The Return of Grand Final Thuggery?

Remove this Banner Ad

Violent Stool

Senior List
Jul 5, 2007
Mexico
What do you think?

Could this week's GF be the one where we go back to the good/bad old days?

Mooney has already spoken about targetting Riewoldt's knee, and with snipers like Scarlett running around could we maybe see some legitimate fireworks?

Could Steven Baker target a skirter like Joel Corey early in the game?

Could Max Rooke line up Sam Fisher in the first quarter with his great straight line running?

Could Lenny Hayes or Michael Gardiner, both men who genuinely like hurting people, take the leash off and start dropping guys?

Kosi has been on the brink of doing something very silly this season, he's another who seems to enjoy inflicting pain, could this be the day where he lets loose?

Both sides have their share of guys who tippy-toe on the line of being 'goons' at times, so could this week's game be one for the old geezers crying out for thuggery like 'the good old days'??

Mooney has already spoken about targetting Riewoldt's knee, and with snipers like Scarlett running around could we maybe see some legitimate fireworks?

Geelong has done it before, Yeates putting Brereton down in 1989. It's hard to imagine a team more reliant on a single player than St.Kilda with Riewolt.

What do you think?

Could this week's GF be the one where we go back to the good/bad old days?

Could Steven Baker target a skirter like Joel Corey early in the game?

Could Max Rooke line up Sam Fisher in the first quarter with his great straight line running?

Could Lenny Hayes or Michael Gardiner, both men who genuinely like hurting people, take the leash off and start dropping guys?

Kosi has been on the brink of doing something very silly this season, he's another who seems to enjoy inflicting pain, could this be the day where he lets loose?

Both sides have their share of guys who tippy-toe on the line of being 'goons' at times, so could this week's game be one for the old geezers crying out for thuggery like 'the good old days'??

lol, I'd be me worried about Kosi taking out one or 2 of his own. FFS he maims them when he celebrates kicking a goal, imagine if he intentionally wanted to do something. Maybe the umpires should steer clear of him too.

I don't expect targetting knees or anything; but I expect some massive contests with just pure, straight line running - two guys going 110% and refusing to deviate early on in the game and resulting in somebody getting hurt, which will no doubt trigger fireworks and see some blowups.

I hope so.

I'd hate to see a player like Ablett or Rooey taken out unfairly, but I think we'll see some big, borderline hits.

I am expecting the thuggery to come out of the Saints camp - they are the inexperienced grand finalists.

I don't think we have anyone capable. Baker in the old days maybe, Dawson is always a chance to do something stupid, King will give Blake a bit no doubt, and whoever hits Scarlett doesn't count.

I say the best chance of starting something is Mooney, particularly if he sprays a couple early, he'll need to justify in his own mind that he's there for a reason.

I am expecting the thuggery to come out of the Saints camp - they are the inexperienced grand finalists.

They are mature, experienced finals footballers though.

Thuggery is a tactic and a tool; if it's used by either side, it'll be for a purpose - not because they're inexperienced.

Neil Craig actually said on the radio here in Adelaide on Friday Night, when asked what else the Crows could've done to stop the Pies run the other week, that back in the 80s/90s, you'd instruct your senior players to start a massive punchon.

If this is to happen, surely someone from the Saints will take out Ling, to stop him molesting and scragging Del Santo or whoever he is assigned.

Bring it on, I say. (From either team)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mooney saying he'd like Roo to go down in the first five is not the same as saying they'll be targeting him.

Last year's GF was built up as a return to Thuggery and it was a complete fizz. PLEASE let it happen. :thumbsu:

Every year people there's talk of this but it just doesn't happen anymore. I remember in 1996 when North were huge favorites against Sydney I thought well at least Plugger will start taking out players, but it didn't happen. In the 00's we had Hall play in two consecutive GF's and nothing happened. The worst in the last year's GF was Mitchell's coathanger on Ablett which in terms of violence was kinda meh. Actually, since the 1990 GF there's only been Lynch losing the plot, but that was more frustration than a clinical taking out of a player a la Yeates.

I expect to see lots of hard tackling and bumping but no more than that...

I thought this kind of 'thuggery' fully went out of style by the mid-'90s, just like mullet haircuts. Obviously like the aformentioned questionable hairstyle, some people still cling to the days when players regularly 'went the knuckle' without harsh penalty.

I'll probably get labelled a killjoy for saying this, but in the same way that people who watched Big Brother hoping for sex and nudity should just have watched pr0n, people watching footy hoping for 'biffo' should just watch MMA or boxing instead. Fighting is not a part of our game, and never should be IMO.

I'm hoping for a tough, contested game of footy, but it'd just cheapen the spectacle if two great teams descended into thuggery to gain the upper hand. I'd rather the two most talented teams do just what they're there for - play footy - and prove who is the better football team in 2009.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Return of Grand Final Thuggery?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back