Podcast The AFL Hall of Fame - Who are the missing champions

Remove this Banner Ad

On next weeks Bigfooty Podcast we'll be talking about the Hall of Fame, and while some time will be spent talking about this years inductees, theres some food for thought to be had amongst those not yet in the Hall, particularly from Western Australians and South Australians.

Legends
  • Darrel Baldock
  • Ron Barrassi
  • Kevin Bartlett
  • Haydn Bunton Snr
  • Barry cable
  • Roy Cazaly
  • John Coleman
  • Gordon Coventry
  • Jack Dyer
  • Graham Farmer
  • Royce Hart
  • Peter Hudson
  • Bill Hutchison
  • Alex Jesaulenko
  • Tony Lockett
  • James Mchale
  • Kevin Murray
  • Leigh Matthews
  • John Nichols
  • Bob Pratt
  • Dick Reynolds
  • Barrie Robran
  • Bob Skilton
  • Norm Smith
  • Ian Stewart
  • Ted Whitten
- Complete Hall of Fame List.

yes I know theres a separate and similar thread but this serves a different purpose.

Can't get my head around that the AFL/VFL total games record holder is not Legend .
The player who won the most AFL/VFL premiership medals is not a Legend .
The player who has played in the most AFL/VFL Grand Finals is not legend .
The player who has played the most AFL/VFL finals games is not a legend .

Its all the same guy , its all Michael Tuck , 426 games , 7 premiership medals , 11 Grand Final appearances , 39 Final Games and he even has a medal named after him , a medal won by the likes of Carey , Harvey , McLeod and Selwood .

Can't get my head around why Tuck is not a Legend already , 24 years after his last game . Yet Lockett last played only 13 years ago ,and his claim to fame is he is leading goalkicker .

Also whats up with no Trevor Barker , No Stewart Loewe and No Gary Buckenara ?

Last edited:
Can't get my head around that the AFL/VFL total games record holder is not Legend .

Its all the same guy , its all Michael Tuck , 426 games , 7 premiership medals , 11 Grand Final appearances , 39 Final Games and he even has a medal named after him , a medal won by the likes of Carey , Harvey , McLeod and Selwood .

Can't get my head around why Tuck is not a Legend already , 24 years after his last game . Yet Lockett last played only 13 years ago ,and his claim to fame is he is leading goalkicker .

Of the bottom 3, only Barker gets in.

As for Tuck, he is fighting for Legend status with Russell Ebert, Kevin Sheedy and Malcolm Blight.

Don't see Tuck as a Legend. Yes he had longevity, and he was a good player in a great team. But I am dead against giving Legend status or Hall of Fame status for longevity. I think HoF status already smacks of "play 200 and you eventually get in".

Tuck played for 19 years and never even won his clubs best and fairest. His name just does not sit at the same level as the current group of Legends.

Good player who lucked out in an incredibly good team.

What made tuck stand out as a player against his contemporaries.

Every legend has something special about him and as good as tuck was he lacked that something special.

Trevor Barker needs to be inducted, its a joke that he is not in the hall of fame already.

Longevity is not enough - or guys like Craig Bradley would be in like flynn. being a good player is not enough. legends are supposed to be something else entirely. Ebert is absilutely deserving of that, so are guys like Ken Farmer - Ive no doubt we'll get there eventually, but at one a year its going to take some time.

HoF member is as far as Tuck should go. Take Tucky out of those 7 premiership sides and Hawthorn would have still won most if not all of them.

If he'd dominated in a lot of them and was the difference in Hawthorn winning rather than losing then you might have some sort of a case.

upload_2015-6-5_17-48-57.png

Of the bottom 3, only Barker gets in.

As for Tuck, he is fighting for Legend status with Russell Ebert, Kevin Sheedy and Malcolm Blight.

Under what criteria is Sheedy more of a coaching legend than Allan Jeans? There were 3 great dynasties in the VFL days: Collingwood during the depression; Melbourne in the 1950's and Hawthorn in the 1980's. Jock McHale and Norm Smith are both legends, so why not Yabby Jeans? He is STILL the only person to have coached St Kilda to a premiership.

