Competitions The Pieman 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

For all those who have Khamis in their side, just be aware that he has been named the WB sub (so you'll get a Pieman sub in his place unless you make a change.

If you do want a change make sure it's a NEW POST not an edit to your original post.

Khamis has been selected 13 times in Pieman teams for tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PIEMAN RESULTS RD 13 v BRISBANE

Xbox and Stringy OD on O'D

Ferret still not caught.

Disappointing loss to Brisbane.
It was always going to be a toss up how we'd deal with the lack of key forwards. A few people had speculated we could move James O'Donnell forward but of course he'd been all at sea in his early career games up forward. And anyway what thinking coach would take our most mobile tall defender and our best one from last week and move him forward when we had Daniher, Hipwood, Morris and perhaps even McInerney to deal with back there? I mean you wouldn't want Hipwood to have one of his Majak performances would you? Especially when we already had goalkicking options in the selected 23 with Marra, Lobb and Khamis.

Fortunately I did reduce O'Donnell's handicap from 55 last week to 45 this week on the remote chance that Bevo might just do something crazy like that. I should have cut harder!

Carryover Teams and Pieman Substitutes

There were 9 carryover teams and they needed 6 substitutes as follows:
  • cecil got 2x Macrae (0) for 2x Darcy
  • Charlie Bucket got 1x Macrae (0) for 1x Darcy
  • Northern Dogs got 1x Macrae (0) for 1x Darcy and 1x McNeil (0) for 1x Harmes
  • Snarls Barkley got 1x Macrae (0) for 1x Darcy
There were also 8 teams that had Khamis, so when he was announced as the WB sub they all received Macrae as the Pieman sub, and alas got nothing from him. They were:
  • 54Bulldog16 (2x)
  • Buckingham
  • Bulldog rick
  • Dannnnnnnnn (2x)
  • Floridog
  • manutd/dogs (2x)
  • ossie_21
  • Wocka
Most Popular Picks

After applying the above substitutes here were the most popular picks:

1717847496590.png

Late Selection Bonanza
As you can see from the posts higher up on this page, all seven selections of O'Donnell came in the final 45 minutes before the game started, i.e. after it became apparent to those at the ground that he was warming up with the forwards. Is this a problem? I'm not sure. It's certainly not illegal (not yet anyway) so it's no reflection on those who took advantage of the circumstances. But I have some concerns that those at the ground get a massive advantage when something like this happens. Or perhaps you could argue it's just part of the fun.

What's your view? I'm contemplating following the AFL's impeccable sports administration example and making a mid-season rule tweak. There are a number of ways it could be addressed. Or maybe I'll just let it ride until the off-season.

Let me know what you think.

The KELVIN

Well despite only 6 goalkickers and 10 goals in total, those seven picks led to some pretty big scores. The Kelvin goes to the wily X_box_X (300) who posted a changed team at 6:56pm to cater for his first choice Khamis being made the WB sub. Then I'm guessing he looked up and thought "wait a minute ... if Khamis is sub ... who the heck is playing forward?" :think:
And there was JO'D having shots at goal in the warm-up.
So at 6:57pm English, Williams and Marra were out and 3x JOD was in!
Well played X_box! And also well played StringyDog (270, 2nd) and Kermit (156, 3rd) who put their entries in at 7:30-ish.
The only other score over 100 was Foxman98 who already had 107 points at quarter time, but that was as far as he went.

The median score was 55 but the average score was 65.09, skewed up by the those big top 3 scores.

There were no Chumps although a few teams got 4 out of 5.

1717847739624.png

The PIEMAN

Despite the sound of galloping hooves behind him chez_ferret has still not surrendered his lead. His safe and steady approach netted him another 57 points and he retains a lead of 51 over X_box who has rocketed up from 13th to 2nd. Ossie21 is third and StringyDog has also leapt up the standings from 15th last week to 4th this week.

1717843006969.png

Pieman Player of the Week

Naturally it had to be James O'Donnell. And by a big margin.

Highest possible score was a 3x O'Donnell and a 2x Bont for 330. X-Box wasn't far off that!
Highest possible Chump was JOD/Bont/Treloar/Garcia/JUH for 256 (183 + 73 bonus).

1717843028502.png

Pieman Player of the Year

The Bont is taking advantage of his rivals Darcy and Naughton being on the sidelines and has opened up a small break for PPotY. Not kicking many goals has always been a knock on the Bont but this year he has kicked 19 from 13 games, an average of 1.46 a game. His career average before 2024 was 0.93 goals a game (200 from 216).

1717843045672.png

Last edited:
FWIW, I made quite a few opposition posters some money in this post.

1717852865521.png

This post also confirms DW's strong suspicion I was at the game to see JOD preparing to play as a secondary key fwd.

In terms of a solution, I will propose the following:

Teams that are posted with less than 60 minutes until the opening bounce are penalised a certain number of points. If you think that's unfair, well we can simply reverse that idea and award teams additional points for entries made no less than 60 minutes prior to the opening bounce.

It's not perfect, but I think it's a lot fairer than the system we currently have in place.

Of course I was rewarded for having the luxury of being at the ground with nothing better to do than update my Pieman team. This can be considered an unfair advantage because not everyone has that same luxury. Others could simply have other plans such as work which makes it difficult to make changes to their team.

If you decide to implement a rule like this, I'd be fully supportive of it but we'd have to work out what a fair and reasonable penalty is. Perhaps it could even be a 20% deduction on your total score for that round? Too much? 10% then?

If it's only 10%, then I still finish with the (joint) highest score for the round.

Remove this Banner Ad

Competitions The Pieman 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back