Podcast The AFL Hall of Fame - Who are the missing champions

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you are elevated to Hall of Fame or Legend status based on either playing or coaching, but not both. Only two Legends for coaching are McHale and Norm Smith.

Under what criteria is Sheedy more of a coaching legend than Allan Jeans? There were 3 great dynasties in the VFL days: Collingwood during the depression; Melbourne in the 1950's and Hawthorn in the 1980's. Jock McHale and Norm Smith are both legends, so why not Yabby Jeans? He is STILL the only person to have coached St Kilda to a premiership.

As for Michael Tuck, I'd rank him alongside guys like Bruce Doull, Terry Daniher, Stephen Kernahan, Dermott Brereton, Peter Daicos and Robert Flower as legendary footballers from the 70's and 80's, but maybe not quite in the AFL Hall of Fame Legends bracket.

From Hawthorn, I would nominate Jason Dunstall as more deserving of AFL Hall of Fame Legends status. I saw that Lockett, Carey and Ablett were all nominated for legend this year. Dunstall was every bit as good as those three. His record is actually superior to theirs.
Dunstall has done plenty off of the football field in football administration as well. Without him, Hawthorn would be vastly different.

Of the bottom 3, only Barker gets in.

As for Tuck, he is fighting for Legend status with Russell Ebert, Kevin Sheedy and Malcolm Blight.

Blight and Ebert would round out the best three players ever from SA (Robran being the other)

Longevity is not enough - or guys like Craig Bradley would be in like flynn. being a good player is not enough. legends are supposed to be something else entirely. Ebert is absilutely deserving of that, so are guys like Ken Farmer - Ive no doubt we'll get there eventually, but at one a year its going to take some time.

The SANFL will make sure #Malcom Blight gets Legend status before Russell Ebert.

Can't get my head around that the AFL/VFL total games record holder is not Legend .
The player who won the most AFL/VFL premiership medals is not a Legend .
The player who has played in the most AFL/VFL Grand Finals is not legend .
The player who has played the most AFL/VFL finals games is not a legend .

Its all the same guy , its all Michael Tuck , 426 games , 7 premiership medals , 11 Grand Final appearances , 39 Final Games and he even has a medal named after him , a medal won by the likes of Carey , Harvey , McLeod and Selwood .

Can't get my head around why Tuck is not a Legend already , 24 years after his last game . Yet Lockett last played only 13 years ago ,and his claim to fame is he is leading goalkicker .

Also whats up with no Trevor Barker , No Stewart Loewe and No Gary Buckenara ?

Don't forget most Premierships as Captain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Longevity is not enough - or guys like Craig Bradley would be in like flynn. being a good player is not enough. legends are supposed to be something else entirely. Ebert is absilutely deserving of that, so are guys like Ken Farmer - Ive no doubt we'll get there eventually, but at one a year its going to take some time.
We should prioritise those potential legends to be who are still with us.

How Bernie Naylor from WA isnt in the Hall of Fame is beyond me. been in the WA hall of fame since 2004.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Naylor
  • South Fremantle premiership side 1947–48, 1950, 1952–54
  • Leading goalkicker (WANFL) 1946–48, 1952–54
  • Most goals in a single WA(N)FL game: 23 (vs Subiaco, 1953)
  • Most goals in a single WA(N)FL season: 167 (1953)

The whole premise of the thread is flawed. The HoF is an AFL group for players from within that comp. Unless a player had an impact in the VFL/AFL the idea they should be included is ridiculous.

This is not an argument that the VFL was better than the SANFL or WAFL, I'm ont trying to open that can of worms. It's simply a matter of the AFL being a competition, not the custodian of the sport. The AFL should remember that and concentrate on running their standiums and TV rights negotiations. They already think they're bigger than the game, and it's surprising that the SANFL and WAFL would have a bar of this question.

The whole premise of the thread is flawed. The HoF is an AFL group for players from within that comp. Unless a player had an impact in the VFL/AFL the idea they should be included is ridiculous.

This is not an argument that the VFL was better than the SANFL or WAFL, I'm ont trying to open that can of worms. It's simply a matter of the AFL being a competition, not the custodian of the sport. The AFL should remember that and concentrate on running their standiums and TV rights negotiations. They already think they're bigger than the game, and it's surprising that the SANFL and WAFL would have a bar of this question.
We should rename the competition the VFL then...and kick out all the interstate sides too?

