Autopsy "The Flu Game" - Bulldogs dismantle Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Reasonable summary. I think the offensive outlet he provides between wing and half forward is significantly under-valued here. He finds space regularly and goes I50 successfully to marking targets often from those situations. Not at 100% but he's Vandermeer not Vandermeerelli. Has a pretty penetrating kick too.

He could improve his set shot kicking no doubt.
im not a huge VDM fan, lots of flaws, but i do get why he is selected, he covers ground well and closes space, provides some physicality at times, just a shame he cant play otherwise

Something I noticed at the game was English run up for bounces was a lot shorter than normal

Clearly he's learning how to battle more physical rucks by getting closer and letting his height and length win out

I wonder what Buss isnt doing at VFL level for them to play Buku ahead of him. Buku is completely lost down back at AFL level. his intercept marking is his only trick, doesnt use his athleticism at all when ball hits the ground
Apparently he was so far off it contest wise they've basically had to teach him how to compete in one on one situations and embrace the contact side of the game.

Apparently he was so far off it contest wise they've basically had to teach him how to compete in one on one situations and embrace the contact side of the game.
You must have the same source as me, ha

"Used to dominating as a junior, never learned to compete".

Which is weird, what I've seen at VFL doesn't look like that at all.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I could be the only person on this board who is not stunned by his continued selection when fit. I feel there is a lot of confirmation bias at play with VDM. It's an opinion game so each to their own.

TL/DR. I'm very comfortable with his continued selection and always have been.
Ditto.
We need more players willing to sacrifice their game for the team, not less.

I am literally in awe of the Bont. His attack on the contest and that effort against 3 defenders including Pierce and Ryan just shouldn’t be possible at AFL level … and yet it was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wish I was at the game for it - sounded like the crowd went nuts through the TV.

Has anyone mentioned Cody? What a spark he gives the team. Everyone sits forward when he's near the ball, expecting something good to happen. He's into everything with his persistence and determination, a real crowd favourite. Reminds me of the early days of Dahlhaus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gallagher's 2 goals probably keep him in the side but he continues to make poor decisions with his disposal. The coaches obviously like his input and you can see he has potential but he's very much wearing L plates. I suppose it's about having tolerance for a developing young player.
He kicked a beautiful bullet pass to Bramble that opened up the game at one stage too if memory serves me correctly. No hesitation, pulled the trigger and nailed it.

Wish I was at the game for it - sounded like the crowd went nuts through the TV.
Freo supporters all around me clapped and some stood with us. The Freo supporting guys next to me just burst out laughing and stood and clapped.

Last edited:
Liam Jones is also critically underrated by the wider AFL community.

I don't think he is quite at AA level, but he is pretty close to it and gets no buzz from anywhere.

So here's an interesting table that illustrates something that may not be readily apparent

1718503990551.png

Two of the biggest whipping boys on this site have at least one thing in common (on yesterday's stats anyway). 75% or more of their disposals are score involvements or part of a scoring chain. 3rd best is 64% and only 6 players exceed 50%.

If we're looking for indicators as to why some players continue to be selected this may be one of them.

That's not to say they can't improve in a number of areas, including volume possibly, but they seem to be part of our scoring.

Good observation - we seemed to my eye to kick fewer high bombs inside 50.

And those that made the observation about team spirit and Lobb's role in that were spot on. Players mobbed Lobb at one point after he goaled and the joy on the players faces when a team mate scored was very obvious. You can almost feel it when a team is on the same page and happy and that's what we have right now. It's glorious!
Players are aware of both media and supporter pile-ons.

So, Its only natural for them to get around a player who many had written off as worthless during the week.

I cannot imagine the emotional toll that being the scapegoat for last weeks sub-par performance must've had on him in particular and the team in general. They had a point to prove and they went about it as ruthlessly as a dogs side ever has.

As for the i50 observation. It helps when you have Dale, Richards and The Bont who are 3 of the best kicks in the game slicing through the middle of the ground unopposed. As Ive said previously. Rotating Richards through the middle is the transformational spark that our side has needed for two years.

Two of the biggest whipping boys on this site have at least one thing in common (on yesterday's stats anyway). 75% or more of their disposals are score involvements or part of a scoring chain. 3rd best is 64% and only 6 players exceed 50%.

If we're looking for indicators as to why some players continue to be selected this may be one of them.
Ban science.

Liam Jones is also critically underrated by the wider AFL community.

I don't think he is quite at AA level, but he is pretty close to it and gets no buzz from anywhere.
We were absolutely blessed to get him back, life without him now is scary !

I have noticed the last few games he has gone to ground a bit more than you would like.
Hope it’s just me being a little paranoid ?

Ban science.
I apologize to anyone who may find the statistical truth to be inconvenient.

Here's another fun one

1718508023825.png

I50s as a percentage of disposals .... it's not even close. Laith (63%) then daylight then Ed Richards (29%). I50s as a percentage of Score Involvements ... Buku at 100% and Laith at 83% miles ahead.

When I throw all this into the mix ..... Bevo wants VDM to run into space and take possession between half forward and wing as often as possible and after taking possession to go inside 50 ... himself ... either by foot or by running. There seems to be an extremely high correlation between that happening and us scoring.

My only criticism would be volume related and that it doesn't happen enough.

What's also a little interesting is if you look at his heat map (I can't find a way to get this image here) you'll see that there are only 2 places on the ground that he spends the majority of his time. Between half fwd and right wing (by far the most dominant area) and also in the left fwd pocket. That's pretty much it ... nowhere else. And I'd bet London to a brick that the vast majority of his (in)famous repeat sprinting is between half fwd and the right wing.

I'd say he is the very definition of a role player.

Last edited:
We were absolutely blessed to get him back, life without him now is scary !

I have noticed the last few games he has gone to ground a bit more than you would like.
Hope it’s just me being a little paranoid ?
I've noticed this also. In fact at one stage I called out: "stay on your feet Jonesy" as he put himself out of the contest. Minor criticism, without him our backline would be cactus.

I was so inspired by Bont I watched the replay last night and noticed this. In the 2nd quarter when Bailey Dale intercepted the Freo play and done a couple of great sidesteps and got it to Jamarra, Eddie Betts, sitting next to Jonno launched out of his seat, because he could see what we could see 3 tiers up, and that was a free Bont and Westy in the goal square. Pure football excitement still running through Eddies veins. Love it. IMG_2948.jpeg IMG_2949.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy "The Flu Game" - Bulldogs dismantle Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back