The Pies/Bombers ANZAC day game is just a H&A game between two teams I Hate

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Typical reaction to a point not made in the post you quoted. The game does increase the awareness among football fans, particularly younger ones. No one has ever said it is anywhere near the only reason or that it is even needed to create awareness, only that it adds to the mix. That is backed up by the RSL. Forget that actual representative body who know better than anyone who posts on here, just look at the annual debate on here. People even talking about the fact the game is not worthy is a positive reinforcement of the actually occassion. No one actually thinks "going to war" on a football field is anything like actually going to war, but thanks to all the muppets on here who think some people think it is and for reminding us it isn't.

By the way some posters carry on you would think the game did some sort of harm to something.
The point made in the post I quoted was pretty clear: The ANZAC Day match "raises awareness" of the sacrifices the Diggers made. This is not only mind bogglingly arrogant, but blatantly incorrect.

You miss the point of why people are upset. They aren't upset the game is being played, or the reason for it. They are upset that two teams get to hog the day, and by extension the meaning behind it, to themselves, leaving the rest of the competition feeling like the poor relations. Essendon and Collingwood neither invented ANZAC Day, nor the idea of a match on that day, and they do not enhance or give meaning to the day because they happen to play on it. Two other teams, any two other teams, would do the day as much justice, I think, but nobody gets the opportunity to try. It's the AFLs version of the One Ring, and Eddie is Gollum, jealously and murderously guarding his "precious".

So we can have a good friday game in Adelaide then?
You dont want your recurring blockbuster marquee game i presume?

It should be a meritocracy. I'd like to see ANZAC Day be the Grand Final replay. I'm not sure what the criteria for Good Friday would be but it should be rotated, if it does come to exist next year.

As for what's taught in schools, I think you'll find it'll vary dramatically how much emphasis is out on Anzac Day/Australian history depending on the school and demographic, and I think the media coverage and the buzz around the footy is a good alternative entry into learning for those that don't get it from their school.
It's part of the new national curriculum, continues to benefit from a sustained campaign by the DVA - which has reinvented itself as a Department of Rememberance - and is arguably overtaught in schools. To be honest you could even argue that far from raising awareness the footy has contributed to the overall abstraction of the day itself, in which we pledge to remember while totally ignoring the war we've been fighting for the past decade.

Essendon and Collingwood neither invented ANZAC Day, nor the idea of a match on that day,
No but they were the two clubs that approached the RSL, discussed it with them and made decisions on the pre-match ceremonies etc based on what the RSL wanted whilst other clubs sat back and said that ANZAC day football wouldn't work.

The point made in the post I quoted was pretty clear: The ANZAC Day match "raises awareness" of the sacrifices the Diggers made. This is not only mind bogglingly arrogant, but blatantly incorrect.

You miss the point of why people are upset. They aren't upset the game is being played, or the reason for it. They are upset that two teams get to hog the day, and by extension the meaning behind it, to themselves, leaving the rest of the competition feeling like the poor relations. Essendon and Collingwood neither invented ANZAC Day, nor the idea of a match on that day, and they do not enhance or give meaning to the day because they happen to play on it. Two other teams, any two other teams, would do the day as much justice, I think, but nobody gets the opportunity to try. It's the AFLs version of the One Ring, and Eddie is Gollum, jealously and murderously guarding his "precious".
You realise Eddie has absolutely nothing to do with it?

There have been stacks of games on Anzac Day previously, and none of them have even come close to the crowd and atmosphere of Collingwood v Essendon. Collingwood and Essendon pioneered the match, and now that it's become an amazing success, everyone else wants to have it instead. It doesn't work that way.

No it is not. In fact both of my kids have been to a few of the games and are more aware than they otherwise would have been. I doubt they are the the only 2 people in the world in that catagory but even if they are your arrogant assumption is catagorically incorrect. I have the utmost respect for what the diggers did but I have observed more "minutes silences" than had I gone about my normal public holiday routine at home. There are 90k at the ground. I dare say there are a good number in the same boat as me. I know people who now go to the dawn service as part of the routine for the day and later go to the gamey that never went to a dawn service before.

It it absolutely factual that more people have more awareness due to the game of footy.
If it is as meaningless as you say then your point is just rubbish born of commercial jellousy.

You realise Eddie has absolutely nothing to do with it?

