News The Forgotten Story of Peter Jackson

Remove this Banner Ad

Tyson was something extraordinary to behold, like the West Indies of the 80s. I'm not old enough to have seen Foreman live - although I got a measure of the man by watching When We Were Kings about 8 times - but Tyson was the Foreman of our age. Unrelenting.

To paraphrase Norman Mailer describing Foreman, Tyson was a physical guru, just a monstrous force.

I'm amazed he is 5"10, that's my height. It's an average height but tiny for a heavyweight. But he just had such a massive torso!

Tyson was something extraordinary to behold, like the West Indies of the 80s. I'm not old enough to have seen Foreman live - although I got a measure of the man by watching When We Were Kings about 8 times - but Tyson was the Foreman of our age. Unrelenting.

To paraphrase Norman Mailer describing Foreman, Tyson was a physical guru, just a monstrous force.
Of course Norman's best known quote is "You can never go home".

It's why I dislike MMA, we've done the violence.

I'm amazed he is 5"10, that's my height. It's an average height but tiny for a heavyweight. But he just had such a massive torso!

He was just a compact mass with killer speed and just menace. He was a great student of the game, watching every boxers tapes and just absorbing it all. That's an impossible combination to deny, until you bring some coke into the mix.

When you clasp your eyes on Foreman he just looked like an unassailable block. His head looked impervious to punishment.

He was just a compact mass with killer speed and just menace. He was a great student of the game, watching every boxers tapes and just absorbing it all. That's an impossible combination to deny, until you bring some coke into the mix.

When you clasp your eyes on Foreman he just looked like an unassailable block. His head looked impervious to punishment.
So like Richmond supporters?

The old irresistable force vs the immovable object... What a fight that would have been...

Tyson ended up getting found out after he lost that he goes hard for 2-3 rounds then he gasses out. Unfortunately I was too young to witness full Tyson mania.

MMA is sickening to me. I know boxing delivers a lot of brain damage and penury but MMA is just too brutal. I remember seeing a bout at a pub in Collingwood and one of the guys was bleeding profusely and the contest continued. Unedifying for me and whole bullshit with cages.

Boxing is far, far more brutal on the brain. You can replace blood and heal cuts pretty easy. A cage set-up is also safer than a ring.

I don't think that MMA is a better sport, neither more skilful or entertaining. That's a matter of opinion.

I think what is harder to dispute is that boxing largely killed itself. Too many divisions, too many boxing organisations and world titles, and far too many good fights which were never made or were delayed because of pay TV and/or politics.
This is where MMA shits on boxing, there is a top level and if you're not competing in it you're pretty much a nobody. Maintaining the opinion that MMA is less skillful than boxing is just willful ignorance.

This is where MMA shits on boxing, there is a top level and if you're not competing in it you're pretty much a nobody. Maintaining the opinion that MMA is less skillful than boxing is just willful ignorance.

Not a particularly compelling argument, but you're probably right that I'm not going to be persuaded. Most MMA fights look to me like a cross between two tired drunks trying to finish each other off and a primitive courting ritual. I'll happily rest on my ignorance.

For me, the great tragedy for Tyson was that he was champ at a fairly low ebb for the heavyweight division. It makes it hard to measure exactly how good he was, and (with all due respect to Berbick and Biggs and Williams and even Bruno) I really don't think that his opponents were ever able to get the best out of Tyson.

This is where it's more fun to engage in those pointless matchups between Tyson and Ali, or Marciano, or Louis etc. Just on that, Tyson's style was not dissimilar to Joe Frazier, who managed to give Ali (but not Foreman) a tough time. Ali had a bit of a blind spot, seemed he could never spot the left hook quickly enough, and Tyson's greatest strength was his ability to throw power punches from ridiculous angles, which more than made up for the reach disadvantage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back