As for Michael Tuck, I'd rank him alongside guys like Bruce Doull, Terry Daniher, Stephen Kernahan, Dermott Brereton, Peter Daicos and Robert Flower as legendary footballers from the 70's and 80's, but maybe not quite in the AFL Hall of Fame Legends bracket.

From Hawthorn, I would nominate Jason Dunstall as more deserving of AFL Hall of Fame Legends status. I saw that Lockett, Carey and Ablett were all nominated for legend this year. Dunstall was every bit as good as those three. His record is actually superior to theirs.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One clue as to why Tuck is not and should not be a legend, is if Brent Harvey plays on next season he will eclipse Tuck's record.

Then Brent Harvey must automatically become a legend.

Brent Harvey is so far from legend status it's not funny.

One clue as to why Tuck is not and should not be a legend, is if Brent Harvey plays on next season he will eclipse Tuck's record.

Then Brent Harvey must automatically become a legend.

Brent Harvey is so far from legend status it's not funny.
Harvey has been a wonderful player for a very long time, and will almost certainly end up in the Hall of Fame. I agree, he is not legend material. But even if he gets to play a game or two more than Tuck did, he still doesn't come close to his Premiership/Grand Final/Finals achievements. For mine, Tuck is definitely worthy of legend status.

Harvey has been a wonderful player for a very long time, and will almost certainly end up in the Hall of Fame. I agree, he is not legend material. But even if he gets to play a game or two more than Tuck did, he still doesn't come close to his Premiership/Grand Final/Finals achievements. For mine, Tuck is definitely worthy of legend status.

Giving Tuck credit for the HFC's achievements.

Tuck didn't drag HFC to 7 premierships. He happened to play in one of the greatest teams of all time. He did skipper them and was a good player, but no more than that.

Brererton should be a legend because of his 5 premierships?

I'm not saying Tuck isn't worth discussing in the legend conversation. But I don't think he gets over the line.

Giving Tuck credit for the HFC's achievements.

Tuck didn't drag HFC to 7 premierships. He happened to play in one of the greatest teams of all time. He did skipper them and was a good player, but no more than that.

Brererton should be a legend because of his 5 premierships?

I'm not saying Tuck isn't worth discussing in the legend conversation. But I don't think he gets over the line.
I thought it was summed up very well by Condon3. He's played more games than anyone else (at least for the moment), has won more premierships, and played in more Finals and Grand Finals than anyone else. All of that put together is good enough as far as I'm concerned. I always thought he was a superb player, even though there was nothing flashy about him. Perhaps the fact that he wasn't flashy costs him in some people's view. I do suspect he will get there one day.

Having said all that, Lockett still deserved a spot in front of him. Same applies to Dunstall, Ablett snr., Carey and Greg Williams.

The other obvious SA inclusion is Paul Bagshaw.
Would have thought the push for SA would be for Ken Farmer to get Legend status.
Kicked more goals at a higher rate than Plugger but most football fans hardly know about him

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-news/playing-the-hall-of-fame-game-20150606-ghhxsx
I'll offer one immediately: his name is Jim Ross. He played for St Kilda from 1946 to 1954 and won three best-and-fairest awards. It's been suggested he would have won a fourth in 1954 had he not fallen out with the club's committee over his claim for a pay increase. At that stage, only Bill Cubbins among all St Kilda players had won four b-and-fs.

Aged 27, a disgruntled Ross left the Saints for North Launceston in 1955. There he was a great. He twice won his competition's best-and-fairest, was an All-Australian at the 1958 Centenary Carnival, and - although it's not recorded in the history books - was regarded by my dad as the best player he'd ever seen.

I've argued that had Ross been born in Tassie and won b-and-fs, then moved to Melbourne, won All-Australian status wearing the Big V, and won three or more club champion awards, he would walk into the Hall of Fame. Perhaps this underlines Cable's point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Podcast The AFL Hall of Fame - Who are the missing champions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back