Review The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Hawthorn Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s kind of the point. Ruckman don’t need to be ineffective around the ground. It’s hit outs that are unimportant, as evidenced by ROB’s regular domination of hit outs and our midfield getting smashed. Would rather have a ruckman who got beaten in hit outs but could kick, mark and handball at something approaching a professional level.
And we have a quality midfield now so he isn't surrounded by a midfield lead by Laird anymore but yet his hit out isn't not only to advantage but are to the advantage of the opposition midfielders.

Riewoldt, capt of a perennial cellar dwellar .....can't comment on any teams gameplan

In fact, of late he's been quite off the planet with some of his commentary

The gameplan was alright the last 4 games ....but if players don't come to play, any gameplan falls down

All of these -

Melbourne get 5 goals up (third quarter) and we chase tail

Essendon get 4 goals up (second quarter) and we chase tail.

Collingwood get 5 goals up (second quarter) and we chase tail.

Hawthorn get 5 goals up (first quarter) and we chase tail.

There is an obvious trend that our coaching staff seem to be oblivious to.

What the **** is Nicks saying in his pre-match address?

You could see from that Jones goal, where he chose to position himself for the receive instead of blocking for his team mate, that he's probably not following direction.
This!
Good thing Jones was clever and accurate.

Rachele looks to receive the ball, not get the ball or protect his mates.

Convenient to blame Hamish and the recruiting team for everything, they are only one part of the list management committee. It's on record that the recruiting team had Tim English pencilled in for our pick but Pyke wanted speed hence Galluucci was taken at the pick they were for taking English. Veteran recruiter Phil Bunn admitted that in his interview he did on AFL trade radio several years ago as most are aware. That would lead you to believe at that point (2016 draft) that ROB (2014 Rookie Draft) was likely not seen as a long term prospect at that time.

It’s not just convenient to blame Hamish it’s warranted

We have the following players in the current squad which have managed to gain all Australian status so it’s a comparison against the rest of the comp

Walker
Laird
Smith
Crouch
Dawson

Crouch is the only one drafted by Hamish in the 12 years he has been the boss

He’s not the only way to blame those that have left him in the job for 12 years are also incompetent leaving an incompetent Hamish in charge of trying get to build a list which he is not capable of doing

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This!
Good thing Jones was clever and accurate.

Rachele looks to receive the ball, not get the ball or protect his mates.

In this instance but there is something terribly wrong how we decide to play this stop, start type of football and Chayce does this repeatedly then once the heat is out, we go on the attack.

It is so bleeding obvious to all and sundry.

It's not really a recruiting staff issue though is it...this has to a list management issue. It's well known the recruiting staff of Hamish Ogilvie, Steve McCrystal and Phil Bunn were all over Tim English but the coach at the time Pyke wanted speed thus Jordan Gallucci was selected. Veteran recruiter Phil Bunn put that on the record on AFL trade radio several years ago.

And a guy much higher up, sitting next to Hamish at the time, said that’s bullshit

Nb: Bunn wasn’t even at the table

Convenient to blame Hamish and the recruiting team for everything, they are only one part of the list management committee. It's on record that the recruiting team had Tim English pencilled in for our pick but Pyke wanted speed hence Galluucci was taken at the pick they were for taking English. Veteran recruiter Phil Bunn admitted that in his interview he did on AFL trade radio several years ago as most are aware. That would lead you to believe at that point (2016 draft) that ROB (2014 Rookie Draft) was likely not seen as a long term prospect at that time.

Still wrong, every time you say it.

Watching him in SANFL games.

He is not the mobile Ruckman many here, myself included, want.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Strachans last 3 games.

21 disposals, 7 marks, 1 goal, 4 i50s, 4 clearances, 44 hitouts
15 disposals, 48 hitouts, 7 clearances, 7 i50s,
22 disposals, 8 marks, 6 rebound 50s

Where is the selection integrity? Enough of Nicks and his favorites.

All of these -

We have no strategy to slowdown the opposition when they have a run on.

Don't expect this coaching group to solve it either.

Unfortunately they just don't have the collective smarts needed to coach successfully.

Have seen enough to know we won't be successful until changes are made.

All of these -

I would suggest the new age Coach allows the players to motivate themselves pre-match .....then at half time when we're down, the players are given a rocket

Is it fair to suggest this group is not yet at a level to self motivate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we hadn't he would've teed off saying we didn't even have the respect to stay on the ground for a milestone and we're petty for hanging on to something that happened 15 years ago.

You literally can't win with these gutter "journalists".

Needs to be some agreement between the Captains. Guard of honour for 300 games or a players final game before retirement. Clubs can do their own for other milestones.

I would suggest the new age Coach allows the players to motivate themselves pre-match .....then at half time when we're down, the players are given a rocket

I'd suggest that a part of the Senior Coach's job is to figure out which players need it and which don't.
Some respond strongly to a rev-up; others are more insular/quiet and need a less-hands-on approach.

How can a Coach find out, other than observation during training and on Match Days?
Research/ legwork/ phone calls. Show an interest.

