Mega Thread The Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a listen to this idiot will you.

Have a listen to this idiot will you.

He is a complete tool and then this morning on 6pr they seemed to get the deputy editor on as he didn't want to face the music again and she repeated the same crap he sprouted. The worst thing is that the Rioli story was not even any new news, it was a fluff poll that they did that proved nothing. Imagine if Nic Nat ever won a Brownlow, there would be the front cover and the first 10 pages dedicated to it.

He is a complete tool and then this morning on 6pr they seemed to get the deputy editor on as he didn't want to face the music again and she repeated the same crap he sprouted. The worst thing is that the Rioli story was not even any new news, it was a fluff poll that they did that proved nothing. Imagine if Nic Nat ever won a Brownlow, there would be the front cover and the first 10 pages dedicated to it.
Nic Nat wins a Brownlow and World War 3 starts, which one gets the front cover?

Tell you what
I'm a little disappointed the narrative around the Brownlow has focussed on everything but Nat Fyfe and his amazing year and the prestige and feat of becoming a 2 time winner
All I have heard from most media is debates about how its become a midfielders medal, about how a player can get so many votes in a losing game, about how many votes he got etc..
weak as piss

The Giant with a heart of gold
Giants player Matt de Boer visits patient Luke Nikolic, 4, in the Starlight Room at Westmead Children's Hospital. Picture: David Swift.Giants player Matt de Boer visits patient Luke Nikolic, 4, in the Starlight Room at Westmead Children's Hospital. Picture: David Swift.
  • WILL SWANTON
    SPORT REPORTER
    @WillSwanton
    c12127e6a3e3aedd1a19033329a2993d
  • 12:00AM SEPTEMBER 25, 2019
  • 4 COMMENTS
Matt de Boer was a Fremantle Docker when he first walked into the Starlight Express Room at the Princess Margaret Hospital in Perth. He ventured deeper into the flesh-and-blood demonstrations of sorrow and resilience you get in arenas like that, knocking on the door of the ward for children too seriously ill to be in the Starlight room. It was harrowing and confronting. The cruel truth was this: some of those kids would be tagged out too soon.
De Boer’s visits were no token missions. He cared. They made such an impression that when he moved to Sydney in 2017 after being delisted by the Dockers and picked up by Greater Western Sydney, he joined the advisory board of the NSW arm of the Starlight Children’s Foundation. His foe in their much-hyped showdown in Saturday’s AFL grand final, Dustin Martin, would appear to be a footballer through-and-through, and good on him for that, but de Boer would seem a different beast.
He graduated from the University of Western Australia with a commerce degree. He’s a program manager for the WESTSTAR Football Academy for young athletes in Western Australia. He’s a co-founder of Alerte Digital Sport, a technological start-up company using artificial intelligence and data analytics to research and prevent sports injuries. Come Saturday, however, he’d be smart enough to know his real job: to annoy the hell out of Martin. Again.
He tagged the Tigers superstar to the point of absolute distraction in round three. He was so effective that Martin lost the plot, getting suspended for striking Adam Kennedy off the ball, fined for flipping the bird at Giants supporters, and making snorting gestures at Shane Mumford in reference to the ruckman’s cocaine drama.
Replay the 2019 Toyota AFL Grand Final in full on KAYO SPORTS. Get your 14 day free trial and start streaming instantly >
De Boer had given a supreme demonstration of the dark art of tagging. The art of pestering. The art of getting under an opponent’s skin. The art of being a stoppage beast. Of non-stop, lung-busting running. Of stalking his man. Of being fierce in every contest. Of getting in his ear. In his face. The dark and crucial art of being as annoying, distracting and defensive as humanly possible. Of winning a most important battle, the psychological one.
“I think AFL players have an obligation to give back, you know?” he said. “I had a relationship with Starlight Foundation from my days in Western Australia and with the Dockers. Coming here to Sydney, I wanted to continue to have input. I do some ward visits. I try to spread the AFL word when I’m in there, too! I take in some Giants posters.
“The kids just light up when you walk into the room. It really is amazing. I wanted to have as much an impact as I could, so I asked if I could join the advisory board. I get to work with a great team there. Just try to brighten the lives of seriously ill children.”
De Boer added: “I’ve always been healthy. Those visits would make anyone feel gratitude for having their health. The effect is quite profound on me and of course, it gives you a bit of perspective on life. Football is important, it’s definitely important, but there are some terrible things going on in the world so if you can brighten up the people affected by a serious hardship, like those kids, I’ll keep doing whatever I can to play to help. The kids are so brave. They don’t know how brave they are; a lot of them, if they’ve been sick for a while, don’t know any other way of life. The families, too, they need help in lightening the load. It’s a powerful experience. I’ve had a few people follow my journey.”
Martin, in a different manner, of course, loomed as a confronting sight on Saturday.
“I’ll talk to (Giants coach) Leon (Cameron) and we’ll put a bit of a plan in place,” de Boer said.
“Dusty goes forward a fair bit. We’ll just have to wait and see. We’ve got a few midfielders they’ll have to deal with, which is great.”
Asked about the dark art and match day routine, de Boer replied: “I like to go out on the ground pre-game, when it’s all quiet and no one is there. I do a bit of a run around and get used to the oval and the surroundings. When I walk out when it’s roaring and they’re booing us, I try to take a mental picture for the memory bank, and savour the moment a little bit, because it really is quite special and enjoyable. But as soon as the ball bounces, I’m all about action and playing my role.”
Martin was limited to a mere 15 touches while de Boer drove him stark raving mad in round three.
He locked down the Bulldogs’ Marcus Bontempelli, Brisbane’s Lachie Neale and Collingwood’s Scott Pendlebury in the Giants’ surge through three tough finals.
“You have team structures and systems that you can’t let anything disturb,” he said. “You filter out all the external noise, although it’s hard to communicate with your teammates in games like the one we have coming up. That’s a bit different but when we know our game plan so, when it’s all action-based, it’s still going to work out well. I try to put a plan in place and then stick to that no matter what.
“You review games and look for any tendencies and cues and those sorts of things. It’s all about the impact I can have for the team if I play my role. It’s about not compromising our team dynamics in any way. It’s an interesting role. People probably see it as a bit unique. I just park my ego and try to serve the team. That’s the job I have.”

