park in the years to come. With 24 rounds, we may only get to see the Hawks 13/14 times in Melbourne each year.

There will not be 24 rounds.
Look at all the problems extending the season for 2011.
Also the AFLPA won;t stand for it.

But if there were then this would be Jeff's split.
Home 5 Tas 7 MCG
Away Interstate 6, Tas 1. 4 MCG, 2 TD.

That's 11 MCG.13 Vic games.

Not nearly enough.

Hopefull 22 rounds means no increase in Tas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tassie moving forward

Back