Ask the player. Have an informal chat to his family, close siblings, close friends (with the players' knowledge and agreement).
Talk to his Coach from Juniors. Some players form very strong bonds with Coaches during the formative process and input from them would be valuable.
Work it out and use it to get the best out of someone.

Late to the party after watching a recording of the delayed telecast (why, oh why did I bother?)

I'm a little surprised this thread wasn't titled "Keeping Shape, Keeping Shat II", because the majority of the first half looked like the same garbage we were serving up at our worst moments in games 1-4.

Slow, timid, sideways and negative movement. Total lack of effort of our midfielders to chase when they did not have the ball. Not accounting for the Hawks loose man in defence who regularly cut us off on the occasional venture forward. We have seen all of this crap before, and thought it was behind us - wrong. Our coaches again did pretty much little to nothing to arrest this slide until the game was virtually gone...

I genuinely had a LOL moment at the start of the last quarter they moved Michalanney into the middle. Before the Eagles gameday thread last week someone came up with this gem, to which I replied it would be a genuinely creative move, but something our coaches would never come up with! Have they really run out of ideas and are getting them from us at BigFooty now, or are they taking the p!ss and this was an elaborate troll?

I'm sure there was something good out there, but the bad of the day outweighed anything worth mentioning.

Ugly: There's the real possibility that was Tex's last game at the MCG, and it's an awful way to go out if that is the case. He's had more than his fair share of bad luck at that place over the years.

It's refreshing to see someone put the heat on the player rather than blaming recruiters or the match committee. Rachele played game one after being drafted and started on fire. He was given every opportunity right from the start. The slide has been slow and steady. Is it development or is it the hubris of a young man who isn't used to having to work for it? Soligo started at the same time and is an interesting comparison - Rachele is obviously well behind.

You could see from that Jones goal, where he chose to position himself for the receive instead of blocking for his team mate, that he's probably not following direction. Michalanney looked better on ball than Rachele has all year. Rachele was supposed to share forward/on ball with Rankine this year - now Rankine has one foot in the stratosphere and Rachele is nowhere.

He's very much at a crossroads.

Rachele has to lift no doubt. Not all of this is on him though. He had 2 CBA’s yesterday - and A chunk of that is because without Thilthorpe, Rankine, Pedlar and then Walker our rolls Royce forward line of 2023 is pretty threadbare without him
But then we didn’t get it up there much anyway.
Rachele coping a fair bit on here but I actual think of all the players he is feeling the most similar emotions to the BF board. Wants the opportunity to do more - feels he can do more - but restricted through being locked in the small forward role

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Late to the party after watching a recording of the delayed telecast (why, oh why did I bother?)

I'm a little surprised this thread wasn't titled "Keeping Shape, Keeping Shat II", because the majority of the first half looked like the same garbage we were serving up at our worst moments in games 1-4.

Slow, timid, sideways and negative movement. Total lack of effort of our midfielders to chase when they did not have the ball. Not accounting for the Hawks loose man in defence who regularly cut us off on the occasional venture forward. We have seen all of this crap before, and thought it was behind us - wrong. Our coaches again did pretty much little to nothing to arrest this slide until the game was virtually gone...

I genuinely had a LOL moment at the start of the last quarter they moved Michalanney into the middle. Before the Eagles gameday thread last week someone came up with this gem, to which I replied it would be a genuinely creative move, but something our coaches would never come up with! Have they really run out of ideas and are getting them from us at BigFooty now, or are they taking the p!ss and this was an elaborate troll?

I'm sure there was something good out there, but the bad of the day outweighed anything worth mentioning.

Ugly: There's the real possibility that was Tex's last game at the MCG, and it's an awful way to go out if that is the case. He's had more than his fair share of bad luck at that place over the years.

Max went in during the 3rd quarter - and that was due to Dawson being completely done, Rachele needing to stay forward as we don’t have much up there, and so desperate times calls for desperate measures.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Are you high? Of course Nicks would be pumping up the players pre-game, that’s one of more idiotic excuses you’ve come up with yet.

Our starts have been an issue for awhile, no way he’s allowing them to “self-motivate”.

And given our starts if that’s what he’s doing, he’s an even bigger idiot than I thought, but it’s not the case, it’s just an absurd suggestion

Last edited:
Are you high? Of course Nicks would be pumping up the players pre-game, that’s one of more idiotic excuses you’ve come up with yet.

Our starts have been an issue for awhile, no way he’s allowing them to “self-motivate”.

And given our starts if that’s what he’s doing, he’s an even bigger idiot than I thought, but it’s not the case, it’s just an absurd suggestion
The only reason for allowing them to self motivate would be if he has no idea how to do it himself.

I’d understand if he meant self medicate but it’s the most idiotic thing I’ve read on here I reckon.

Can you imagine it? No prematch address, just the players doing their thing
Perhaps McHenry addressed the playing group... ;)

If only we had someone whose job it was to prepare and motivate the team

I’d understand if he meant self medicate but it’s the most idiotic thing I’ve read on here I reckon.

Can you imagine it? No prematch address, just the players doing their thing

All those pre-game preparations, roles and opponent specific tactics just thrown in the bin

Alright lads go out there and football

Remove this Banner Ad

Review The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Hawthorn Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back