Mega Thread The OFFICIAL 2011 Trade Targets MEGATHREAD PART 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
HJ wasn't trolling. The trade was a major win/win for both sides. You guys lost a player that wasn't in your 22 and received 2 very good prospects in Harper and Mabon.

We not only received Hale but Cheney and Puopolo as well, which is what was being eluded to.

Sorry for the intrusion but just thought I'd explain what HJ was saying...

Shut up and stop railroading our draft thread with 12 month old rubbish.

If H wants to stay, he stays and we find a spot for him in our 22.

If H wants to go, he goes.

Nothing more important to me than building a culture which doesn't involve shipping off our gun, loyal old-heads for a shot at a youngster - reeks of Melbourne.

Ya know I think that's what I find strange. H will be ruck option two at North and IF he's happy with that I'm not sure I want him there anymore.

He's meant to be an elite sportsman, striving to be the best and if he's happy with second...

HJ wasn't trolling. The trade was a major win/win for both sides. You guys lost a player that wasn't in your 22 and received 2 very good prospects in Harper and Mabon.

We not only received Hale but Cheney and Puopolo as well, which is what was being eluded to.

Sorry for the intrusion but just thought I'd explain what HJ was saying...

All the best but Hale and Cheney are VFL players.

I am still in shock that Moti seriously suggested Mark Blake could be recruited to offset the potential loss of McIntosh.

What the f*** are you on?

Flog.

Obviously reading was an optional course for you. You want a ruck backup, he has been to the big dance and can at least compete over a season if needed, which is hopefully never.

The payoff is a star midfielder in the making. There are few people who have the foresight to think one step ahead and YOTR, I am surprised you have the capacity to breath. These deals will be common place in five years time, I would like to think BON might be ahead of the curve.

Obviously reading was an optional course for you. You want a ruck backup, he has been to the big dance and can at least compete over a season if needed, which is hopefully never.

The payoff is a star midfielder in the making. There are few people who have the foresight to think one step ahead and YOTR, I am surprised you have the capacity to breath. These deals will be common place in five years time, I would like to think BON might be ahead of the curve.
Aaron Keating has been to the big dance too. Might be worth a look?

I think whatever respect Moti gets around these parts has to do with the length of time he's been a member. :)

Don't really seek nor care for respect on here, just want to talk a little footy. I won't be happy until the All-Aus squad is made up of 22 NM players, that has always been my approach. U want guarantees, footy isnt the game. There is no doubt there is risk with this scenario, but all good things carry risk. But Hamish has never and will never be an All Aus ruck man, so for me he is fair game.

I admire the loyalty to our players but anyone who thinks we wouldn't trade hamish for that first pick in the mini-draft is bonkers. I wouldn't trade h for just anything but this kid is supposed to be equivalent to the number one pick. There is nothing to consider.

At the same time it'll never get done. 27yo rucks with injury concerns don't get you first pick in the draft.

People seem to forget that Goldy and Hamish are completely different players. Goldy is a tap expert, but around the ground not nearly as damaging as Hamish.
Goldy kick's as many goals as McIntosh ever has. Have you been watching North Melbourne? :confused:

The idea is to have multiple variations. I wouldn't trade McIntosh/Goldy for whoever came on the market.

Don't really seek nor care for respect on here, just want to talk a little footy. I won't be happy until the All-Aus squad is made up of 22 NM players, that has always been my approach. U want guarantees, footy isnt the game. There is no doubt there is risk with this scenario, but all good things carry risk. But Hamish has never and will never be an All Aus ruck man, so for me he is fair game.

McIntosh came to the club as a forward, and has looked good as a forward. The only issue I have with what you've said in regards to his almost AA Ruck status is he be played as a forward. If/when he needs to help Goldy out, fair enough but I think given the opportunity to be kept in one possie and one he knows, he'll cause some damage.

Goldy's ratio is as good as McIntosh, but it'd be nice to give H a year up forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McIntosh came to the club as a forward, and has looked good as a forward. The only issue I have with what you've said in regards to his almost AA Ruck status is he be played as a forward. If/when he needs to help Goldy out, fair enough but I think given the opportunity to be kept in one possie and one he knows, he'll cause some damage.

Goldy's ratio is as good as McIntosh, but it'd be nice to give H a year up forward.

People thinking McIntosh will sit in the forward line, when not rucking are living in a pipedream imho.

If Goldstein and McIntosh play the majority of next season together, I'd expect for the most part, they will be rotating off the bench, with small stints in the forward line.

McIntosh permanently in the forward line would destroy our structure to no end...... if by that, the only reason he is in the side is, "being in the best 22 players on the list", I'd prefer if he wasn't in the side at all, and was retained as backup for Goldstein.

