the day the earth stood still

Remove this Banner Ad

noodnuts

Team Captain
Suspended
Mar 21, 2003
adelaide
saturday, 22 november, 2003. mark this date down in your diaries my friends because it marks an epoch changing event. it's the date when rugby union finally finally overtook rugby league as the most popular rugby code in australia, and pressed it's claim as the most popular sport in australia.

sure, many league supporters are crying foul over the media conspiracy which has resulted in a league media black out and saturation union coverage. but as the old saying goes.....you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink.

so say goodbye to guy sebastian because 4.34 million aussies have voted the wallabies the new australian idol, the most watched tv show since the olympics. things are looking grim for league and rupert murdoch would have seen the writing on the wall, he can see that union is the rugby code to back. once he decides to pull the plug on league the end is inevitable since he props up the storm, broncos and cowboys plus the english super league.

will league die a quick humane death and be put out of it's misery or will it be forced to suffer a long and painful death, it's festering maggot riddled carcass left swinging in the breeze to be picked clean by those savage media vultures?

league will come under financial presure quickly as sponsors fall over themselves trying to jump onboard the union bandwagon and let's not forget that the double wammy of the pokie tax is just around the corner. it's inevitable that many nrl clubs will go broke and the game will become semi professional at best forced to live in the shadows of the high flying union.

john o'neil has often bragged how he will buy out rugby league so should they accept his offer? how much is rugby league worth, perhaps they can offer the sporting infrastructure to the afl instead. should individual clubs try to broker their own deals or should the game be sold as a job lot?

ps: query to any gringo.....union took off after the 1991 wc, just who were these new fans, were they closet union supporters and why didn't they attend test matches before 1991? as i remember league was on a tina turner induced high with origin at the pinnacle of aussie sport.

• Banned
if you have nothing better to contribute to a serious discussion of league's future, then dont spoil other people's enjoyment of this forum. some of us have meaningful contributions to make.

"as i remember league was on a tina turner induced high with origin at the pinnacle of aussie sport."

Still is. Watch by over 8 million people last year.

Nice try(no pun intended) numbnuts. Shame there were about 15 forward passes and 8 knock-ons and 83 missed tackles in your pathetic little rant(just like the far poorer version of RL - RU. Which is why RL is WAY ahead in crowds in Sydney for club matches and TV ratings).

People will always have an opinion over which code is better, I'm partial to neither as I follow AFL and cricket (I live in Canberra) but there are a few things that Rugby League need to do to reach the heights of a world cup as was witnessed over the past 6 weeks here in Australia. Sure some of the games were one sided, but at least the countries who competed gave it their best. From what I remember, there used to be a World Cup in League, but it fell apart due to poor crowds and made up teams like Lebanon and Russia. Sure the marketing for the Union was huge but its more of a world game than League. Soccer will always be the number 1 world sport due to participation though.

League needs to do something about International football, only having 24000 people turn up to a test is pretty pathetic I must say. We get more to a club game of AFL.

I like Union, League is ok but the sports seem far apart in regards to fan base when it comes to test matches. The only thing League has is State of Origin, but only 2 states and a territory care about that, they need to get better or they will crash and burn in the future. I'm sure Super 12 will grow from this and the team base will expand. The Brumbies usually sell out games when ever they play, where the Raiders fail to get 5000 to a game. What can you do to improve this?? I dont think Murdoch cares anymore, his Super 12 has taken off, Foxtel has 2 dedicated channels to AFL, NRL only gets a few live games on the weekend, no dedicated channel. I'd be dissapointed if I was a league fan and a bit worried about the future due to the World Cup, you people need to start thinking about the future, no one gets behind the Kangaroos like they do the Wallabies.

Originally posted by Mark Rudd

Nice try(no pun intended) numbnuts. Shame there were about 15 forward passes and 8 knock-ons and 83 missed tackles in your pathetic little rant(just like the far poorer version of RL - RU. Which is why RL is WAY ahead in crowds in Sydney for club matches and TV ratings).
Straight through to the keeper, oblivious to the F18 Hornet which flies overhead with streamers and flares at MACH 3.

- sorry mark, too much flight sim.

People will always have an opinion over which code is better, I'm partial to neither as I follow AFL and cricket (I live in Canberra) but there are a few things that Rugby League need to do to reach the heights of a world cup as was witnessed over the past 6 weeks here in Australia. Sure some of the games were one sided, but at least the countries who competed gave it their best. From what I remember, there used to be a World Cup in League, but it fell apart due to poor crowds and made up teams like Lebanon and Russia. Sure the marketing for the Union was huge but its more of a world game than League. Soccer will always be the number 1 world sport due to participation though.

League needs to do something about International football, only having 24000 people turn up to a test is pretty pathetic I must say. We get more to a club game of AFL.