Nat Fyfe’s Brownlow windfall
Fremantle’s Nat Fyfe shows off his second Brownlow Medal in MelbourneFremantle’s Nat Fyfe shows off his second Brownlow Medal in Melbourne
  • By JON RALPH
  • 12:00AM SEPTEMBER 25, 2019
  • 1 COMMENT
Nat Fyfe’s second Brownlow Medal and rock-star disposition will see him cashing in with an immediate financial windfall of up to $200,000.
And Fyfe’s status as one of just 19 players to win multiple Brownlow medals will turbocharge his future earnings as one of the most marketable stars in the game.
The savvy Fyfe, who thanked his series of sponsors post-ceremony, has several Brownlow bonuses in those endorsement contracts. When he won his first Brownlow Medal he had a bonus in his contract, but as a star and captain on a more lucrative current deal that wage is most likely guaranteed.
Fyfe is the face of Adidas in Australia and also has partnerships with Seven West, Lexus and Crown. When those bonuses and a merchandise/memorabilia deal for the 2019 Brownlow Medal are factored in, a player already earning $1m a year could boost his salary by more than $150,000.
Fyfe is smart enough to realise he can play off his sex appeal by posing topless during interviews while also appealing to the corporate sector as a senior AFL leader.
His manager Jason Dover said Fyfe had worked hard on his leadership and corporate appeal.
“I am a bit biased but I am proud of the way he handles himself and how he speaks in terms of himself. It’s a strong brand that he has built,” Dover said.
Replay the 2019 Toyota AFL Grand Final in full on KAYO SPORTS. Get your 14 day free trial and start streaming instantly >
“It gives him real potential not just for footy but for life after footy and everything else.”
Fyfe is completing an MBA and is also involved as a director and in business development of Otis Sunglasses and surf leisure brand Creatures of Leisure.
“He is open to new opportunities but also calculated,” Dover said.
“He has got big partners who he has strong relationships with rather than a lot of little ones.”
As a dual Brownlow Medallist, Fyfe will have strong appeal to the corporate sector and in speaking engagements for decades to come.
But few football stars have been so in touch with the business side of their brand.
Meanwhile, Fyfe has revealed axed Dockers coach Ross Lyon showed his softer side by shedding tears following the Brownlow win.
Fyfe and Lyon formed a tight bond during their eight seasons together at Fremantle.
“He was the first person I rang after I did the press conference,” Fyfe said. “He said he doesn’t often cry, but he shed a couple of tears.
“He’s been a big part of my career. He played an important role in getting me to where I am today.”

What a rag tag piece of garbage the West Australian is.A totally biased rag, that under no circumstances will write anything positive about the Fremantle Football club.
I am thinking of writing to the Editor, who is like the rag tag rag he represents.to suggest that they begin to print the POS on Yella paper with Blue print.And then refer to it as the WCs rag.
Still amazes me that people buy it.

Last edited:
What a rag tag piece of garbage the West Australian is.A totally biased rag, that under no circumstances will write anything positive about the Fremantle Football club.
I am thinking of writing to the Editor, who is like the rag tag rag he represents.to suggest that they begin to print the POS on Yella paper with Blue print.And then refer to it as the WCs rag.
Still amazes me that people but it.
I would not bother writing to the editor as they are all Kerry Stokes ( 7 West Media) muppets, he says jump and they say how high.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some letters to the editor this morning.
Hahaha check out the toss pot whingeing that Shannon Hurn was robbed at the Brownlow. And old mate from safety bay saying Fyfe is a mediocre player...

Maybe ASADA should start testing West Coast fans for brain cells.

Hahaha check out the toss pot whingeing that Shannon Hurn was robbed at the Brownlow. And old mate from safety bay saying Fyfe is a mediocre player...

Maybe ASADA should start testing West Coast fans for brain cells.

I think you missed his point, if you read the whole letter he was being critical of the west and their bias to the eagles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back