Prediction The Orange Premiership Window?

Remove this Banner Ad

Pardon the intrusion
Sorry I’ve got no comments on your premiership window, technically it should be in about a year or 2 when your average games gets up to 100-150 and average age will be around 27 I believe . But that means nothing if you lose key players to trades and injury.

Anyway I wanted to ask how you were feeling about Hogans inclusion ? Is he providing benefit?
Does he look like he puts in above average effort ?
Any off field indiscretions?

I believe the consensus here is that:

1. We were in a tough spot with Jezza’s departure.

2. Hogan is a legit KPF.

3. We were offered him at a bargain price.

4. He’s arrived with the right attitude.

5. He’s showing the right signs, but been stop-start with injury.

6. Shown enough to deserve the 2022 extension.

By the way, can you please courier Nathan Wilson to our hub?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I believe the consensus here is that:

1. We were in a tough spot with Jezza’s departure.

2. Hogan is a legit KPF.

3. We were offered him at a bargain price.

4. He’s arrived with the right attitude.

5. He’s showing the right signs, but been stop-start with injury.

6. Shown enough to deserve the 2022 extension.

By the way, can you please courier Nathan Wilson to our hub?

Spot on really about Hogan
You are getting at least the same if not more product from him than we did but we sold the farm and you paid peanuts .
Sorry you had your chance with Wilson , he’s very happy back in his Bogan Town and being given lease to run out of defence and unload 70 metre bombs ( which generally get bounced straight back to him thanks to our piss weak forward line 🙄)

I think that the impact of injuries has been greatly underestimated all the way back to 2017.
We have had a horrendous run every year!

Agreed re injuries.

Reportedly Matthews believed Campbell was responsible and that was a key reason he sacked him straight after the 2019 GF.

But has it clearly improved since?

Hard to tell in the post-virus environment.

I think we all assume ‘next year will be better re injuries’ and are disappointed accordingly each year.

Really getting over the Cogs bashing.

My post must have come out wrong.
I didn't see the 2nd half much against the Swans, I couldn't watch TBH.
But if Cogs makes a full recovery of form and status, we'll all be ecstatic.
I remember him in a Tassie game vs North, after half time, he kicked the clutch goal that effectively won the game.
You felt then that Cogs would lead us the best going forward, and I still hope he can and does.

Toby is different than that, he's the closest we have to a 'marquee' player, and they drag a team and a crowd along with them.

Last edited:
Really getting over the Cogs bashing.

I believe it’s reasonable to discuss the Captaincy transition given it was highly unusual, has been the focus of much press including Amazon, and that in coincided with a precipitous fall in both Cogs’ individual and team performance.

One possibility is that the Captaincy has had nothing to do with poor performance. I don’t rule that out.

The other possibility is that it was a contributing - as opposed to sole or primary factor. I tend to believe that but can’t prove it.

If it was a contributing factor who is responsible?

That’s surely the person who made the decision, and by all reports that’s the CEO.

Remember that at that time - between the GF loss and start of the 2020 season - Campbell has just been sacked and Leon was hanging on a contract extension so there was no one able to push back on the CEO.

You can make the case Leon could have intervened, but who challenges their boss on such an explosive issue as they’re awaiting a new contract?

In my opinion Cogs has been pushed under the bus by a CEO who should have known better.

That’s not Cogs bashing.

So I’ll chime in with an answer to my own question.

IMO, our Premiership window closed as the comp shut down after R1 2020 for the virus.

We really had an incredible 2020 pre-season and then R1 victory over the Cats, and we were a genuine chance for a Top 4 finish in 2020.

I think the break and hub were very poorly managed, and the fallout was player departures at end 2020 and some of what we saw on Amazon.

Today, I believe we have a Top 8 (no longer a Top 4) list.

I believe we are stuck in a ‘Bermuda (Blacktown?) Triangle’ with three corners.

The first is a CEO who is good with the business side. However, who is way too hands on with the football dept and apparently incapable of changing HC.

The second is a HC who everyone desperately wanted to lead us to a flag but who I believe is incapable of doing so with our Top 8 list, but who got us very close with a Top 4 list in 2019. Further, Leon must be accountable for not delivering the flag in the 2016-2020 window.

The third is a Captain under immense performance and media pressure. The best solution to this now is, IMO, for Cogs to ask TFG to join him as co-Captain for 2022. I see zero downside to that for the team, and it would halve the pressure on Cogs.

IMO, to break out of this we need a change to at least two corners of this triangle.

The HC coach corner is the most important one, and a positive change could drag us into the Top 4 in 2022.

I don’t expect our Premiership window to re-open until we escape the triangle.

Indeed it could get worse. If we lose Hopper and Kelly for 2022 I don’t believe we have a Top 8 list.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back