The Melbourne City Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

While we don't deserve a point, that's football. It's swings and roundabouts. They can have a sook and move on and Berisha will be on the end of another BS pen before too long.

As for the game: frustrating and exhilarating at the same time. Fornaroli is just something else. Imagine our season without him? I shudder to think. Wilkinson was good I thought and there's certainly more of a calmness with him there. I still think Mooy is off the boil. He was lethal in set pieces in the first third of the season and now he is giving us maybe 20% dangerous service.

Plenty still to work on. I hope we get through this flat patch.

Like last week?

Looks like it did come around :thumbsu:

Don't know what happen last week all l'm saying is you might not be so lucky next time or you'll be on the end of a pathetic referring decision that just might cost you team the match.

I'm sure you won't be laughing then.

Last edited:

While we don't deserve a point, that's football. It's swings and roundabouts. They can have a sook and move on and Berisha will be on the end of another BS pen before too long.

As for the game: frustrating and exhilarating at the same time. Fornaroli is just something else. Imagine our season without him? I shudder to think. Wilkinson was good I thought and there's certainly more of a calmness with him there. I still think Mooy is off the boil. He was lethal in set pieces in the first third of the season and now he is giving us maybe 20% dangerous service.

Plenty still to work on. I hope we get through this flat patch.
Melling comes straight back in after his suspension

The 3-5-2/5-3-2 is flawed still imo, there's no protection defensively with that formation as our centre backs such as Kisnorbo and Hughes are too old and slow to cover left back and right back in it and the general awareness defensively is poor, only top flight teams in Italy and say a Tottenham are good enough to use that type of formation at the moment because of their athleticism or football intelligence.

Van Gaal and Rodgers tried 3-5-2/5-3-2 last year and it didn't work well for them because their players aren't good enough for that system. At Tottenham everyone works hard and our full backs are fast/fit enough to cover in it while Dier drops back to defend.

If Van't Schip still thinks Mooy as the trequartista and two upfront works then he should play a narrow 4-4-2 diamond or a 4-3-1-2, that way there will be midfield protection for the defence. Second worst defence in the league still.

Don't know what happen last week all l'm saying is you might not be so lucky next time or you'll be on the end of a pathetic referring decision that just might cost you team the match.

I'm sure you won't be laughing then.
We were on the rough end of questionable refereeing last week

May not of been you, but we copped a lot of shit from your lot last week on social media. Swings and roundabouts etc. It bit you guys on the bum last night imo.

Pretty ordinary performance all-up and very lucky to come away with a point, but encouraging how the boys dug in after Finkler's goal wasn't paid and especially after Caceres was sent off. Showed a lot more ticker over that period than they did for the entire Jets game and for about 95% of the Wanderers game. Good of the Victory idiots to probably dock their team a few points...that's just what the team would have wanted in such a cut-throat race: to get screwed by their own 'supporters'.

I think people are premature to be writing the team off. There's no equivalent to MV's team from last year, so far. I don't really trust any of the teams in the comp to go on a massive winning run in the remaining games, so I think it will go down to the wire. Take care of business against the Mariners and we could be only 3-4 points off top spot.

Pretty ordinary performance all-up and very lucky to come away with a point, but encouraging how the boys dug in after Finkler's goal wasn't paid and especially after Caceres was sent off. Showed a lot more ticker over that period than they did for the entire Jets game and for about 95% of the Wanderers game. Good of the Victory idiots to probably dock their team a few points...that's just what the team would have wanted in such a cut-throat race: to get screwed by their own 'supporters'.

I think people are premature to be writing the team off. There's no equivalent to MV's team from last year, so far. I don't really trust any of the teams in the comp to go on a massive winning run in the remaining games, so I think it will go down to the wire. Take care of business against the Mariners and we could be only 3-4 points off top spot.
Are we playing in a manner you think is capable of winning silverware? Or can you see the scope for improvement necessary?

Need to get back to a 4-3-3. Garruccio isn't a LB, why can't we stick him on a wing ffs?

Sorenson
Franjic - Kisnorbo - Wilkinson - Zullo
Malik - Melling
Mooy
Garruccio - Fornaroli - Novillo​

Are we playing in a manner you think is capable of winning silverware? Or can you see the scope for improvement necessary?

I think we're up-and-down, like every other team, besides the ones that are just plain crap. I think that if we can stop getting red cards and injuries, we're the most talented team in the competition. And I think that we have a relatively easy run home.

Sydney and Victory have almost twice as many games as the top four during the remaining h&a fixtures, with mid-week Asian Champions games. And in the eight remaining weeks of the league fixture, Brisbane plays five of the top six (with away trips to Adelaide, Victory and City), Wanderers play four of the top six (with away trips to Brisbane and Victory) and Adelaide plays six games against the top six (away trips to Victory, City, Wanderers and Sydney).

We play four of the top six, with only one of those being away (Adelaide). Unless we pretty much run the table over the remaining games, it's going to be tough to finish top, but I think we're as good a chance of winning the grand final as anyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, if the accusations are true, good riddance. Do not want someone like that at any club I support, no matter how talented/good they are. Does leave a hole however.

Well, if the accusations are true, good riddance. Do not want someone like that at any club I support, no matter how talented/good they are. Does leave a hole however.

Have heard it was only verbal, police haven't laid charges either.

Will wait for more info. Club have certainly gone hard at him.

Have heard it was only verbal, police haven't laid charges either.

Will wait for more info. Club have certainly gone hard at him.
I'll wait and see whether the Police charge him but I think it's the right thing to do.

Third time police have been called to investigate incidents involving him and his partner. The club should go very hard...

Haven't heard of any other time. We'll find out soon enough I suppose.

With our shift away from 3-5-2 and the notable absence of Harry Novillo, I went with 4-2-3-1 for this week.
R20 MCY v CCM.png
SUBS: (2 to be omitted)
  • Jason Trifiro
  • Wade Dekker
  • Ben Garuccio
  • Dean Bouzanis
  • Steve Kuzmanovski
  • Ali Eyigun
  • Paulo Retre
INS:
  • Jacob Melling (returns from suspension)
  • Steve Kuzmanovski (promoted)
OUTS:
  • Harry Novillo (omitted, pending investigation)
  • Anthony Caceres (suspended... again)
No new injuries this week.
Chapman is listed as 1 - 2 weeks, hopefully he'll be right to go for our home game against Sydney.
Hughes is not listed as unavailable and is not selected.

Last edited:
That's a dumb side for a few reasons:

1. Zullo and Franjic are at their best out wide, not playing CM.
2. You're playing Malik as a CB when he's better as a CM, playing Wilkinson as a RB when he's a CB.
3. Melling playing out wide makes no sense.

I'd be going with:

Sorenson
Franjic - Wilkinson - Kisnorbo - Zullo
Malik - Melling
Mooy
Fitzgerald - Fornaroli - Garruccio​

Remove this Banner Ad

The Melbourne City Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back