List Mgmt. The Kelly and All Draft and Trades Discussion Thread- #freetim #ITSHAPPENING

What will we pay for Kelly?

• 2019 1st, future 2020 1st and 2nd for Kelly and their 2020 2nd

Votes: 41 19.4%
  • 2019 1st and future 2020 1st

Votes: 99 46.9%
  • 2019 1st plus a player e.g. Petrucelle, Brander

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • 4th rounder and Kurt Mutimer

Votes: 35 16.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dylan looking at all his text messages. He's not coming back gaiz 🐊

Image result for chubbs peterson gif

IMO the draft itself is fine the way it currently works. Maybe not fine but manageable.

What completely fu**s it up is all the s**t the AFL have heaped on top of it with this completely ******* ridiculous "Restricted free agent/free agent/compensation pick to keep everyone happy" system over the top of it.

God i hate our system.

That's exactly what I mean. The draft was designed as an equalisation measure to ensure even spread of new talent across the clubs. Now they have moved away from that and it also the mechanism that deals with NGA (worthwhile concept) Father/Son and Free agency comp, it compromises the drafts primary function.

I'd be down with getting rid of it, draft/rookie contracts all being the same monetary value and have maximum amount of recruits per year each club can bring on to their list (cap it at 3-4). After 2 or 3 year initial contracts, free agency being offered to all players. Many people would call me crazy, but maybe we need to just let the market take care of itself. We already have equalisation measures in place with TPP and soft cap. Market forces would dictate that clubs need to spend more time and money on talent attraction and retention.

That's exactly what I mean. The draft was designed as an equalisation measure to ensure even spread of new talent across the clubs. Now they have moved away from that and it also the mechanism that deals with NGA (worthwhile concept) Father/Son and Free agency comp, it compromises the drafts primary function.

I'd be down with getting rid of it, draft/rookie contracts all being the same monetary value and have maximum amount of recruits per year each club can bring on to their list (cap it at 3-4). After 2 or 3 year initial contracts, free agency being offered to all players. Many people would call me crazy, but maybe we need to just let the market take care of itself. We already have equalisation measures in place with TPP and soft cap. Market forces would dictate that clubs need to spend more time and money on talent attraction and retention.
TPP is ajoke as it is abused, and the AFL dont enforce the rules
draft works, its free agency that doesnt
ie had richmond traded for lynch last year or lost picks etc the market forces would have worked

AFL website like everyone else still discussing the prospect of Freo getting Kelly. FFS they shouldn't be in the conversation anymore. This has only happened because Geelong raised the idea of him joining them & fueled even further due to anti-Eagles bias. Kelly has reiterated for a 2nd year that he is only interested in going to our club. Is anyone discussing whether GWS should try to get Daniher just because he wants to join the Swans/wants to live in Sydney (even if they don't need him)?

excellent, appreciate the help and support and those brilliant articles you post

Oh yeah, you seem ignorant to your own club's history, so I'm happy to educate you before you go around bad mouthing West Coast

AFL website like everyone else still discussing the prospect of Freo getting Kelly. FFS they shouldn't be in the conversation anymore. Kelly has reiterated for a 2nd year that he is only interested in going to our club. Is anyone discussing whether GWS should try to get Daniher just because he wants to the Swans (even if they don't need him)?
well buddy was going to gws well sort of

AFL website like everyone else still discussing the prospect of Freo getting Kelly. FFS they shouldn't be in the conversation anymore. Kelly has reiterated for a 2nd year that he is only interested in going to our club. Is anyone discussing whether GWS should try to get Daniher just because he wants to the Swans (even if they don't need him)?

You're being overly sensitive.

The majority of commentators and punters scoff when that is brought up. Only people that really hold that door ajar is Wells, Peter Bell and Damian Barrett.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The majority of commentators and punters scoff when that is brought up. Only people that really hold that door ajar is Wells, Peter Bell and Damian Barrett.
The door is wedged open, wells has billy's shoe and the door is not shutting

Q. If keely was a Victorian and asked to be traded to carlton what would the eagle supporters want in return
We would probably want more than the Neale deal last year but would realise that as he is uncontracted we would get less

We certainly wouldn't be in the Media saying things such as can't see a deal be done like your coach and highly unlikely to sending out media statements shopping him around to other clubs

on the 5/10/2019 why is he and his family still in Geelong if being close to family was important, and essentials etc
If you knew anything about Autism, you would know routine and limiting change is important. Maybe they are waiting until their future destination is set in stone before they uproot their family?

Maybe they want time to find a house and make one move once they know who TKis playing for and what their income will be?

Q. If keely was a Victorian and asked to be traded to carlton what would the eagle supporters want in return
Realistically I would think he was worth a first and second rounder and I would be content with that. People are talking about a single pick for Gaff for comparison

Judd got more but he was arguably the biggest player of the game at the time.

IMO the draft itself is fine the way it currently works. Maybe not fine but manageable.

What completely fu**s it up is all the s**t the AFL have heaped on top of it with this completely ******* ridiculous "Restricted free agent/free agent/compensation pick to keep everyone happy" system over the top of it.

There should be no such thing as a "Restricted free agent". You finish your contract, you're free to sign with whoever you want.

There should be no such thing as a "compensation pick". You lose a player, the compensation is salary cap space.

There should be no minimum salary cap spend. All senior players on an AFL list should be guaranteed X salary (lets say $150k, $100k rookies). Once that is met the clubs should be free to spend the rest of the salary cap however they want.

The system is ******* at the moment because player movements are frozen behind stupid barriers. If the AFL wanted equality then MORE player movement creates a MORE equal system.

Let's use the Tim Kelly situation; Geelong clearly don't want to lose him because at the moment there's no way to replace him. Draft picks are ok but you're looking at a 3-5 years investment generally before they come good in the AFL system.

If there was a Free Agent market, at the end of last season Geelong could think to themselves "Ok, so we'll trade Tim to the Eagles for (picks whatever) yeah it sucks to lose him but next season players X,Y,Z are free agents and we can go to the draft AND look at bringing in someone to replace him.

Or this season Tim could go to the Eagles as a Free Agent and Geelong would be able to look at the pool of other Free Agents and get a replacement (maybe not like for like but someone else?) or reinforce other positions.

God i hate our system.
That system who see the vic teams poaching players off the interstate teams making them stronger.

Pretty much what we have now without compo to the weak teams

Of course it's nothing new, but my point is that Geelong fabricated the idea of Freo having a shot at changing his mind and it's caught on everywhere. As an example for this season, it would only hypothetically happen with Daniher if Sydney had finished higher than GWS this season & Essendon brought up the idea of a bidding war between Sydney & GWS to get maximum value, but most likely not many clubs would even consider doing something like that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back