Star Wars The Acolyte

Remove this Banner Ad

Someone should check if Lesley Headland has any rat holes with put options on the Disney Corp., because I can only assume that series was intentional sabotage.

Mate. You’re the idiot who sat through an entire series you hated and then wasted more of your life on forums chatting about how much you hated it.

Mate. You’re the idiot who sat through an entire series you hated and then wasted more of your life on forums chatting about how much you hated it.
I'm just like one of the indelible characters of the Star Wars series that I love so much.

My thoughts regarding The Acolyte below.

1721296164529.png

I found us all baffled trying to figure out what the plot and themes of this show were, and trying to understand all the plot holes, errors, and confusing motivations, 100% more entertaining that the show. That goes for all of us in this thread, including you, you contributed to something far more entertaining than The Acolyte.

I 100% find us all baffled trying to figure out what the plot and themes of this show were, and trying to understand all the plot holes, errors, and confusing motivations, 100% more entertaining that the show. That goes for all of us in this thread, including you, you contributed to something far more entertaining than The Acolyte.

Haha. Whatever floats your boat mate.

See you for season 2.

Here’s one from each of Lucas’ core set:

TPM: Qui-Gon risks everything on a boy he hardly knows, including the life of that boy, so he can get a hyperdrive motivator from a junk dealer. He doesn’t bother checking any of the larger dealers, he doesn’t just even try stealing it from Watto - he just comes up with the most convoluted, irresponsible, and dumb plan in that “luckily” works.

AOTC: Padme, a seemingly smart and sophisticated woman, falls in love with an angry, obsessive, over indulged, and frankly creepy kid who just confessed to genocide.

ROTS: WTF is going on with Anakin’s turn to the dark side?! In the space of 20 minutes he goes from turning in a Sith Lord to murdering children.

ROTS Bonus: She lost the will to live!!

ANH: Luke, a farm boy from a desert planet, who’s never flown a starfighter before, suddenly is gifted the equivalent an f-14 tomcat … and even put in charge of the final assault.

ESB: is perfect. I refuse to even look!

ROTJ: I mean? What the **** was Luke’s actual plan for Jabba’s palace?
Yeh righto mate.
Calm down, champion. I was coming back to finish you off. Let's ignore that these "questionable motivations" are less motivations and more just "things that happened".

TPM: Shame on Lucas for not giving us a junkyard search montage. Shame on the morally good Jedi for not just stealing.

AOTC: There is only 5 years separating them. They are both prodigies, one in the Force and the other in politics. They went through the battle of Naboo. Anakin delivered the killing blow that saved Padama-may or Panda Bear or whatever the hell her name was's people. Padmé was part of the group that literally freed Anakin from slavery. They had history, were both young adults and were forced to spend time together.

ROTS: Sidious spent years nudging Anakin to the dark side. You referenced him slaughtering the Tusken Raiders in the paragraph literally above where you say his fall to the dark side came from nowhere.

ROTS: Severe emotional distress (like the kind where you find your partner has slaughtered his peers and children under their protection, facilitated the downfall of a cause you have dedicated your life to and then subsequently choked you) can cause heart problems (see Takotsubo cardiomyopathy). It's not a huge leap to imagine Padmé was in some form of shock following this. Toughen up domestic abuse victims!

ANH: That exhaust port was no bigger than a womp rat. Needed a training montage here it seems? He wasn't in charge of the final run. He was one of the few ones left, it wasn't up to Luke at the Rebellion's choice

ESB: My man!

ROTJ: Jabba was well known for use of the Sarlacc pit. It would have been fair to assume that would be how he was planning to dispose of Luke, Han and Chewie the same way.

Calm down, champion. I was coming back to finish you off. Let's ignore that these "questionable motivations" are less motivations and more just "things that happened".

TPM: Shame on Lucas for not giving us a junkyard search montage. Shame on the morally good Jedi for not just stealing.

AOTC: There is only 5 years separating them. They are both prodigies, one in the Force and the other in politics. They went through the battle of Naboo. Anakin delivered the killing blow that saved Padama-may or Panda Bear or whatever the hell her name was's people. Padmé was part of the group that literally freed Anakin from slavery. They had history, were both young adults and were forced to spend time together.

ROTS: Sidious spent years nudging Anakin to the dark side. You referenced him slaughtering the Tusken Raiders in the paragraph literally above where you say his fall to the dark side came from nowhere.

ROTS: Severe emotional distress (like the kind where you find your partner has slaughtered his peers and children under their protection, facilitated the downfall of a cause you have dedicated your life to and then subsequently choked you) can cause heart problems (see Takotsubo cardiomyopathy). It's not a huge leap to imagine Padmé was in some form of shock following this. Toughen up domestic abuse victims!

ANH: That exhaust port was no bigger than a womp rat. Needed a training montage here it seems? He wasn't in charge of the final run. He was one of the few ones left, it wasn't up to Luke at the Rebellion's choice

ESB: My man!

ROTJ: Jabba was well known for use of the Sarlacc pit. It would have been fair to assume that would be how he was planning to dispose of Luke, Han and Chewie the same way.

Well done. You know how to watch a Star War.

Champion.

I found us all baffled trying to figure out what the plot and themes of this show were, and trying to understand all the plot holes, errors, and confusing motivations, 100% more entertaining that the show. That goes for all of us in this thread, including you, you contributed to something far more entertaining than The Acolyte.

