Star Wars The Acolyte

Remove this Banner Ad

Guys, i don't think we need to get so pedantic and confrontational here, we don't need to have our backs up.

SM you meant to say two "of the" main character"s", you had a typo that left those parts out and it was slightly confusing on first read, but you've since clarified and it's all good.
No typo, it makes sense in both contexts and since the twins didn't die I'd think it's pretty clear.

Qimir. What if he’s been around SINCE that night 16 years ago? What if he’s some ageless Sith Lord remaining in the shadows, using outcasts and splinter groups to build his own knowledge while also remaining safe? Perhaps even taking possession of the young as his older body begins to deteriorate? Perhaps that’s why he helped create the twins? Who knows.

I also think there’s some clear links to the Knights of Ren. Not only his helmet which has an obvious similarity to Kylo but his over all design is evocative of the Ren from the comics. Plus, there’s also the obvious reference to Kylo REN’s theme in the final scene when Qimir is talking to the unconscious Osha.

There's another shot too. Figure disappears when the Jedi arrive.
This is the flaw of the episode unfortunately, the show isn't drawing me in enough on the simplest stuff to take notice of these subtle things in the background. Again back to The True Detective example, I remember the discourse on that show as it was airing, we were picking apart every scene, theorizing on what this poster or symbol could mean, or what that piece of cryptic dialogue meant. I just don't care about these characters to be engaged by these sort of stuff in The Acolyte. They needed to get the basis right and they haven't.

This is the flaw of the episode unfortunately, the show isn't drawing me in enough on the simplest stuff to take notice of these subtle things in the background. Again back to The True Detective example, I remember the discourse on that show as it was airing, we were picking apart every scene, theorizing on what this poster or symbol could mean, or what that piece of cryptic dialogue meant. I just don't care about these characters to be engaged by these sort of stuff in The Acolyte. They needed to get the basis right and they haven't.
Rotten Tomatoes score went from 13% to 14% after episode 5 so they must be doing something right.

This period tho is the time of Tenebrous. Plagueis is his apprentice. Plagueis has two apprentices and plays one off the other (which ends up being Palpatine) or disposes of one himself to make way for Palpatine.

I don't mind if the hooded figure is either Plagueis or Tenebrous.

This period tho is the time of Tenebrous. Plagueis is his apprentice. Plagueis has two apprentices and plays one off the other (which ends up being Palpatine) or disposes of one himself to make way for Palpatine.

I don't mind if the hooded figure is either Plagueis or Tenebrous.
None of that's Canon though, but yes I'd prefer Qimir be Plagueis' master. Then we could cover Plagueis overtaking him.

Don't really care for the rest of the show, just glad that Darth Bortles came true.

Loads of poor dialogue and the Osha/Mae acting is a bit jarring, but cool action scenes and definitely did not think
both Yord and Jecki would die

Not the best Disney+ offering but some promise.

Lightsabre fights = good
Dialogue = Bad
Mae = God knows what is going on with that character flip flopping all over the place
Anakin in the Prequels = Had some of the worst dialogue in movie history

This is a poorly written show, that much is obvious. Seeing a bloke in a cool helmet **** shit up was fun to watch though, so it had that going for it I guess.

The lightsabre fights were ok but went on too long. And in a dimly lit forest so it wasn't visually appealing.

Qimir can fly, he has a helmet that can withstand a lightsabre blow, and seems to have the ability to short-circuit other people's lightsabres. Doesn't this have retcon contradictions for what happens in future duels between Sith and Jedis?

The lightsabre fights were ok but went on too long. And in a dimly lit forest so it wasn't visually appealing.

Qimir can fly, he has a helmet that can withstand a lightsabre blow, and seems to have the ability to short-circuit other people's lightsabres. Doesn't this have retcon contradictions for what happens in future duels between Sith and Jedis?

No, cortosis has been in Star Wars since the 90s.

Imagine complaining that a lightsaber fight goes too long. PMSL.

No, cortosis has been in Star Wars since the 90s.

Imagine complaining that a lightsaber fight goes too long. PMSL.

Yet 100 years later Darth Maul can't fly, he doesn't have armour that can withstand a lightsabre blow, and he isn't able to cause his opponents' lightsabres to malfunction.

When you take out the cutaways to other scenes, the fight sequence in Phantom Menace with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan lasts about 5 minutes - of an 195 minute movie. The setting is visually appealing. There's raised platforms over terrifying drops, there's force fields that cut in and out, there's giant columns of purple plasma. A character we care about dies. The villain gets his comeuppance.

In contrast, the fight in this episode of The Acolyte lasts about 18 of the 27 minutes and it's in a dimly lit forest. A few characters we don't care about die. There's an easy opportunity to kill or capture the villain but the plot needs him to live.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet 100 years later Darth Maul can't fly, he doesn't have armour that can withstand a lightsabre blow, and he isn't able to cause his opponents' lightsabres to malfunction.

When you take out the cutaways to other scenes, the fight sequence in Phantom Menace with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan lasts about 5 minutes - of an 195 minute movie. The setting is visually appealing. There's raised platforms over terrifying drops, there's force fields that cut in and out, there's giant columns of purple plasma. A character we care about dies. The villain gets his comeuppance.

