The 2011 January Transfer Window thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think so. Gibson is severely overrated and that's saying a lot since he isn't rated much.

Everton could do with a Yakubu type :D

Cheap and a goalscorer.

Selling the Yak was a massive stuff up on our part.

Atm, we need bodies, we have a 17 man roster and have massive injuries at the moment. 500k doesn't buy much anyway, Gibson is decent value regardless.

We really needed a creative mid though, a center back (loan?) and striker.

In other news, Tim Cahill to QPR for 3 mil? I doubt he would be sold since he is Moyes lovechild. But he has been lame as a duck since the Asian Cup and is part of the reason why we struggle to score.

Selling the Yak was a massive stuff up on our part.

Atm, we need bodies, we have a 17 man roster and have massive injuries at the moment. 500k doesn't buy much anyway, Gibson is decent value regardless.

We really needed a creative mid though, a center back (loan?) and striker.

In other news, Tim Cahill to QPR for 3 mil? I doubt he would be sold since he is Moyes lovechild. But he has been lame as a duck since the Asian Cup and is part of the reason why we struggle to score.

Can't see Cahill moving anywhere other then to Sydney FC at the end of his Everton contract. He'll come good.

Some discussion Everton have agreed in principle with the sale to QPR, just a matter of convincing Cahill to make the move as he still obviously has couple years on his Everton contract. If the sale can be used to bring in another player and tie up a permanent deal for Royston Drenthe it would be brilliant business for Everton.

£500k for Gibson, plus £300k to provide helmets for the supporters in row Z at each end.

Read something yesterday which said that Everton have been a net spender in the transfer market every season since Rooney left.

Surprised me.

Hence why they are 1st on the Ligue 1 table :rolleyes:

Gameiro, Sissoko, Lugano, Menez, Pastore and most importantly keeping Sakho. Probably better then Man Citys first window with Abu Dhabi in charge

Was thinking this the other day. Even with big money takeovers, it doesn't happen overnight. You need to start smaller, make the club seem like it will be a big, successful club to tempt the right players. Man City's first window, from memory, yielded big names such as Barry, K Toure and Adebayor.

Our first window was actually before the takeover was formalised.

We signed Kompany and Zabaleta (amongst others) before the takeover was announced, and Robinho on the day the takeover was announced. Speculation how much Kompany and Zabaleta knew about the takeover but both have spoken about knowing "something big" was about to happen.

The takeover was formalised in October (or around then) that year, so the January window was our first (Bridge, Bellamy, De Jong, Given).

First summer window was the likes of Barry, RSC, Santa Cruz, Tevez, Adebayor, Kolo, Lescott.

Theres was a lot of discussion early in the piece about our signings, we signed a lot that would get us to the next level, but not beyond that. Hughes especially seemed obsessed with "premier league proven" players.

I suspect if Mancini had come in from the start, or even if Sven had have stayed beyond his one year that our signings would have had a very different look.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stelling just called Cahill the ultimate centre half on SSN.

Nowhere else to really put this.

Surely theres a "deluded", "clueless" and "plain wrong" forum somewhere.

Must not mention Liverpool thread, must not mention Liverpool thread

neymar signs a new contract to become a free agent in 2014.

Forgot Robinho was bought on deadline day as opposed to January. Still those January signings well blew.

As for this, it was agreed upon like six months ago you will find. Coal mining company in Brazil is bankrolling it by paying Santos out to end his contract. Its pretty complex. Technically hes signed to 2016 but he has a buyout clause which company A (forget name) has contractually agreed to pay which will then make him a free agent

Forgot Robinho was bought on deadline day as opposed to January. Still those January signings well blew.

They served a purpose at the time. Touch or go whether they'll be much use going forward (only De Jong left).

We were never going to change a mid table squad into a title winning squad in one go.

One thing we could have done is fill the team with "next big things" in the hope that they could contribute now, but still be part of the team going forward.

But PSG has which makes the knocking of there signings even more dumb.

I haven't knocked any of their signings, but they were hardly a mid table team when they were taken over.

Second in the league this time last season, and finished the season in fourth.

I haven't knocked any of their signings, but they were hardly a mid table team when they were taken over.

Second in the league this time last season, and finished the season in fourth.

Nah I was talking to year of the roo. I think Abu Dhabi took over a better team then people give credit for. Hart, Richards, Kompany and the like formed a pretty solid base to build upon

I think realistically we needed to replace 80% of our squad.

Our team for the last game of the previous year:

Andreas Isaksson
Sun Jihai
Javier Garrido
Vedran Corluka
Richard Dunne
Michael Ball
Gelson Fernandes
Stephen Ireland
Martin Petrov
Darius Vassell
Benjani

Result 1-8 vs Middlesbrough.

Spurs have signed Falque from Juventus who we had on a season long loan. We have now loaned him out to Southhampton. Not sure how much we signed him for.

Harry and co must like what they saw of him.

Link.

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2011 January Transfer Window thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back