List Mgmt. The Kelly and All Draft and Trades Discussion Thread- #freetim #ITSHAPPENING

What will we pay for Kelly?

• 2019 1st, future 2020 1st and 2nd for Kelly and their 2020 2nd

Votes: 41 19.4%
  • 2019 1st and future 2020 1st

Votes: 99 46.9%
  • 2019 1st plus a player e.g. Petrucelle, Brander

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • 4th rounder and Kurt Mutimer

Votes: 35 16.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be good if we got Zurhaar.
Not sure we could get it done though.

TK straight swap for Zurhaar.

On TK I expect this trade to drag out.

GFC will hold off doing a deal until B Hill move is finalised. Then pressure placed on TK to go to Freo so the GFC can get pick 6 or 7 (or whatever it ends up being) and something else. The line will be 'you got your wish back to WA, we are the good guys!'

Would be good if we got Zurhaar.
Not sure we could get it done though.

Highly doubt it myself. He's one of the few shining lights and a very popular player for North, they've put a lot of work into him :north:

After Geelong gut us for Kelly we're not going to have enough currency to satisfy a trade surely. At best we'll still have 33 but that's unders IMO.

Acres on the other hand is a different story. I'd do 33 for Acres. Cockburn are linked to him though apparently. 33 for SPP i'd also do but Essendon are linked.

Going to be interesting. I wish Vardy, Duggan, Cole or Nelson would put their hands up so we could get some more picks.

I feel that supporters of both clubs need to take a chill pill and wait for the two clubs to sort this out in due course.

Tim Kelly is indisputably a very good player and instantly makes us a better side so it’s only natural that Geelong will want to maximise their trade return. Conversely West Coast will want to minimise the price they pay - a low initial offer is not an indication that they don’t rate Kelly but just a normal negotiating strategy. They’ll know what price they’re willing to pay before walking away but won’t open with that just as Geelong will ask for more initially than they’re prepared to trade him for

Despite a deal not being struck last year there was no animosity between the clubs and that appears to still be the case. They are both well run clubs and will keep it professional without the tantrum throwing that supporters carry on with. As much as we can be disappointed Geelong didn’t trade Kelly last year they were within their rights to retain him and the year he had in 2019 justified that position

Both clubs will have prepared for this trade as they will have, if not expected it outright, known it was a possibility. I won’t be done on day one or even during the first week but I think a deal will eventually be agreed upon. West coast supporters will complain we gave away too much, Geelong supporters will be unhappy with what they get but Kelly will be in the wings and both clubs will move on. I doubt sections of each supporter base will and the name calling will continue on unabated

And nothing we say here or elsewhere will make a jot of difference

Save I think it might occur quickly to get it out of the way, agree with your post.

Highly doubt it myself. He's one of the few shining lights and a very popular player for North, they've put a lot of work into him :north:

After Geelong gut us for Kelly we're not going to have enough currency to satisfy a trade surely. At best we'll still have 33 but that's unders IMO.

Acres on the other hand is a different story. I'd do 33 for Acres. Cockburn are linked to him though apparently. 33 for SPP i'd also do but Essendon are linked.

Going to be interesting. I wish Vardy, Duggan, Cole or Nelson would put their hands up so we could get some more picks.
I'd be happy if those lads just hit their straps for us next year.

TK straight swap for Zurhaar.

On TK I expect this trade to drag out.

GFC will hold off doing a deal until B Hill move is finalised. Then pressure placed on TK to go to Freo so the GFC can get pick 6 or 7 (or whatever it ends up being) and something else. The line will be 'you got your wish back to WA, we are the good guys!'
Why spend 6 and 7 if you are Freo?

and the judd transaction netted you?
a decent return
At the time this trade was done Kennedy was a promising player that Carlton were playing out of position (ruck I believe) and it wasn't until he came to WCE & was played forward that Kennedy's true worth was realised. Yes it worked out to be a good trade in hindsight but at the time was no guarantee.

I'd be happy if those lads just hit their straps for us next year.

Yeah mate hopefully.

3 of them are back flankers though, that's the problem. We only play 1. So there's surplus. Stoked Nelson showed he can hold his own at AFL level though.

Fair to say Vardy, Cole and to a lesser extent Duggan all had poor seasons, so there's upside in 2020.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steven Wells on Jack Stevens:

"If it turned out he came to Geelong, we'd be going in eyes wide open and understanding what that would mean to Jack and what we could expect if Jack did come to Geelong," Wells told Telstra AFL Trade Radio.

"But I think that one has now become a long way off.

