Preview Teams: Hawthorn vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would have liked another tall to be honest. Cats take alot of marks in defence and given Roughy is playing less forward and Buddy ain't the greatest overhead mark. Either Lilse or another ruckman with the view of subbing one off after half time could have been an option.

It's a tough decision. In theory I agree with you, but we have had some real success with the small forward line ( may just be a coincidence of getting on top in the middle too?). It was noticeable last week week after Lisle was subbed and Poppy and Bruest went forward, the pressure was superb. 2nd half vs Melbourne, vs St Kilda etc... tough call.

I would say this means that if Buddy doesn't come up then Renouf will come in as a second ruck, and Roughy will play as a key forward. This also appears to confirm that the club currently rates Bailey as first choice ruck.

I like the team, only change I might make is Smith in for Young, but I suppose Young should get two games to prove himself.

Great ins though, Hawthorn have come into $2.92 from $3.40 on Betfair since the teams were named.

I know sides dont line up as listed these days but a side with a Kelly, Selwood and Milburn on its bench is a pretty ominous looking side.

That said, if the planets align and our mid tier players do the business and thus bring our stars into the game it will be 4 points to us :thumbsu:

Great ins. Hope Young is the sub. Breust to start on field. Disagree about playing another tall. If we think they can win by pumping high balls in and taking contested marks I50 we are all kidding ourselves. Geelong excell at this game - Hawks are less than average. No wojo - get the ball to ground and run them ragged.

Agree with this.

Smith in for Young would have been ideal for mine, but more than happy to give Youngy another shot. He played really well for a quarter of footy last weekend (except for his kicking) so he may be able to come on as the sub halfway through the 3rd quarter and have the same kind of impact again.

Breust deserves a full game but I do get the feeling he'll get the sub gig again, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if he can have even close to the same impact he's been having while playing this role as of late.

Very happy to see Savage back also :thumbsu:

I reckon Buddy will play, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a late change or two from either side.

Must not give Chappy the ball within Geelongs 60mt forward arc....

Can someone text Clarko that please.....?

Haha, yeah that's the first thing i thought when i saw he was an in for the Cats. He's such a good player and he never seems to have a quiet one against us.

I know sides dont line up as listed these days but a side with a Kelly, Selwood and Milburn on its bench is a pretty ominous looking side.

That said, if the planets align and our mid tier players do the business and thus bring our stars into the game it will be 4 points to us :thumbsu:

Yes, that's a strong Geelong side. To win this one we'll need to put in a big effort at the clearances/stoppages.

With the out of Wojo and the in of Savage, do we have more run then Geelong? Birchall's been great, we know savage is, Shield works hard as does most of the backline for marks. ???

Wish Smith was in we'd probably be able to win by simply running hard into open space every time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't worry, we all know this and Clarko will instruct whoever is on him. That said, it depends on how well we execute it. But it definitely won't go unnoticed.

Big game. I think Freo's game was a great wake up call. The way we beat the bulldogs isn't a realistic long term game plan. They took tempo footy to another level. When the ground has a bit of dew and is a bit blustery, you can't pull that style off.

The lads need to use the short kicks when it suits and at the end of the day, we need to play with the same desperation as in the last qtr vs Freo. Let's hope.

The last time Wojcinski didn't play against the Hawks was when he was left out of the 2008 Grand Final.

In each of the 5 wins they have had against us since he has had minor effect in terms of number of disposals, however the run he provides makes him a 100m player, thus only 10-15 possies are required to make a scoring impact from the half back line.

I think he is a huge out, and I am actually quite optimistic about the Hawks this weekend compared to how I was feeling before the teams were released.

That's one very strong looking geelong side (geez look at the bench) - its going to be a cracker of a match.

Assuming gibson can break even/ beat the resting ruck up forward our backline matches up pretty well. Midfield will be a war and our forward line has the talent to really worry them - especially now our small forwards are staying in the forward line.

Key Match-ups for the match from our point of view:

Murphy to Johnson - Done the job before. Will have to wear him like a glove when he's down in the forward line, hopefully he pulls out a performance like he did against the Doggies.

Guerra/Puopolo to Chapman (when forward) - Don't know who would be best suited out of either of our players. Probably would have to lean towards Guerra simply because he's much more experienced and Puopolo could be undone by Chapman's canny-ness.

Guerra/Puopolo to Stokes - I think Puopolo could do a job on him. I think Guerra could probably get free a bit more running off Stokes compared to Chapman. Either way he's dangerous around goals and they'll have to be vigilant.

Lewis to Bartel - If he tags again I think Bartel would be a good match-up. Neither are quick and Bartel can play more of an outside role than Selwood, who would be harder to tag considering his game-style.

Sewell to Selwood - Will probably play off each other a bit, I hope Sewell backs himself in here and they go head-to-head.

From their point of view:

Lonergan to Franklin - when he's down forward. Don't know who would pick him up when he goes for one of his runs, I guess Mackie's the obvious choice.

Ling to Hodge or Mitchell - has done the job on both, but granted Hodge was playing on one leg last time around. Like others have said, I'd like to see Hodge moved forward if he's getting tagged by Ling - I expect he'll move onto Mitchell if this happens, in which case I'd like to see Hodge push up into the midfield again. Geelong have to roll the dice here, who do they tag? Maybe Burgoyne could feature too. I expect Kelly and or Corey will be given a job too.

Enright to Rioli - With Wojinski out I think Geelong will have to sit someone who's reliable on Rioli, and Enright fits the bill. Though this will probably stop some of their drive off half-back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back