There have been stacks of games on Anzac Day previously, and none of them have even come close to the crowd and atmosphere of Collingwood v Essendon. Collingwood and Essendon pioneered the match, and now that it's become an amazing success, everyone else wants to have it instead. It doesn't work that way.
He had nothing to do with the start, but Gollum didn't forge the Ring, either.

Just because a game in 1928 didn't draw 250,000 people is no excuse not to share it around now. The one thing Essendon and Collingwood have done right is build up the mythos and atmosphere around the match. I think this could easily be replicated by other match ups, those two sides don't have a monopoly on rabid fans. I have been involved in crowds far lower than those at the MCG with just as good or better atmosphere than at ANZAC Day.

A lot of neutral fans do attend the match, honestly. Do you think they would suddenly stop if it was Richmond Vs Hawthorn, or Geelong Vs North Melbourne? Queens Birthday always gets huge crowds, and look at Melbournes average crowds otherwise!

It should be a meritocracy. I'd like to see ANZAC Day be the Grand Final replay. I'm not sure what the criteria for Good Friday would be but it should be rotated, if it does come to exist next year.

GF replay wouldnt work. what about the times when 2 interstate teams made the GF? There has to be a game at the G otherwise the stadium members will cringe and whinge. Besides, the G is the perfect and best stadium in Australia to host such an event, Essendon and Collingwood has a proven track record of providing both the crowd required and from all accounts a sense of theatre on the day. Let them keep it.

It it absolutely factual that more people have more awareness due to the game of footy.
That's pure unadulterated rubbish.

If it is as meaningless as you say then your point is just rubbish born of commercial jellousy.
I never said it was meaningless, not at all. It is the fall back argument of Collingwood and Essendon fans on this day to say "oh, everyone else is just JEALOUS of how awesome we are" and it's not about that at all. It's about appropriating a sacred day on our calendar and making it all about yourselves. As I have said, it is ANZAC Day, not ESSCOLL Day.

Any teams with the amount of publicity given to ANZAC Day would draw 90,000, absolutely guaranteed.

He had nothing to do with the start, but Gollum didn't forge the Ring, either.

Just because a game in 1928 didn't draw 250,000 people is no excuse not to share it around now. The one thing Essendon and Collingwood have done right is build up the mythos and atmosphere around the match. I think this could easily be replicated by other match ups, those two sides don't have a monopoly on rabid fans. I have been involved in crowds far lower than those at the MCG with just as good or better atmosphere than at ANZAC Day.

A lot of neutral fans do attend the match, honestly. Do you think they would suddenly stop if it was Richmond Vs Hawthorn, or Geelong Vs North Melbourne? Queens Birthday always gets huge crowds, and look at Melbournes average crowds otherwise!
Queen's Birthday crowds:
2013: 50 853
2012: 64 250
2011: 75 998
2010: 67 454
2009: 61 287
2008: 59 548

Anzac Day crowds:
2013: 93 373
2012: 86 932
2011: 89 626
2010: 90 070
2009: 84 829
2008: 88 999
2007: 90 508
2006: 91 234

They don't compare.

Any teams with the amount of publicity given to ANZAC Day would draw 90,000, absolutely guaranteed.

You can't honestly believe that? Essendon and Collingwood are maybe the 2 most supported clubs in the AFL, that's why they draw regular 90k crowds. You can't just replace them with North and Geelong and expect the same result.

I don't like the wording of 'raise awareness', but the game absolutely adds attention to an already large level of attention to the day.

You miss the point of why people are upset. They aren't upset the game is being played, or the reason for it. They are upset that two teams get to hog the day, and by extension the meaning behind it, to themselves, leaving the rest of the competition feeling like the poor relations.

Hog the day? These two clubs made the AFL part of the day what it is. I couldn't give a toss what the rest of the bleating masses think now. If your own club had shown some foresight, perhaps it would be you here instead of us - but you didn't.

To your second point, like it or not, many of the clubs in the league ARE poorer cousins. You have neither the support base, prestige or significance to pull off something like the Anzac Clash.

That's not meant to be an idiotic BigFooty chest beating exercise, it's a statement of fact.

Essendon and Collingwood neither invented ANZAC Day, nor the idea of a match on that day, and they do not enhance or give meaning to the day because they happen to play on it.

Certainly enhances the day for me. Dawn service, the march, pub and two up, and then to the 'G for the game.