"St Kilda, where he's contracted, of course, are a good club and if he ends up playing there, I'm sure they'll be doing everything, like we would, to help Jack get back to being the best footballer he can be and happy in his life."

Translation: “St Kilda haven’t agreed to the reaming we offered, so he can suffer up in Melbourne”

I just don’t get why they’d deal out pick 11 to us at all.

It’s not sounding likely that a bid will come for Maginness before that pick. At the moment they’ve also got picks 30 and 51. Those picks alone allow them to match any bid from pick 15 and beyond. Meaning if they hold 11, they’re a damn good chance of getting the 11th best kid in this draft and Maginness. Why throw that away to get some points they’re unlikely to need?

If things change in the leadup to the draft and it looks like he’s going to bolt into the top ten, there’s plenty of scope now for pick swaps before, and even the day of, the draft. Which won’t help us because the time for a trade for Kelly will have passed, but it’s not Hawthorn’s job to help us.
Great point. I would imagine the hawks would be looking for more flexibility with their picks. So, potentially they do it if they felt by trading down during this period they could get a better deal now than on draft night. They then mighty be able to to take the selections they secure now and further enhance them on draft night. Does that make sense?

Contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on anymore. He won't go to the draft, and he doesn't want to go to Fremantle. Treloar (a similar elite mid) was uncontracted, and garnered 7 and a future 1st (14-18 for arguments sake re: Collingwood's conceived finishing position).
And pick 27 coming back. Also 3 years younger

So you're essentially only handing over Pick 20 and 22 from last year, without the extra 2nd rounder...a year after he becomes AA and finishes Top 5 in the Brownlow? Rates Kelly at 1711 DVI points on the academy scale. That's far, far less than last year, where the 3 second round picks we were offered = 2299 DVI points. So we're essentially only getting Pick 20 and 22 last year by that logic. And you believe this information? This is despite the fact that even Dangerfield netted Pick 9, 28 and a fringe player, and a less skilled (uncontracted) player in Treloar netted Pick 7 and a Future 1st with 27 coming back (14-18 for arguments sake instead of the 7 they ended up with).

I guarantee your club will be looked upon in a bad light if they pull that sort of move. You guys say all this stuff about us, but that would be an abject joke if you offered up that for a top shelf elite mid, who was AA, Top 5 in the Brownlow and 2 x Runner up B + F in his first 2 years. You'd be essentially viewed as using his autistic children to prise him away from the club that drafted him, without providing adequate compensation comparable with previous similar high-profile trades - Dangerfield, Neale, Treloar, Lever, Gibbs, Hogan, Shiel etc. Also looks like you're again playing with Kelly's future and not rating him, by playing games and offering significant unders. Won't look good if he ends up at Freo or has to take a chance on the draft, if you're not willing to deal fairly. We rate him as a Top 10 pick and a 1st and you guys rate him as a couple of 2nd rounders...don't think Kelly would take too kindly to that either.

Also, before you all pile in and say 'what about Jack Steven'...it's been heavily insinuated that we're not actually interested in him at all now, given risk/reward factor. I think there's too many issues there. I hope he stays with St Kilda, as it's best for all.
Ha ha your as triggered as a vegan in the meat isle !

I’m not sure why CEY was targeted by Brisbane. Their issue wasn’t contested ball.

They are after big-bodied depth in order to last out the season without burning out their developing stars.

Once M.Robinson went down they lacked stoppage physicality and Ellis-Yolmen for the loss of no picks will at minimum provide handy backup in that regard.

Plus adding a bull like him into the contest allows for a more technically gifted player to be moved across into the position vacated by Hodge - C.Ah Chee.

Contracts aren't worth the paper they're written on anymore. He won't go to the draft, and he doesn't want to go to Fremantle. Treloar (a similar elite mid) was uncontracted, and garnered 7 and a future 1st (14-18 for arguments sake re: Collingwood's conceived finishing position).

The contract allowed you to keep Kelly for another season and not accept a deal for him. This year if you don't accept a trade for him you get nothing if Freo also plays hard ball.

That's what it boils down to.

Losing him for nothing would be further detrimental given your team is rapidly approaching a rebuild and what you get for Kelly would help speed that up.

Like it or not, Geelong will get unders for him

With a 2nd coming back with treloar !

Yeah mate hopefully.

3 of them are back flankers though, that's the problem. We only play 1. So there's surplus. Stoked Nelson showed he can hold his own at AFL level though.

Fair to say Vardy, Cole and to a lesser extent Duggan all had poor seasons, so there's upside in 2020.
Can't have too many back flankers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back