The Melbourne City Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Game against Brisbane this Friday could potentially be one of the biggest in our history.
Win and we're guaranteed 2nd spot.

Not so sure about that, your goal difference will be handy though.
You'd have to say that both Brisbane and WSW would be favoured to win their last 3 games.
Speaking purely this week

Exactly! I'm desperate for champions league football so we must win.
I don't really care about that, but A-League teams tend to struggle during ACL in the league.

We would/do have an unrivalled squad depth though.

It looks pretty good at the moment, with players like Hughes and Chapman on the comeback. If you have a few injuries though, any A-League squad's depth will be tested. If you're still mid-table by the time the ACL kicks off, those mid-week games will kill your A-League campaign.

I'm just happy to be in a position where we can consider the prospect of playing ACL next year and see how we go.

Game against Brisbane this Friday could potentially be one of the biggest in our history.
Last season's win v Wellington final, surely #1 so far.
But, if we were to beat Roar, what a setup for our top 2 chances.

Last season's win v Wellington final, surely #1 so far.
But, if we were to beat Roar, what a setup for our top 2 chances.

That's our biggest win as a club, but I wouldn't say it's our biggest game. Given the way we staggered into the finals last year, combined with the fact that it wasn't even in Australia, let alone Melbourne (and it was on the day of the long-awaited Mayweather/Pacquiao fight...it started shortly after the fight finished, if I remember correctly), I think most of our supporters were pretty underwhelmed going in. The derby semi-final, where we got smashed, was a much bigger game; it was just an ordinary result.

Hopefully we have 2-3 games (and at home for a change) left in this season, that are much bigger than anything that we've ever played in. Chance to go top of the league, chance to secure a spot in the ACL next year, chance to win the league, first home final etc. I don't think we'll get a huge crowd on Friday, but if we keep winning, I'd be hoping to push 12,000 against Wellington, which would be a tremendous improvement. Then, if we're playing for top spot in the final round against Adelaide, who knows? Could we get 20,000? 25,000?

That's our biggest win as a club, but I wouldn't say it's our biggest game. Given the way we staggered into the finals last year, combined with the fact that it wasn't even in Australia, let alone Melbourne (and it was on the day of the long-awaited Mayweather/Pacquiao fight...it started shortly after the fight finished, if I remember correctly), I think most of our supporters were pretty underwhelmed going in. The derby semi-final, where we got smashed, was a much bigger game; it was just an ordinary result.

Hopefully we have 2-3 games (and at home for a change) left in this season, that are much bigger than anything that we've ever played in. Chance to go top of the league, chance to secure a spot in the ACL next year, chance to win the league, first home final etc. I don't think we'll get a huge crowd on Friday, but if we keep winning, I'd be hoping to push 12,000 against Wellington, which would be a tremendous improvement. Then, if we're playing for top spot in the final round against Adelaide, who knows? Could we get 20,000? 25,000?
Easter Monday straight after our Hawks game, could be a few wandering over for a peep. I'd be disappointed with < 12000.
Agree regarding ACL etc.
That game last year certainly helped JVS and gave the team some impetus for this season, no doubt. The fact they could travel to Wellington and win against the odds, emphatically, was talked about off season and also showcased Novillo's sublime skills.
Anyway, it's all positive stuff for City, what we are achieving, where we've come from, and who we are attracting to our team.
Now for some increase in membership...

My first A-league game in a couple of seasons will be that Monday game against Wellington. With a bit of luck there will be a top 2 spot to play for and a strong crowd

Easter Monday straight after our Hawks game, could be a few wandering over for a peep. I'd be disappointed with < 12000.
Agree regarding ACL etc.
That game last year certainly helped JVS and gave the team some impetus for this season, no doubt. The fact they could travel to Wellington and win against the odds, emphatically, was talked about off season and also showcased Novillo's sublime skills.
Anyway, it's all positive stuff for City, what we are achieving, where we've come from, and who we are attracting to our team.
Now for some increase in membership...

Baby steps, I reckon, re: 12,000. That's almost double what we probably would have got for a NZ game a year or two ago and Easter Monday is a bit of a gamble...who knows what will happen? But I think if we have good results against Brisbane, Wellington and Perth and we have a chance to go top of the table, that following Friday against Adelaide is when the bandwagon will kick into overdrive.

A strong finals campaign and maybe a home grand final and/or some silverware and the membership tally will get a massive boost next year. I've always said that to get the attendances/members up, we need to win consistently and be better than Victory consistently. So far this season, it looks like we're on the right track to achieve that, the occasional lapses (e.g. Wellington away, Newcastle x 2) notwithstanding.

We have to attract new people to the A-League and to Melbourne City. It's a tough sell when Victory is racking up the trophies and packing out Etihad, while we're with the also-rans and playing in front of 6-8k. But if we're winning trophies, it makes a lot more sense for people to latch on. Everyone loves a winner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harry is crucial. Trying to man up on Mooy, Bruno AND Harry is near impossible, and frees up the likes of Fitzgerald and Caceres.
And Wilkinson is the other key. Our defence is now enviable.
Excellent month this March 2016.

Love watching MC play, not many players that are easy to hate, likeable coach and play great attacking football.
Wouldn't be surprised if you take out the double.

Long way from the Aloisi days, even with the cash input hasn't been an overnight job.

Props to the board for sticking with JVS when people like me were calling for his head. Happily wiping egg from face :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

The Melbourne City Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back