Mega Thread The Buckley/Malthouse Succession Plan Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Mick Malthouse

mm's coaching record speaks for itself. sadly, so does his media record.

I don't buy the 'media is pathetic, hypocritical, self-serving, etc' lines. They are simply cover stories for a comprehensive failure to perform in a key area of modern day public life. Eddie did his best when mm first came to melbourne to drag him out of the open warfare mode with the media. Unfortunately the problem seems to run deep with mick, its an area which seasoned performer like sheeds make him look like a rookie.

Sure, if the director role doesn't work out we will be loosing a super coach. But at least in this area we can be sure bucks will out perform him
Mick has said he's a shy type of person, which probably adds to it.

mm's coaching record speaks for itself. sadly, so does his media record.

I don't buy the 'media is pathetic, hypocritical, self-serving, etc' lines. They are simply cover stories for a comprehensive failure to perform in a key area of modern day public life. Eddie did his best when mm first came to melbourne to drag him out of the open warfare mode with the media. Unfortunately the problem seems to run deep with mick, its an area which seasoned performer like sheeds make him look like a rookie.

Sure, if the director role doesn't work out we will be loosing a super coach. But at least in this area we can be sure bucks will out perform him

Malthouse is a prickly performer only in regard to issues relating to Collingwood in his position as the coach.
He is a very good performer outside of that.
Very good.
So good in fact he is aggressively pursued by media outlets to work for them.

This seems at odds with your post.

In Mick's Message to members today. at the end, He made a point of saying goodbye to the Western Australians over there. Saying if he doesn't coach anymore, it will be the last opportunity to say goodbye and thank you.

Based on that, he either won't coach anyone next year and be director of coaching, or he will leave Collingwood and have a year off. I believe if he does take a year off, he will never be a senior coach again.

In Mick's Message to members today. at the end, He made a point of saying goodbye to the Western Australians over there. Saying if he doesn't coach anymore, it will be the last opportunity to say goodbye and thank you.

Based on that, he either won't coach anyone next year and be director of coaching, or he will leave Collingwood and have a year off. I believe if he does take a year off, he will never be a senior coach again.
I'm in the same boat. I think a year off coaching is enough for him to adjust and enjoy not having all the stresses of being head coach. If Collingwood can provide him with a job that he feels useful to the team (and with Eddie arranging it you'd think that's pretty likely) then he'll be here at least for next year. I'm not sure at his age he'd ever go back.

Is replacing mick the right thing to do ?

I assume there has been similar threads to this, i did try to search and found nothing.

As the title suggests, are they doing the right thing in your opinions ? i would be pissed if i supported collingwood...

Re: Is replacing mick the right thing to do ?

Back on topic now I think.

Sorry wart 101, you had every right to ask that question and not be abused.

Hey dooley, well done, thanks for sticking up for wart mate.

Just listened to Mick's interview on SEN and came to conclusion the only way he'll remain at the Club in 2012 will be if Bucks waits for another year.

He got asked what advice would he give to Neeld and he replied with something like this- "now this might come across as a bit pointed but Neeld should rule with an iron fist and not let anyone interfere for the first 3/4 years he's at the helm"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just listened to Mick's interview on SEN and came to conclusion the only way he'll remain at the Club in 2012 will be if Bucks waits for another year.

He got asked what advice would he give to Neeld and he replied with something like this- "now this might come across as a bit pointed but Neeld should rule with an iron fist and not let anyone interfere for the first 3/4 years he's at the helm"
Or he could be referring to the fact that Melbourne's last coach was constantly undermined but Schwab and Connolly, until the players didn't know who to listen too and was then knifed.

That probably connects up to Neeld and melbourne a little more doesn't it

Or he could be referring to the fact that Melbourne's last coach was constantly undermined but Schwab and Connolly, until the players didn't know who to listen too and was then knifed.

Your theory does make sense but he was very emphatic about a new coach having complete control over everyone at the club, from bootstudder up to assistant coaches. Very puzzling answer considering he's been making a drama about not knowing what his role will be all year.
I have no doubt in my mind from what I've heard Mick won't be with us next year.

I agree with this analysis. MFC has been a snakepit for too long & Mick knows that the new coach has to be strong & demanding to solidify his position & to achieve results.

So I'm hearing from some places that Mick won't be at Collingwood next year. I'm trying not to listen to it but it's being said in a couple of threads and on some websites. Just frustrating to hear because I'm sure he will be but I don't understand why so many people have to say he isn't, in an obvious attempt to try and distract Collingwood.

I still don't see why it matters.

There is ZERO that can be done about it.

It's not like he'll go to another club and win a flag within the first 5 years, by which time we'll be in a down period anyway so who cares?

Even if he's not at Collingwood, he won't coach anywhere else so it's irrelevant.

I think Terry Wallace would be a great DoC personally.

I just listened to the same interview (I assume as there are no others on the matter on SEN site.) and fail to see how you drew this conclusion...in any way.
He spoke exclusively about Neeld's strengths and had nothing to say regarding his own situation?

What the hell is wrong with you?

Nothing.

Why wouldn't he be?

Because Richmond didn't do well under him? Do you know all the circumstances surrounding his tenure at Richmond? Have you seen most of the Richmond current team and who was coaching while those players were recruited?

Do you remember his time at the Bulldogs?

Honestly, I'd love to hear a legitimate reason why Terry Wallace, at a club like Collingwood, wouldn't be a decent DoC, aside from the expected "lol Richmond' bullshit I expect many of you to spout.

I'd rather just throw my own name out there so I could get a front row seat of the club getting butt ****ed.

Huh?

I think many of you forget what a rabble Richmond was when Terry got there. They had almost zero football department, they had traded away almost all their top draft picks for the previous 3 to 4 years for duds.

He was basically in the same position Pagan was at Carlton right after the cap rorting. The first thing Terry had to do was put a rule in place where they would no longer trade first rounders (or top 10ers I think). But he was already 5 years behind the 8 ball when they started because they had no kids coming through and a team of tomatoes aside from Richo and a couple of former stars at the end of their careers.

He then set about trying to do the off-field stuff as well as attempting to make a useless team semi-competitive on field.

He had to do all this under constant pressure externally AND internally. Again, with no resources, shit facilities and a fractured factioned board.

Give the guy a f**king break.

Ironic, considering I've never seen you be so balanced in your appraisal when talking about Malthouse. Aren't results ALL that matter Ed? Malthouse took Collingwood from a wooden spoon to a Grand Final in 3 years but I never see you ever give credit for that regardless of the circumstances Malthouse was in for those first few years because he didn't get the job done. No premiership, no credit, right? Or do results suddenly not matter in Wallaces case, he's a joke, I don't want him anywhere near the club.

I think many of you forget what a rabble Richmond was when Terry got there. They had almost zero football department, they had traded away almost all their top draft picks for the previous 3 to 4 years for duds.
Yeh, Nathan Brown was a good example of a dud imo. Certainly not as savvy as trading a top 20 pick for Jordan McMahon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread The Buckley/Malthouse Succession Plan Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back