I like Union, League is ok but the sports seem far apart in regards to fan base when it comes to test matches. The only thing League has is State of Origin, but only 2 states and a territory care about that, they need to get better or they will crash and burn in the future. I'm sure Super 12 will grow from this and the team base will expand. The Brumbies usually sell out games when ever they play, where the Raiders fail to get 5000 to a game. What can you do to improve this?? I dont think Murdoch cares anymore, his Super 12 has taken off, Foxtel has 2 dedicated channels to AFL, NRL only gets a few live games on the weekend, no dedicated channel. I'd be dissapointed if I was a league fan and a bit worried about the future due to the World Cup, you people need to start thinking about the future, no one gets behind the Kangaroos like they do the Wallabies

ok one thing, no one gives a **** about RU other than the Wallabies. 2nd even though its 2 states and a territory its still 1/2 of Australias population.

Super 12 was so bad last season they cut it from TV. RL has it better with its veiwing on normal fox channels as you dont have to pay more.

Seriously people were going for Australia and not the wallabies. You ask most people to name 3 wallabies and they say Wendell Sailor, Mat Rogers and Lote Tiqiri.

And also Kangaroos test matches nearly always beats a RU test match in the ratings apart from this world cup.

Originally posted by holc
ok one thing, no one gives a **** about RU other than the Wallabies. 2nd even though its 2 states and a territory its still 1/2 of Australias population.

Super 12 was so bad last season they cut it from TV. RL has it better with its veiwing on normal fox channels as you dont have to pay more.

Seriously people were going for Australia and not the wallabies. You ask most people to name 3 wallabies and they say Wendell Sailor, Mat Rogers and Lote Tiqiri.

And also Kangaroos test matches nearly always beats a RU test match in the ratings apart from this world cup.

A typical response from someone who follows RL and believes no other sport exists. I was stating facts and a true reflection from the majority of people around this country. You guys need a reality check if you want the game to survive. As for Super 12 being cut from TV, Super 12 was created by Murdoch for Foxtel, channel 7 may play some games (delayed) if allowed. As for the Kangawhos out rating Union test matches, it hasn't and never will. You guys cant even fill Stadium Australia for a Semi Final let alone a test match!! Now that's laughable!!

Originally posted by Mickey
A typical response from someone who follows RL and believes no other sport exists. I was stating facts and a true reflection from the majority of people around this country. You guys need a reality check if you want the game to survive. As for Super 12 being cut from TV, Super 12 was created by Murdoch for Foxtel, channel 7 may play some games (delayed) if allowed. As for the Kangawhos out rating Union test matches, it hasn't and never will. You guys cant even fill Stadium Australia for a Semi Final let alone a test match!! Now that's laughable!!

What? Australia V New Zealand on a friday night easily outrated The Bledisloe Cup game between the same nations the next day... The GB V Australia games were shown at 5am...

Bulldogs V Roosters Sold Out for a SEMI-FINAL...
When Union have a CLub competition worth talking about come back to us you know when more then family and some REALLY close friends go too... The Super 12 rates so badly its LAUGHABLE...

The WC was supportered by NRL AND AFL supporters because of the EVENT... In a months time no one will remember the WC and next year everyone will go back too supporting there team/s in the NRL AND AFL... Its a FACT that the majority of the tickets for ordinary Test Matches in Union are for corporates. Anyone can sell-out matches by doing it Union style...

Originally posted by Mark Rudd
"as i remember league was on a tina turner induced high with origin at the pinnacle of aussie sport."

Still is. Watch by over 8 million people last year.

what's this 8 million???

rugby union is not based on club competition like league, the money is made with international competition. it will be interesting to see how league ratings, crowds and general interest holds up next year.

Originally posted by LebaneseForces
Bulldogs V Roosters Sold Out for a SEMI-FINAL...
When Union have a CLub competition worth talking about come back to us you know when more then family and some REALLY close friends go too... The Super 12 rates so badly its LAUGHABLE...

Interesting how you say "family and friends" for a club Rugby game, when club Rugby is just that, club.

You cant sit there and honestly say that crowds for League are huge, you cant average over 10,000 people per game per weekend, disgraceful.

Club Rugby does not have the status of sponsorship as does League, hence why we have Super 12. Then you say Super 12 does not rate?? Maybe from TV but thats because Foxtel dont use ratings as a guide. People, yes real people turn up to Super 12 to actually watch the game. Like I said, Brumbies crowds on average is 24,000, Raiders crowds 3000 - 4000.

and WOW, 1 Semi Final sold out, was that played at Stadium Australia?? Swans Vs Collingwood was a home and away game and they got more people than you guys did for 5 rounds of football. Before you start on about crowds for "club" Rugby, have a look at crowds for the NRL. PATHETIC!!!!!!! No one cares, no one even knew the Kangawhos were playing in England in a series. Until you guys start averaging over 20,000 people, per game, every weekend, come and see me ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too bad you wont see a figure like that for another 16 or 20 years when Australia might host a world cup again.

In the mean time. LEague rules :)

Interesting how you say "family and friends" for a club Rugby game, when club Rugby is just that, club.

You cant sit there and honestly say that crowds for League are huge, you cant average over 10,000 people per game per weekend, disgraceful.