If nothing else, the Acolyte provided some valuable lessons in how not to tell a story. I don't think we learned anything from all the stupid shit that also happened. Did anyone with any sense read the scripts and ask some basic questions before throwing $180 million at it?

Oh well, it's not my money. It has provided lots of entertainment by way of the Youtube guys.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I took it as better acting than Christensen who was incredibly hammy in his performance. She's cold and furious, but also is in the process of killing the man who was her pseudo father. There's a lot of conflicting emotions.

I took it as better acting than Christensen who was incredibly hammy in his performance. She's cold and furious, but also is in the process of killing the man who was her pseudo father. There's a lot of conflicting emotions.
Sure, none of which she's expressing in any meaningful way though. There's no look of anguish, anger, frustration etc. It's just a blank face.

I don't agree she's cold in that scene either though. She's just found out what he's been hiding after all this time, there's no way she just wiping him aside while cool/calm/collected.

Sure, none of which she's expressing in any meaningful way though. There's no look of anguish, anger, frustration etc. It's just a blank face.

I don't agree she's cold in that scene either though. She's just found out what he's been hiding after all this time, there's no way she just wiping him aside while cool/calm/collected.

Cold =/= calm.

Cold =/= calm.
Yes but I don't feel like she was either.

That was a highly charged moment for her, finding out what he'd hidden, what he'd done. She'd never really shown the capacity to be 'cold' prior to this. Not to the extent where she would've hidden all emotions in the act of killing her mentor.

After training with Qimir, sure. I could buy she'd be cold in her actions towards him. This was supposed to be raw for her.

Anyway, each to their own. I think the acting was very poor in that particular scene.

It's funny, I did also compare it to Anakin when watching that scene, but it was just to make me reflect on how the SW concept of people 'falling' to the Dark Side would be nigh on impossible for an actor to convey in a convincing way on screen. The concept essentially suggests a person goes from being good to bad in the blink of an eye. Think about Anakin's 'what have I done' line after helping kill Windu then suddenly saying 'I'll do whatever you say, Master'. Like he's suddenly all in in the blink of an eye. It's such a weird concept and hard for an actor to convey in a convincing way. Which is actually why I thought it was quite deliberate to have her detached and cold in that moment to be almost as if she was in shock and just emotionless despite all the emotions that would be surging through her. Call it bad acting for the actor perhaps but it felt quite a deliberate juxtaposition because if she had been wildly emotional like Anakin people would have probably called it hammy.

Wait … so Critical Drinker and Disparu DIDN’T like a new Star Wars show?

That’s weird.

They are both way more entertaining than the show. I'm not sure Disparu likes any shows he reviews but his criticisms are usually valid and he can be pretty funny. Critical Drinker praises good material when deserved, including Andor and The Mandalorian. But he will take apart nonsense when he sees it. If this show was well written and made they would both have no material to work with.

They are both way more entertaining than the show. I'm not sure Disparu likes any shows he reviews but his criticisms are usually valid and he can be pretty funny. Critical Drinker praises good material when deserved, including Andor and The Mandalorian. But he will take apart nonsense when he sees it. If this show was well written and made they would both have no material to work with.

So watch them instead of the show I guess?

It's funny, I did also compare it to Anakin when watching that scene, but it was just to make me reflect on how the SW concept of people 'falling' to the Dark Side would be nigh on impossible for an actor to convey in a convincing way on screen. The concept essentially suggests a person goes from being good to bad in the blink of an eye. Think about Anakin's 'what have I done' line after helping kill Windu then suddenly saying 'I'll do whatever you say, Master'. Like he's suddenly all in in the blink of an eye. It's such a weird concept and hard for an actor to convey in a convincing way. Which is actually why I thought it was quite deliberate to have her detached and cold in that moment to be almost as if she was in shock and just emotionless despite all the emotions that would be surging through her. Call it bad acting for the actor perhaps but it felt quite a deliberate juxtaposition because if she had been wildly emotional like Anakin people would have probably called it hammy.
It's much better to be called a talentless hack.

It's very naive to engage in this fantasy that Youtube commentators are "grifters" just looking to hate on Star Wars content when it comes to the Acolyte. There are absolutely some people who utilise the negative sentiment around Star Wars for their content and nitpick to appease to an angry audience, just like there is clearly a lot of Disney shill content baselessly promoting Disney content.

But the hate for the Acolyte is not unfounded. Every Youtuber i've come across has critcised the show, even people like 'Jeremy Jahns' who has been running a movie and tv page for over a decade and doesn't exclusively review Star Wars content was baffled and confused by the show throughout its entirety.

The show was bad and people responded to it.

Last edited:
It's very naive to engage in this fantasy that Youtube commentators are "grifters" just looking to hate on Star Wars content when it comes to the Acolyte. There are absolutely some people who utilise the negative sentiment around Star Wars for their content and nitpick to appease to an angry audience, just like there is clearly a lot of Disney shill content baselessly promoting Disney content.

But the hate for the Acolyte is not founded. Every Youtuber i've come across has critcised the show, even people like 'Jeremy Jahns' who has been running a movie and tv page for over a decade and doesn't exclusively review Star Wars content was baffled and confused by the show throughout its entirety.

The show was bad and people responded to it.
Critical content creator = grifter.

Unashamed shills receiving merch from Lucasfilm = based.

Remove this Banner Ad

Star Wars The Acolyte

Remove this Banner Ad

Back