Prediction The REAL Season Previews

Remove this Banner Ad

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
West Coast 2018 Season Preview with Coach Simpson

What has your main focus been this pre-season?

"Shortly after the draft we remembered our midfield was pretty rubbish and we'd done nothing to counter that so we called for a whole of club strategic session to work out what key things we could do in the pre-season."

And what were those key things?"

"Like I said we've pretty much given up on improving our team in the middle of the field so we've instead shifted focus to outside the field."

Outside the field? What do you mean?"

"Well I think you've seen some of our measures in the media already. We're really proud of how innovative we've been with our thinking."

Sorry I'm not following, can you give us some examples?"

"The new pre-game ritual for instance. Fans will stand up prior to the bounce down. The injuries fans have encountered when rushing out of the ground early has been a big concern for us. Forcing them to stretch their legs just before the game should help minimise many of the issues we've seen... from pulled muscles to spilt glasses of chardonnay."

And your front row terms and conditions is another such measure?

"Yes! Very excited about that one. We wanted to optimise our collective crowd booing and locating only our own most weak minded fans that howl incessantly to sit closest to the action should help achieve that."

You also changed your logo in the off-season?

"Yes, we thought if we can't play like Hawthorn we can at least look like them in our marketing."

Have you got any other surprises before round 1?

"Yes! We've really listened to our fans over the off season and we're excited to announce we'll be offering Half Game Memberships later this week."

Half game memberships?

"Yes, our fans were fairly vocal about having to pay for a full game but only staying for half a game. So we thought why not offer them what they really want?"

But won't that impact your bottom line?

"Not at all. Have you seen our financials from last year? We're the most profitable sporting club in the universe."

I'm sure clubs around the world are all interested how you can underperform and still remain extremely profitable. How do you do it?

"It's pretty simple really. You just target a highly gullible fan base. There is a reason we call ourselves the e-gulls behind closed doors."

So you offer them hope and then string them along with misleading statements to keep them forking over the cash?

"Clearly you've been following our injury list reports (smirks). Technically we haven't lied because JK is also an acronym for just kidding."

What about Nic Knackeredknee? Will he play round 1?

"We have no idea, probably not but memberships rely a heap on the shoulders of that tall bastard, so we're saying he's playing."

Most people are predicting a massive slide for West Coast in 2018. What's your response to them?

"La la la la la la la la"

So where do you see yourselves on the ladder come the end of 2018?

"I read some pretty compelling arguments from our fans on BigFooty and their Premiers 2018 thread makes me feel gooey on the inside."

What about the loss of Matt Priddis and Sam Mitchell? Who is going to win the ball for you?

"Our fans were pretty adamant that although they were responsible for winning the ball they were way too slow so we wanted to replace them with faster guys that can't win their own football."

You mean like Redden and Yeo?

"We really liked how vanilla Redden looked when he played for Brisbane so it was a no brainer to recruit him. And it's been a long term strategy of ours to try and convert skinny flankers into midfielders."

You couldn't just draft actual midfielders instead?

"Yuck!"

Are you excited about any of your youngsters coming through?

"One of the other coaches finally explained the East Perth alignment to me the other day. It's unlikely we'll play any youth again this season but at least we know we have a larger pool of vanilla to choose from."

Is Luke Shuey going to struggle without anyone to extract the ball for him?

"We are very concerned about the umpires clamping down on dropping at the knees."

So less ducking, more sucking?

Well good luck this season Adam.

Beautiful stuff WTG. All I could picture when reading this.

giphy.gif

Must admit, this is brilliant. Very well written and a fair summary of some of our posters on our board.

Fremantle 2018 Season Preview with Coach Lyon

"We wanted to improve our method so we worked on our method and our effort and I think we can walk away saying we did that."

Um... ok? You had a good win in JLT2. Does that set you up well ahead of Round 1?

"One day your a rooster, the next day a feather duster. There was a bit to like but we're not reading too much into it."

Where have you seen the most improvement over the pre-season?

"I think that's yet to be determined. Our effort and intensity has looked better."

Transitioning from defensive 50 was a major issue last season. How have you rectified that?

"Last year we thought our messaging was a bit complicated so we've simplified."

And what about forward 50, what improvements can we expect?

"We've been better at Centre Forward this pre-season. But one swallow doesn't make a summer does it?"

Um...? I'm not sure... How did you rate your trade period?

"The cobblers did some cobbling. Nathan and Brandon come in."

And what about your drafting?

"I know it's a cliche but we've invested heavily in two drafts now."