Two other teams, any two other teams, would do the day as much justice, I think, but nobody gets the opportunity to try. It's the AFLs version of the One Ring, and Eddie is Gollum, jealously and murderously guarding his "precious".

Absolute crap. 1990 was a special year (shut up Pies), you know why? It's because it was the last time that one of Collingwood or Essendon didn't appear in the top 3 attended clubs during the H&A season; and they spend more than half that time as #1 and #2.

Like it or not, these are the two biggest clubs in the game, on the biggest stage outside of finals. THEY made it what it is, and whilst the rest of you suckle at the proverbial teat, you don't have the slightest thing to do with the success of the game, and nor could you.

Any two other teams..... FFS this site.......

Queen's Birthday crowds:
2013: 50 853
2012: 64 250
2011: 75 998
2010: 67 454
2009: 61 287
2008: 59 548

Anzac Day crowds:
2013: 93 373
2012: 86 932
2011: 89 626
2010: 90 070
2009: 84 829
2008: 88 999
2007: 90 508
2006: 91 234

They don't compare.

And thats not even bringing up the fact the Queens BDay always falls into a long weekend. If the 25th of April falls on a Tuesday or Wednesday, Essendon and Collingwood will still get those crowds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How curious..... geez, I wonder why Melbourne's crowds tend to be larger in Queens Birthday?

We should seriously get a committee together to see if we can't identify the reason behind the suspiciously larger crowd when they play on this day......

Never been then?

As a neutral it was one of the best things ive done in my life.

Brilliant atmosphere, done really well to respect a big part of Australian history.

The year I went there werent even any w***kers that yelled out during the minutes silence. Its an amazing and weird experience having 100,000 people dead silent.

Yeah because invading Turkey had so much to do with Essendon and Collingwood in April 1915. Or the rarely mentioned fact that the entire operation was a shambles which ended in ignominious withdrawal (and I have an ancestor who fought there and was decorated for his part in the withdrawal - so I can say that).

The two most supported clubs in the league BARELY attract 90,000.

Your claim is complete crap.

In fairness, this year it's shaping as a season-defining game for both teams. Current form is with Collingwood; the general preseason predictions were with Essendon. It will be interesting to see how it plays out and hopefully it goes down to the wire.

Yeah because invading Turkey had so much to do with Essendon and Collingwood in April 1915. Or the rarely mentioned fact that the entire operation was a shambles which ended in ignominious withdrawal (and I have an ancestor who fought there and was decorated for his part in the withdrawal - so I can say that).

OK mate.

Rotation of marquee games ruins them. There needs to be continuity.

This coming from a guy who supports a team who only have blockbusters with their hometown rival.

Rotation of marquee games ruins them. There needs to be continuity.

This coming from a guy who supports a team who only have blockbusters with their hometown rival.

Genuinely amazed at those that just don't seem to get this.

Game has been built, for twenty years, into what it is today - but sure, lets just have North play the Dogs next year, don't worry it'll still be as prestigious...... geezus......

Rarely mentioned? Are you kidding. The method of the withdrawal is arguably the most well known story of the entire campaign!

Genuinely amazed at those that just don't seem to get this.

Game has been built, for twenty years, into what it is today - but sure, lets just have North play the Dogs next year, don't worry it'll still be as prestigious...... geezus......

Its not which teams are involved its the continuity.
A dogs v roos good friday game would be great, something to look forward to for both sides each season.

Nothing you have posted proves that in anyway. I don't go to the dawn service and I do not observe a minutes silence on the 25 April. I am still aware of Anzac Day and what it symbolises.

Its not which teams are involved its the continuity.
A dogs v roos good friday game would be great, something to look forward to for both sides each season.

I agree, depending on what you want out of it.

If you're looking for an MCG game to attract 80k or more, year on year it won't happen.

If you want to fill Etihad consistently on a once off basis, sure they might be able to make it work - will take some effort though.

That's pure unadulterated rubbish.
Not according to my kids and not according to the RSL
No it isn't. For a start Collingwood and Essendon drew 90k before the PR machine we currently see. In any case what crowd do you really think Melbourne v The Dogs would draw on Friday? 90k? Not a chance.

The reason for using 2 big drawing clubs is taht you get a very high floor in the crowd. Whether or not that should be a criteria for selection of the teams is a fair enough debate but don't fill it with BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back