The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

The scoring is extremely low because they still have amateur football level skill levels but more professional fitness levels and then play with AFL type broader tactics like getting so many numbers back.
It's not extremely low relative to the length of games. I'd say the average total points is usually around 80-100 points for a match that lasts 2/3rds of the mens, which would average around 170-180 points. So relatively speaking not too far off it. The time of year it's played, number of players on the field for each team, etc play their part too. Of course goal kicking skills and decision making play a part but not as much as you make out.

The scoring is extremely low because they still have amateur football level skill levels but more professional fitness levels and then play with AFL type broader tactics like getting so many numbers back.
Half the points in 3/4 the game. It's getting there though. Average in the first 4 games this year was 39.25 per team, men's its 82ish

I don't see how they'll ever win with crowds.

As Art says, the current fixture time doesn't really work. You could push it back into winter but it will then get lost with the men's game and you will end up with even less of a crowd.

Double headers don't work (the NRLW is a perfect example of this). I wouldn't mind seeing a magic round in the women's game to see the interest that could drum up.

I don't see how they'll ever win with crowds.

As Art says, the current fixture time doesn't really work. You could push it back into winter but it will then get lost with the men's game and you will end up with even less of a crowd.

Double headers don't work (the NRLW is a perfect example of this). I wouldn't mind seeing a magic round in the women's game to see the interest that could drum up.
Double headers are the only way to play it in winter and get some clear air from the men's games.

Who said it's high scoring? I think what was said was that relative to its lengths of games it's not far off the mark. In fact you said that too. ;) But carry on the cheap pot shots if you want. :kissingheart:

I think the league was in between a rock and a hard place.
Converting existing footy fans is easier than finding new ones.

But you either expand as they have and the call is too soon. Or you stay and 10 and fans from clubs not in it won't follow as their club isn't represented, slowing the growth rate potential. I mean what Hawk fan would tune in to watch Carlton v Melbourne women..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You genuinely think the same amount of people would watch regardless?
Well I think more people were watching season 1 then season 7 according to viewing stats released last year.

Rugby league, English football have rescued teams

Well I think more people were watching season 1 then season 7 according to viewing stats released last year.

Rugby league, English football have rescued teams
Season 1 had a huge amount of novelty factor to it, it's the underlying numbers that matter.

GF day!!

Hope it’s a good game, and going for Lions to win by 17pts

McCluggage Norm Smith.

I think it will be closer than that. A goal the difference IMO. Difficult to split the two.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Back