Ok...? Does Peel winning the last two WAFL premierships fill you with confidence about how your youngsters are developing?

"We're confident they can come in and do their role."

So you've just announced your first ever Round 1 debutants in Andrew Brayshaw and Bailey Banfield?

"Yes. They're dog hungry."

Will Danyle Pearce and Cam Sutcliffe play round 1?

"The team picks itself. I can't have match committee here, can I?"

No, it doesn't seem so. Do you think Freo play finals in 2018?

"I don't have my crystal ball on me. If we give great effort week in week out we'll reap the reward."

Will Harley Bennell play this year?

"You act your way out, you act your way in."

Will Fyfe getting back to his best make a big difference?

"He's certainly handy."

Your percentage was second worst last season. Can you be more competitive and improve on that?

"It wasn't ideal was it? We learnt some really valuable lessons. At the end of the day I'm the senior coach and I have to find a way to get it done."

Robert Walls is saying you can make finals. What do you think?

"Today's headlines, tomorrow's fish and chip wrapper. Perhaps even today's when it comes to Robert."

Are you are chance to beat Port in round 1?

"We want to fly in, silence the crowd early, get the four points and fly out."

Good luck this year Ross

"You're quite brilliant."

Am I breaching any copyright if I copy and paste that into an email to my (very) few Egirl loving mates?

Edit: The Simpson one, not the RTB one.

Brilliant!
Hopefully all the teams get a run :thumbsu:

North Melbourne 2018 Season Preview with Coach Brad Scott

"I've spent most of my summer installing reflective window tinting in the coaches box at Etihad."

Um...ok? Why?

"The endless GIFs out there showing me losing my sh*t when we are getting beaten or have a free kick paid against us have been pretty hurtful. My brother Chris is upset about them as well."

Speaking of Chris, plenty are saying he has proven the far the better AFL coach so far. What do you say to that?

"Well duh, he's clearly a much better coach than me. I'm still confused why someone gave me the keys to this place 8 years ago."

Is this now the 9th year of your rebuild?

"Yes, it's getting exciting now, mid way point, only 9 years to go."

So what are your main priorities for 2018?

"You mean apart from the window tinting? Well our GOAL! program is pretty interesting."

What's that?

"We're trying to raise all Tasmanians to an average footballer education level."

Well that certainly seems achievable. Is that a precursor to relocating there at some stage?

"I'm hopeful it'll get done. Is there anywhere in Australia more isolated to go into hiding after being on the end of a shellacking? Our research is also telling us the miners, farmers and lumberjacks there are an untapped market we can exploit."

Sounds promising for your future... In the meantime what have you done to increase membership numbers on the mainland in 2018?

"We think our 'buy 3, get 8 games free' initiative should result in a lot more memberships being sold this season."

That certainly seems a great deal for anyone who hasn't already paid for an 11 game membership. But what if people buy in and just don't turn up to the games?

"Well how else are they going to watch the games?"

On television?

"Are you telling me the sh*t we've been serving up is being telecast? <expletive>? Why would anyone be watching us over that Married at First Sight show?"

(awkward silence)... North seems pretty invested in community programs at the moment. Anything else on the horizon?

"We're considering implementing an anti bullying program"

Sounds great. With some local schools?

"No?!? It's to try and stop people from bullying me. Have you seen some of the things said and written about me in recent years?"

Yeah fair enough... (more awkward silence)... So you have some reason for optimism ahead of the coming season?

"Tom Lynch hasn't said no to us yet."

Well North was linked to a long list of players last season but come the trade period you didn't you trade any players in.

"People thought we were interested in players like Dusty Martin, Josh Kelly and Jake Stringer but the reality is our main focus was always on securing Alex Morgan as a free agent. Everyone keeps talking about players needing speed and skills in this era and he's got one of those two things. Was a bargain really, free agents are free you know."

Yes but you still have to pay them as part of your salary cap though.

"Really? Oh <expletive>, that list management guy at the Pies gave us the impression they were completely free. <expletive> <expletive> <expletive>. (whispers to Harvey) Go get McMahon."

(more awkward silence)... Whilst your trade period was very quiet, you did pick up some quality in the draft though?

"LDU LDU LDU... LDU LDU LDU... LDU LDU LDU... (sung as La Cucharacha)"

... Sorry to interrupt. So you are confident Luke will make an immediate impact?

"I think it's pretty clear to everyone he can't make us any worse."

Any other promising signs ahead of 2018?

