Preview The Contenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Simon Prestigiacomo

I thought that this man was stiff to not be selected, but after reading that he went up to MM and told him about the injury shows an immense amount of character for the great man. I still think that he's the best stopper on our list, however nobody can deny the performance of Nathan Brown. Will Presti be able to break into the side?

Tyson Goldsack

Even though his finals series hasnt been brilliant, i still thought that he had a role in the side. Theres something about him being in the side, that idea of a bit of backline insurance, which puts him in my best 22. I think he's got a lot to offer and i think he's the most likely to come in out of all the boys who missed out today

Tarkyn Lockyer

From all reports this week he was beating down the door to try and get into the side for the granny. imo he was never a serious chance for this week because i just dont think he's been good enough. However as i think there were a number of players in that forward structure who failed to perform at the required level, it may put him back into contention. However i'd doubt it

Paul Medhurst

In my opinion, he has been mr unlucky this season. Didnt start off the season well, when he came in, didnt make an impact and in general he wasnt exactly given a fiar go towards the end of the season when he was in ripping form in the 2's. However, as i mentioned earlier, the forwardline more or less didnt function the way it shouldve. Beams and Davis are the two that ill point out as the ones who had below par games and tbh i think Medders can have just as much if not more impact than Leon

So which of these boys do you think has a chance of cracking into the side and who do you think will go out?

And do you think there are any others who could potentially come into the side to play a role better than one of the current 22

Good op pretty much spot on.

Dont know about Tarkyn with his pace but definately has the engine and stregth Davis didnt give us.

IMHO We need Presti and Goldsack in.. they both give us that extra height, saints were taking to much easy pack marks with some of our players not going in for the team.

A good summary of our options.

Heart says Tarks, head says Tyson. It's a shame, but surely it's too late for Medhurst this year? I'd give Presti a 50/50 chance.

I just wonder about Tarks... Its not that i think he'd have a massive impact but, i dont know he's got that look of someone who in the right situation can be reliable. i.e Direct shot at goal 35 out on a slight angle *cough thomas cough* (im being harsh on Thomas i know but he really shouldve had a ping from there instead of setting it up)

One would think too late for medders but i put it to you, would he have done less than davis today ?

Good op pretty much spot on.

Dont know about Tarkyn with his pace but definately has the engine and stregth Davis didnt give us.

IMHO We need Presti and Goldsack in.. they both give us that extra height, saints were taking to much easy pack marks with some of our players not going in for the team.

I really like this and almost completely agree... The only thing i dont like about it is effectively Brown will be ruled out after a very good game against a champion player.

I really like this and almost completely agree... The only thing i dont like about it is effectively Brown will be ruled out after a very good game against a champion player.
Drop Davis and Blair, Blair hasnt done much for us this finals series very lucky to be in the GF imo.

Drop Davis and Blair, Blair hasnt done much for us this finals series very lucky to be in the GF imo.

Going in with Presti, Brown, Reid would on paper perhaps look a bit top heavy dont you think?

How would the match ups go ?

Going in with Presti, Brown, Reid would on paper perhaps look a bit top heavy dont you think?

How would the match ups go ?
Reid on Kosi
Presti on Riewoldt
Goldsack to run with Fisher (Could work..)
Yeah you're probaly right.. Brown might miss out.

Doubt they will make too many changes tho, Brown might stay in instead of Goldy.

dawes and brown, eventhough they played horridly won't be dropped. too good for our structure and the ruck factor helps.

goldsack should come in for so many reasons. the most obvious ones being that he is quick, killed saints last time we played and the coach loves him.

another option would be to bring in cameron wood. the saints can now be exposed in the ruck and allow us to free up jolly in the forward line. i would have loved him down there today more often.

one name not mentioned surprisingly is john anthony. we could use his accuracy, he is just as slow as lockyer and medhurst. can defend aswell. these are all just contenders though and my reasoning is that we go all out this gf.

This is completely based on nothing but jeez I just feel Medders coming in would result in something special (as Bruce would put it).

Who for? Has to be Davis. I love him and he kicked an important goal but just didn't do enough for me.

I believe bring Medhurst in for Davis a big gamble i know but i think he would still be better then leon at the moment. the presti saga well even if he is fit i think Nate Brown played a great game so no reason to drop him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not convinced on medhurst. remember last time he came in after playing weeks of vfl. he looked out of touch, like he needed a few weeks to come to terms with the speed of the game. now, he hasn't even been playing vfl.

dawes and brown, eventhough they played horridly won't be dropped. too good for our structure and the ruck factor helps.

goldsack should come in for so many reasons. the most obvious ones being that he is quick, killed saints last time we played and the coach loves him.

another option would be to bring in cameron wood. the saints can now be exposed in the ruck and allow us to free up jolly in the forward line. i would have loved him down there today more often.

one name not mentioned surprisingly is john anthony. we could use his accuracy, he is just as slow as lockyer and medhurst. can defend aswell. these are all just contenders though and my reasoning is that we go all out this gf.

I agree that goldy is almost a must. Despite his average performances I think he's the best option and i think blair will miss

I dont think cam is a realistic chance. He's only played 4 games this season and hasnt impressed on any level. Also i feel that he would be beaten by mcevoy and if yesterday is anything to go by, kozi as well

JA is another one i strongly considered today. But thats the thing, drop davis for anthony and all of a sudden that forwardline is extremely top heavy with all of Dawes, Cloke, JA, Leigh brown and Jolly rotating through it. Also, defensively JA isnt close to the level goldsack is and probably cant apply the pressure of davis or medhurst. I know what you mean by him being about as quick as lockyer but lockyer has a lot of good defensive qualities too that JA doesnt have at the moment

I agree in so much that you haven't got N.Brown out.

I think it's hard to speculate for outsiders as there's going to be so much to do with the mentality of the players, fatigue (mental and physical), the speed and run that the older players maintain this far into the season etc etc.

So yeah, hard to be selective and I trust that Mick and the panel will do the best job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back