We should rename the competition the VFL then...and kick out all the interstate sides too?
Your comment has no logical link to mine. The "interstate" teams play in the AFL and of course will be considered for any award in that competition. Players or teams who did not play in the AFL, or in it's older name the VFL, should not be recognised.

The AFL is not the game, however much they might like to think they are. They're simply a league, just like the SANFL or WAFL or the old VFA. There are great players and great clubs that played outside what is now the AFL, and there's no great injustice in that.They have no right to co-opt the history of other leagues and teams that are not their own.

You can try to wish it away all you like, but the facts are that presently the AFL does run the game. And as such the premise of the thread is valid until that situation changes.

Your comment has no logical link to mine. The "interstate" teams play in the AFL and of course will be considered for any award in that competition. Players or teams who did not play in the AFL, or in it's older name the VFL, should not be recognised.

The AFL is not the game, however much they might like to think they are. They're simply a league, just like the SANFL or WAFL or the old VFA. There are great players and great clubs that played outside what is now the AFL, and there's no great injustice in that.They have no right to co-opt the history of other leagues and teams that are not their own.
AFL took over custodianship of the game with a deal with the Australian National Football Council.

You can try to wish it away all you like, but the facts are that presently the AFL does run the game. And as such the premise of the thread is valid until that situation changes.
The West Australian Football Commission, among others, might have something to say about that. They are "the caretaker of football throughout the State and is responsible for the overall development of the game" in WA, and other bodies have that responsibility in other states.
http://www.wafootball.com.au/

You can buy into the AFL's self-promotion all you like, but they're simply a league. They're the most successful league, but have no standing as a peak body and are not even the oldest competition.

AFL took over custodianship of the game with a deal with the Australian National Football Council.
This is not quite right. The ANFC agreed that the Laws of the Game Committee fall under the auspices of the AFL. This was for consistency and to cut red tape, but in no way handed the AFL custodianship of the game, and did not hand the hostory of other leagues to the AFL.

I'm sorry to go on, I sound like a pedant, but it's aggravating to watch the AFL swallow the history and prestige of truly great clubs and competitons that were at times stronger than the AFL. Clubs like Williamstown, Sturt or Perth have heritage equal or better than most AFL clubs. I'm surprised the SANFL and WAFL are so spineless to try and have their players misleadingly inserted into another comp's honour board.

The West Australian Football Commission, among others, might have something to say about that. They are "the caretaker of football throughout the State and is responsible for the overall development of the game" in WA, and other bodies have that responsibility in other states.
http://www.wafootball.com.au/

You can buy into the AFL's self-promotion all you like, but they're simply a league. They're the most successful league, but have no standing as a peak body and are not even the oldest competition.

They absolutely have standing as a peak body.

The AFL directly control and fund every other state competition in the country - besides the WAFL and SANFL, who rely on AFL funds from matches and teams to survive.. They fund Auskick and facilities developments nationally - including WA and SA. They fund other indigenous programs across the country. They host and fund national under 16s and 18s championships, the national under 18 and 16s international tours.

Don't see Tuck as a Legend. Yes he had longevity, and he was a good player in a great team. But I am dead against giving Legend status or Hall of Fame status for longevity. I think HoF status already smacks of "play 200 and you eventually get in".

Tuck played for 19 years and never even won his clubs best and fairest. His name just does not sit at the same level as the current group of Legends.

Good player who lucked out in an incredibly good team.

Tuck was a far better player than you are giving him credit for. He was the best ruck rover in the VFL from 1976-80. He then played CHF in the period between Martello and Brereton before playing as a vital swing man in various roles till the end of his career. He was sublimely skilled on both sides of his body, a thumping and accurate kick and had elite level speed and stamina. He finished in the top three in the clubs best and fairest on 11 occasions, beaten to the prize by the likes of Matthews, Knights,Dunstall,Platten,Wallace,Brereton and Ayres, all of whom are in the AFL hall of fame. Had he played at Fitzroy like Kevin Murray or South Adelaide like Barrie Robran there is no doubt he would have more than a few best and fairests on his mantelpiece. His absence as a legend of the game is ridiculous and hopefully will be corrected well before he leaves us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Podcast The AFL Hall of Fame - Who are the missing champions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back