"The other day we beat a VFL team, Williamstown I think? 21 of our AFL listed players made them look like a bunch of part-time footballers."

Congratulations on the big win. Sounds like you've got a heap of B and C grade young talent to draw from this year?

"Yes exactly. St Kilda get all the kudos for having the most mediocre list but I think we can give them a run for their money this season."

Well good luck in 2018 Bard.

"It's Brad. You're just as mean as all that #lolnorf mob (walks off blubbering)."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond 2018 Season Preview with Coach Hardwick

Coming off the back of a premiership last year what's been your focus this pre-season?

"How good was it winning the big one?"

Yes, very good. How have you spent your time since that day?

"Watching the tape over and over again of course."

You've carried that winning form through JLT. Do you see it continuing through the regular season?

"Winning, winning, winning."

You broke a 37 year drought last season. What is motivating you to stay at the top?

"Well it's like we climbed a mountain and we're at the summit. It's bloody cold up there but we huddle around and keep each other warm. Little Rioli has fallen down, Prestia takes a tumble and Hampson's done his back carrying some supplies. But young Bolton and a couple of others step up whilst they recover. Others are trying to pull us off the mountain but we stand united and fight them off. We sacrifice a few by keeping them out in the cold. Dustin Martin eats everything to keep the rest of us hungry. And when the food runs out he goes out hunting for some more with his bare hands."

Wow. Sounds a bit like a movie.

"Yes. We won the premiership."

People do say you are often overly dramatic.

Dusty was sensational last season. Can he be even better in 2018?

How will he stay ahead of Fyfe and Dangerfield as the #1 player?

"He will. We won the premiership."

Some pundits are predicting a bit of a Premiership hangover for Richmond. What do you say to them?

"No. We won the premiership."

Can your use of a small forward line stand up another year?

If the other clubs work out how to combat it what's your fallback plan?

"I recorded last year's Grand Final on my VCR. We won the premiership."

Last season you relied heavily on your stars Martin, Cotchin, Riewoldt and Rance. Can you remain competitive if any of them become injured?

You've just extended your contract and will become Richmond's longest serving coach. Can you deliver the ultimate success again?

Thanks Damian.

"No problem. We won the premiership."

Port Adelaide 2018 Season Preview with Coach Hinkley

"I'm not sure if you saw our trade ins last year but we're confident we've bought ourselves a premiership so I'm just waiting for that to play out."

Yes you certainly had a busy trade period. However all of your new recruits have been criticised for going missing in big games. How are you going to turn them around?

"What do you mean? Jack Watts was a number one pick. It was a masterstroke getting him!"

He hasn't exactly lived up to potential though, has he? He's the punchline in most football related jokes. Why do yo think Melbourne were so willing to let him go?

"Yeah ok maybe he's not that good. But Rockliff is awesome!"

The guy renowned for having the least impact per possession of any player in the AFL?

"But he racks up so many touches. And now we have the excitement machine that is Motlop."

Arguably the the most likely player of all to go missing you mean?

"But have you seen how far Trent McKenzie can kick the ball though?"

Do you need him to do anything else?

"Hmmm... I suppose your going to make fun of us recruiting Lindsay Thomas as well?"

Well...

"(interrupts) Yeah never mind, I just realised what I said out loud."

How have you recovered after Luke Shuey ended your finals campaign last season?

"We reviewed it thoroughly. And on reflection that little ducker helped us avoid the embarrassment of getting smashed by GWS the following week."

You were pretty abysmal against top 8 sides last year. What can you do to be more competitive against them?

"We think we've been defending ourselves quite well in the media lately. So hopefully that can translate to on the field."

Will the "Flat Track Bully" tag remain this season?

"We've certainly traded in recruits who excel against weaker opponents so we will no doubt solidify the brand."

Was that mad recruiting spree off the back of an impatient egotistical President?

"I think we both know the answer to that (touches nose)."

What's the timeline for the move to China?

"Wǒmen xīwàng zài liǎng niánnèi bān dào nàlǐ"

Impressive! Is the whole club learning Chinese?

"Yes. It's been written into everyone's contracts."

Are you worried about the regularity of power failures in China?

"Ha ha ha, you're so funny (sad face)."

Sorry. We're just bitter here in the media because you lumped us with Kane Cornes.

"Yeah fair enough. We owe you for taking him off our hands."

Good luck against Freo in Round 1.

"Thanks, we're just hoping they aren't top 8 material."

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction The REAL Season Previews

Remove this Banner Ad

Back