The "Annual" Good Friday football discussion thread

Are you happy for football to be played on Good Friday?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If it's 2 small clubs, it's not a blockbuster

How can small clubs become big clubs if we don't work out a way to give them an opportunity?

How can small clubs become big clubs if we don't work out a way to give them an opportunity?

The fact is not all clubs can be big. Some of these smaller clubs have been kicking around for a century, if they haven't been able to make the step up yet, they probably never will. Playing a game on Good Friday won't change anything.

Perhaps but the fixture was scheduled in round 1 in 2007 (albeit in a twilight slot) and 2011

2007: 59847
2011: 60654

The point is, no fixture is immune to lower attendances (with the probable exception of Dreamtime at the G and ANZAC Day)
Even dreamtime has had some stinker crowds when we were poor. Anzac Day is the only game that sells out before thee season starts.

I think we need to give the lesser clubs some blockbusters as well.

At the end of the day, while the big clubs own monopoly's on the blockbusters, the small clubs are going to stay small and the big clubs are going to have a bigger gap between the 2.

I have honestly thought its actually time to put a bidding process on Blockbuster games, if another club is prepared to pay more for Anzac day than Essendon and Collingwood they get it, but as Collingwood and Essendon have Anzac day currently they can match the offer if they want to. These funds are then shared equally between the other 16 clubs, this way the big clubs are not getting a mountain of extra profits from big games as they are sharing it amongst all clubs.
So basically two clubs put all the work in making a game a big success, and then some other clubs can come along and just buy it off them?

Sounds sensible.

FFS if you want a blockbuster, make one yourself. Freo have their own ANZAC Day game now and it's fantastic. What was stopping the other clubs doing that? Nothing. But Freo decided to actually do something about it. People just want things handed to them. It's pathetic.

So basically two clubs put all the work in making a game a big success, and then some other clubs can come along and just buy it off them?

Sounds sensible.

FFS if you want a blockbuster, make one yourself. Freo have their own ANZAC Day game now and it's fantastic. What was stopping the other clubs doing that? Nothing. But Freo decided to actually do something about it. People just want things handed to them. It's pathetic.

Its not about just handing it to them, if a club wants exclusive rights to a day then you pay for it. How can other clubs make a Blockbuster there own if they can't get access to it.

I am sure if you offered North an Anzac day game at 7:30 at Etihad on the same day they would take it, but I am pretty sure both Essendon and Collingwood want exclusive Victorian rights to the whole day.

It's one of a multitude of reasons.

What was your excuse pre 1984 or so when alls we got on the tube was an hours highlights per week?

The fact your clubs need a captive audience to get a decent crowd is the very reason you shouldn't have such a day IMO, happy to agree to disagree though.

What was your excuse pre 1984 or so when alls we got on the tube was an hours highlights per week?

The fact your clubs need a captive audience to get a decent crowd is the very reason you shouldn't have such a day IMO, happy to agree to disagree though.
doesnt justify the teams who dont need the captive audience always being the one to get it still

Makes life a lot easier!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Herald Sun writing a lot of articles about the Dogs and Good Friday, I think the janitor is the only one left not to have an article about the Doggies wanting good friday.

Its not about just handing it to them, if a club wants exclusive rights to a day then you pay for it. How can other clubs make a Blockbuster there own if they can't get access to it.

I am sure if you offered North an Anzac day game at 7:30 at Etihad on the same day they would take it, but I am pretty sure both Essendon and Collingwood want exclusive Victorian rights to the whole day.
Dreamtime. It's not an exclusive day or timeslot. But we've still made it a big game. What's stopping other clubs from doing that?

Dreamtime. It's not an exclusive day or timeslot. But we've still made it a big game. What's stopping other clubs from doing that?

Why not play Collingwood v Essendon on May 25th? If its the teams not the date that makes it big, shouldn't effect either team.

Why not play Collingwood v Essendon on May 25th? If its the teams not the date that makes it big, shouldn't effect either team.
Of course it's the game and the day. But we built that game into what it is now. Same with the Dreamtime game. Why can't other clubs build their own big games?

Of course it's the game and the day. But we built that game into what it is now. Same with the Dreamtime game. Why can't other clubs build their own big games?

Other clubs should be building their own big games, but if you want to have a date locked in as yours and your only, and it goes for all clubs and all dates, then the club should pay a price for that date.

And for the record Brisbane should have to pay a price to have Easter Thursday.

I'm all for clubs getting what they deserve, at this point in time the roos-Dogs don't deserve the big stage, start averaging big crowd numbers before asking for such a slot IMO, a Collingwood-Carlton game would probably attract a crowd of 95k (from 2016), IMO a GF game would become bigger than Anzac Day and we need our blue chip teams to play in it.

Blue collar not blue chip

Excuse us for not bending over in eternal greatness, to me collingwood= easy eight points

Other clubs should be building their own big games, but if you want to have a date locked in as yours and your only, and it goes for all clubs and all dates, then the club should pay a price for that date.

And for the record Brisbane should have to pay a price to have Easter Thursday.

Its a good job the childrens hospital doesn't have to competitively tender against other hospitals to "participate" in the good friday appeal.

Im not particularly christian but the irony of all these clubs supporters/trolls showing no christian charity altogether is enlightening

A lot of Victorian based suggestions/discussions are due to the RCH appeal is massive in Victoria on Good Friday and the opportunity to raise lots of money for them on the day by playing the game

There are sick children in children's hospitals throughout Australia that need money, not just in Victoria.

There are sick children in children's hospitals throughout Australia that need money, not just in Victoria.

Not just australia either.

The centricity is enlightening, but i think some posters are just trolling and don't give a rats if their team plays good friday or not.

Id rather my team didn't because they'd be stuffed when the easter monday game comes around...

Remove this Banner Ad

The "Annual" Good Friday football discussion thread

Back