Harsh, maybe, the modern game is pretty much won and lost in contested football and forward structures, both in its offensive and defensive mechanisms

A top heavy, immobile forward line is not only detrimental to the sides scoring capabilities (Especially with a spearhead like Petrie already in the F50), but hinders it's defensive capabilities.

It's so important to have a forward line structured properly, in that it is agile and quick enough to defend the oppositions drive and rebound from half back.

I think this theory was vindicated by Brad Scott himself, despite Hamish' fitness issues, Scott waited for a dead rubber to test the pairing, fearing a backfire in the do or die games at the end of the season.

Despite what I've heard him say in regards to building a NN/Cox type duo, I suspect he is only really saying it because he has the ability to test it out in 2 months worth of NAB Cup/Practice matches first.......

McIntosh permanently in the forward line would destroy our structure to no end...... .

What structure would that be, Petries Paddock?

Every other forward plays predominately high up the ground, and attempts to double back in to space a la the Malthouse press. We surrender the initial forward advantage in order to then roll numbers in behind the opposition defence and press the ball inside 50 again. IMO, we should be capitalising more on the initial entries.

We tried with LT playing deep in tandem with Petrie, but that mostly failed and he showed more when he got up the ground.

Edwards, Hansen, Adams, Wright, Thomas, they all play high up the ground and roll back. Hansen definitely suffered from this structure.

We need another marking target parked inside 50.

Petrie doesn't kick enough goals with all the ball he demands.

In all the Gunston kerfuffle I forgot that Chris Knights also allegedly wanted out of Adelaide.

Would be interested in a look.

Showed alot of potential back in '72. He now has that "s" for a reason though.

Christopher-Knight-aka-Peter-Brady-the-brady-bunch-10995447-410-510.jpg

In all seriouslyness though, I'm certain we'd be exploring, evaluating, chatting with, every single available player. It'd be remiss of us not to.

I could go either way on McIntosh. I'd definately trade him if we could get a top 20 pick or a good young player, although I can see the value he could potentially offer the side.

I just hope we don't jump the gun and trade out any early picks in the next 2 or 3 years, we're still going to need a good crop of young players to ice the cake when Ziebell and co. become the senior group.

I am not fussed either way with HMAC. I am just going to back the club to do whatever they feel is best to take our group to the next level. I think you will find pros and cons under each argument lets just hope the guys we have in charge do what is best.

To steer the convo in another direction what is the latest news regarding Matty Campbell? Is he going to be with us next year? if not i understand the Hawks are keen any rumours on what they are willing to offer for him?

Despite what I've heard him say in regards to building a NN/Cox type duo, I suspect he is only really saying it because he has the ability to test it out in 2 months worth of NAB Cup/Practice matches first.......

You're probably right. No one knows how or if H and Goldy can survive in the same side.

However, given WE have them, I'd rather it be us that finds out, rather than some other team cashing in on McIntosh's abilities.

This so called "Leigh Brown" role didn't look to flash in the latter half of the year when the Anvil could barely get out of his own way.

And for anyone suggesting that we can just get a big spud like Mark Blake to lead us to the flag, you will note that Collingwood took in a severley hampered Darren Jolly on Saturday rather than entrust Cameron Wood with the role.

H playing forward - Bigfooty myth.
H provides link up - maybe 2 years ago, ruckmen are much more athletic and the game much quicker these days.
H is a good mark though, nothing special, but good.
H is a crap ruckman, seems to always be forgotten.

Would much rather have O'Meara than either of them, but there is only one way to get him. Blake can fill a hole if needed while Daw can do the rest leaving Petrie forward. No problem.

How many senior games has O'Meara played at AFL level?

Face it, we aren't getting O'Meara no matter how much you wish it.

He's going to Gold Coast or a WA club.

Geelong played with Ottens and West in the Grand Final along with Pods and Hawkins in the forwardline why can't we do the same with Goldy and H with Petrie + Hansen/Pedersen in the forwardline?

They can go in top heavy because they have: bartel, selwood, chapman, enright, Corey, mackie, varcoe, ling, Scarlett and Taylor who are all mobile and quick enough not to be exposed... Not to mention they have champions all over the park.

They are also disciplined and smart which compared to our boys who are neither I find the comparison nonsensical bordering on delusional.

Our defense is the biggest issue: spud, McMahon, Thompson are slow, undisciplined, prone to brain farts and getting beaten by *******s.

We are slow, not champions and not good enough to be as cumbersome.
Comparing us to Geelong is like comparing west ham with Barcelona.

People saying Majak is not up to being a second ruck option are insane - he is our only hope of breaching the gap between us and the top 4.

He gives us something we haven't had since the great man was strutting his stuff. Genuine star quality in the making.

We lose nothing but a good bloke by attempting to trade H. If we can get an O'meara then we are laughing. Hamish is not a great mark or a great ruckmen, he is weak through the core and gets pushed out of position too easily for a man of his size. Sure he has good skills but our ruck division without him is AA quality...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back