Club Rugby does not have the status of sponsorship as does League, hence why we have Super 12. Then you say Super 12 does not rate?? Maybe from TV but thats because Foxtel dont use ratings as a guide. People, yes real people turn up to Super 12 to actually watch the game. Like I said, Brumbies crowds on average is 24,000, Raiders crowds 3000 - 4000.

and WOW, 1 Semi Final sold out, was that played at Stadium Australia?? Swans Vs Collingwood was a home and away game and they got more people than you guys did for 5 rounds of football. Before you start on about crowds for "club" Rugby, have a look at crowds for the NRL. PATHETIC!!!!!!! No one cares, no one even knew the Kangawhos were playing in England in a series. Until you guys start averaging over 20,000 people, per game, every weekend, come and see me ok.

3000-4000 thousand i would love too know how you came up with that figure??? Bulldogs averaged over 17 thousand, Brisbane average over 25k, Newcastle averaged over 16k, Warriors well you get point... Bulldogs V Canberra, Brisbane V Canberra, Roosters V Canberra all got over or around 20k at BRuce Stadium and there the only ones i can remember...

Originally posted by melbournestorm
I'm an idiot. While I was reading what noodnuts had originally posted I thought he was being sarcastic. Took me a while to realise he was actually serious. lol

i am serious, i think league is in serious trouble from union and i just cant see how they can fight back. even the unionites are starting to talk about buying out rugby league with all the money they now have.

i think that tim horan's brother mentioned this and that union will now target league players with the cash bonanza they made from this wc.

What can they do? Buy another 12 players and have a Wallaby team made up of ex- League players? They going to do that with the Super-12 teams too?

I doubt it.

A lot of the money I believe was being wasted on huge expenses from Hotel's, dinner's and cocktail's and so on. I also believe a few of the teams are digusted with the ARU over this. No wonder.

The 8 million was the TV numbers for the 3 Origins. And it wasnt live anywhere else but QLD/NSW. Not bad eh. It really does look like the NRL is going backwards huh.........not.

numnuts, up to your old ticks again eh...

So not only is RU going to take over the in the AFL states, which you have intelligently referred to as 'mexicans', but it is also going to take over from RL in NSW and QLD. For those who are interested numnuts started a simmilar thread, on the AFL board:

let's be honest

numnuts, please read the following thread:

Will you take an interest in Rugby now?

I understand this is an Internet forum, which is not the best place to gauge public opinion; however, by scanning thought the aforementioned thread, it is evident that not many 'Mexicans' will continue to follow RU. Furthermore, none that I have seen and no one that I know will choose this sport over AR, which seems to be contrary to your deluded opinion.

Now im no expert about RL, but I suspect the same thing, that is, RL will remain the number 1 sport in NSW and QLD now that the RWC over.

comparing club rugby to the NRL is like comparing apples and oranges. The NRL is not a suburban club comp, it is a merger between NSWRL and QRL comps, as well as other teams from NZ, Newcastle, Canberra, Melbourne, Townsville etc. If you are comparing club rugby (of which the elite players are always unavailable) then it has to be compared to the Premier League or the Queensland Cup.

Originally posted by nicko18
comparing club rugby to the NRL is like comparing apples and oranges. The NRL is not a suburban club comp, it is a merger between NSWRL and QRL comps, as well as other teams from NZ, Newcastle, Canberra, Melbourne, Townsville etc. If you are comparing club rugby (of which the elite players are always unavailable) then it has to be compared to the Premier League or the Queensland Cup.

Agreed!! Very well put.

Oh yeah, can someone tell me why it is called NRL (National Rugby League) when it is only played in NSW/QLD and a bit part in the ACT and even a smaller part of Victoria, seems strange to me, but anyway. Just wondering why?? Any reason??

Actually, what is now the NRL is really little more than the old (Sydney) NSWRL with a few expansion teams added, in the same way that the AFL is basically the old VFL with a few out-of-Melbourne expansion teams.

At times, the Brisbane Rugby League competition could give the Sydney one a good run for its money but the admission of the Broncos to the Sydney comp in the late 80s put paid to that and (arguably) hit it even harder than the expansion of the VFL into the AFL did to the SANFL, etc. To an extent you can also say the same for the Newcastle and Illawarra leagues, and other regional leagues.

Agreed!! Very well put.

Oh yeah, can someone tell me why it is called NRL (National Rugby League) when it is only played in NSW/QLD and a bit part in the ACT and even a smaller part of Victoria, seems strange to me, but anyway. Just wondering why?? Any reason??

:confused: Thats half the population of Australia... Its also played in Perth in quiet good numbers... And once a Perth and Adelaide team comeback it'll take off!!!! The Averages for the Rams and Reds say that! But no the stupid NRL had too cave in with News limited and cut them!!!!! That was the worst decision they could of made!

BTW Canberra's avergae crowd for this season was 13,422... The higher ones were Brisbane with 24,326, Bulldogs with 21,117, Newcastle 18,298, Penrith with 17,771, Warriors with 16,842 and Roosters with over 16k... Season Average for all NRL Home & Away crowd was 14,632... Might not be big in AFL standards but that is a record season in Rugby League... TV ratings are at a all time high and so is the game!!! Its far from dying buddy!!! So get over it! RL is here too stay and so is AFL and so is RU...

Remove this Banner Ad

the day the earth stood still

Remove this Banner Ad

Back