In contrast, the fight in this episode of The Acolyte lasts about 18 of the 27 minutes and it's in a dimly lit forest. A few characters we don't care about die. There's an easy opportunity to kill or capture the villain but the plot needs him to live.
Darth Vader can't use force lightning. Why would one character having an ability mean every character should have that ability in the future?

Two of the main characters die in this. It's hard to argue it doesn't have stakes. You don't care about them, fine. Maybe not everyone cares about Qui-Gon either. The plot armour in Qimir was pretty ridiculous, particularly the bugs picking him up and taking him away, sure. But whatever. I hate this idea that something can only have tension of every character in it is a chance to die. That's doesn't make something good storytelling - it makes it one of those murder mystery parties.

I think this is a good example of someone not liking something - which is fine - but then pulling off some crazy contortionist moves to justify why. It's ok to just not like the show.

And Plagueis can supposedly stop people from dying or create life and yet Palpatine needs to learn how to do it as he's unable. It's almost like the Sith don't share everything with their apprentice. Cortosis is also presented as an incredibly rare substance or else it'd be a pretty easy trick to defeat lightsaber wielders.

In terms of the 'flying' thing, the Inquisitors do the same sort of thing in Rebels, just because something isn't presented on screen doesn't mean they can't do it. That's a faulty assumption on your behalf.

The 'fight' is a multitude of individual fights with individual characters that you are combining to make a bad faith argument as you have done throughout the thread. I've told you before but if this episode was still not enough for you it's time to clock out of the thread.

Is that you telling him as a mod or owner of the thread?

What a strange thing to say.
It's me telling him as someone getting sick of his posts in bad faith clogging up the thread. Don't think it's odd at all. What's odd is hating a show but not only continuing to watch it but continuing to post on an online football forum about it.

Not sure about this complaining about precedents, it just sounds like more nitpicking of this show when there is significant evidence elsewhere un the Disney era.

Qui Gonn was killed being stabbed through the chest with a lightsaber. Countless Jedi would’ve suffered the same at the temple during Order 66.

However fast forward and Ben Solo can be saved by force healing. Reva is skewered by Vader in Kenobi and is able to crawl away and survive. These abilities would’ve been pretty handy during Order 66.

They’ve already shown that they’re not too concerned with retcons or contradictions, it just smacks of more reason to complain about this particular series for the sake of it even though there’s already a wider problem established in this era of Star Wars content.

They’ve already shown that they’re not too concerned with retcons or contradictions, it just smacks of more reason to complain about this particular series for the sake of it even though there’s already a wider problem established in this era of Star Wars content.

Reminds me of the bemusing complaint that there was a fire in space in the opening episode when we had similar in the original movies. But - as always - the discussion about post-OT Star Wars gets bogged down in minutiae with these 'fans'.

Force users (both Jedi and Sith....and others) have always had different abilities. Some can read minds, some can project thoughts/commands, some can sap the life out of others, some can create life, some can stop laser bolts in mid air, some can do lightning charges, etc etc.

It's like at the base level, a rookie force user, you can do all the basic elementary things, like telekinetically pushing away objects and people and pulling in objects and people, and other general basic level skills.

Then as you advance, they tend to specialize in certain things, based on their individual pursuits, interests, higher higherdetc.eeper forms of study, etc. Very much like the difference between a General Practitioner and all the various specialized paths like brain surgeon, paediatrician, cardiologist, dermatologist, neurologist, gynecologist, proctologist, etc.

Having said all that....Disney kinda went over the top in the ST/Obi....Marvelizing force powers, especially relatively new or inexperienced force users doing over the top things. They ought to tone it down a bit more. Should try to emphasize levels of force users....newbs, padawans, masters, higher masters, elite masters....like belts in martial arts....where there's far fewer at the very top. Make them more legendary from others.

GG what are you talking about they do rank their force users ability in the Disney era

Man - can do things like a normal jedi
Woman - you can do everything, better than any other jedi and stuff that people have never even thought of.

Come on man you're better than that.

Force users (both Jedi and Sith....and others) have always had different abilities. Some can read minds, some can project thoughts/commands, some can sap the life out of others, some can create life, some can stop laser bolts in mid air, some can do lightning charges, etc etc.

It's like at the base level, a rookie force user, you can do all the basic elementary things, like telekinetically pushing away objects and people and pulling in objects and people, and other general basic level skills.

Then as you advance, they tend to specialize in certain things, based on their individual pursuits, interests, higher higherdetc.eeper forms of study, etc. Very much like the difference between a General Practitioner and all the various specialized paths like brain surgeon, paediatrician, cardiologist, dermatologist, neurologist, gynecologist, proctologist, etc.

Having said all that....Disney kinda went over the top in the ST/Obi....Marvelizing force powers, especially relatively new or inexperienced force users doing over the top things. They ought to tone it down a bit more. Should try to emphasize levels of force users....newbs, padawans, masters, higher masters, elite masters....like belts in martial arts....where there's far fewer at the very top. Make them more legendary from others.
So it's "The Boys" but in a galaxy far far away

Remove this Banner Ad

Star Wars The Acolyte

Remove this Banner Ad

Back