Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually yeah agreed on that, I'd argue our versatility would go close though but pound for pound purely on list talent they're ahead of everyone.

Billy hasn't had any real top level time in there to gauge anything yet but the promise is certainly there. Certainly the panel think so.

You'd have Himmelberg every day of the week IMV over Mayne, but that doesn't diminish his versatility. The berg is a super talent but.
GWS has the most talented and flexible list.

GWS has the most talented and flexible list.

Umm...thats what happens when you keep getting first round draft picks forever?
They are AFL backed to succeed, so it will happen. Jack Hill the blind miner could have assembled their list. Us mere mortal clubs, we just keep paying GWS's wages and watching them succeed.

If GWS has the best list.....why do they keep losing finals?

They are AFL backed to succeed, so it will happen. Jack Hill the blind miner could have assembled their list. Us mere mortal clubs, we just keep paying GWS's wages and watching them succeed.

Because they have no soul. They're an artificial club with no history and no culture.

Like us they have run into big injury issues. Tigers have kept their blokes on the field at the pointy end which makes a big difference. Imagine Richmond without Martin. Well we played them last year when they didn't have Greene, Whitfield, Ward and Coniglio and yet their mids still beat ours.

Because they have no soul. They're an artificial club with no history and no culture.

Every team that ever commenced had no history and no culture. Those things evolve over time. In GWS’s case, the culture side of it is Coming along well. I go to all their Canberra games and they put on a good show, have a strong fan base and are fun to watch. They provide the only live AFL we get to see in the Nation’s Capital, so I’m happy to give them some support. Obviously they don’t have the history or inspire the same level fans’ passion as our beloved Pies but they’ve achieved as much as Freo and in much shorter time. And their theme song is also way better than the Dockers’!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Looks like Richmond trained today?

Did we train yesterday? I would've thought main sessions Sunday and Tuesday, light run on Wednesday. Unless we just skipped the Sunday session...
I heard Jordy never misses a Sunday session....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks so much Albert Parker, Jen2310 and Daicos Torpedo for the comprehensive match sim reports. Terrific detail and analysis, reading them I felt like I was there. And even if I had been, I doubt that I would have noticed everything that you guys did.

Well done and thank you. Being based up here I rarely get to see training or matches in the flesh, so I rely on the reports and insights of fellow travellers.

These reports are the main reason I joined BF.
Thanks Capital, but I only cut and paste a link! I don't deserve to be put in the same stratosphere as the others!

Copiedfrom Nigel on FB..
Another Nice fresh morning for training on Tuesday. It wasn't an overly strenuous session. Mainly drills for fitness and endurance by the looks of it. It was good to see Mark Keane back training after his 14 day isolation and he did well too. He appeared to pick up where he left off before the lockdown. He did some one on one work with Will Kelly to start with. and appeared to play full back on Darcy Cameron for a while in the practice game. I didn't see Anton Tohill though, so not sure where he was. Players in rehab were Adam Treloar, Levi Greenwood, Flynn Appleby and Trent Bianco. No sign of Ben Reid. Treloar completed a long session running and kicking with both feet, handballing and having quite a few shots on goal. He looked fairly comfortable doing everything so hopefully he is not too far away from full training. Greenwood and Appleby were mainly just doing running and both look reasonable but not quite ready to do full training yet. Bianco did a lot of ball work with Treloar and a trainer but his shoulder is obviously still a problem. I think he would probably be a couple of weeks away from resuming full training. Mason Cox did the full session including the practice match and looked quite good so if he is not playing against Richmond, it must have been a fairly close call. No doubt he will play in the reserves game tomorrow evening. After a fairly lengthy warm up and some kick to kick the players took part in a practice match of sorts. The first one to goal was Darcy Cameron after he took a good mark. He played much better than he did on Friday mainly because he was working hard for the ball and covering a lot of ground in the 50m area. I presume continually moving around is how they will want him to play. He looked much better than he did on Friday when he was trying to just play one on one with Dunn and Roughead out of the square. That was not working for him. I would say moving around will be the plan for Thursday if he plays seniors.There was a lot of swapping and changing with players between teams. It appeared that each time a goal was scored, they would sprint to the other end of the ground and start again. That went for about half an hour and everyone seemed to get their share of the ball with nobody really outstanding. Elliott and De Goey spent a fair bit of time in the midfield again and were prominent again.. A large group of players also took part in a handballing drill of keepings off in about a 30m circle. That went for quite some time.Most of the players finished up doing a lot of goalkicking for 15 minutes I didn't really see anything from the fringe players to force their way into the team that played in round one against the Dogs. I think Jaidyn Stephenson is the only one who could come back in, but I haven't seen much from him that could put him in front of Tyler Brown. Stepho has only played 2 games in 11 months and missed a lot of the pre-season and it shows a bit, so some game time in the reserves on Wednesday evening would probably do him good and give him some game time. For what it is worth, if I was picking the team it would be.........................................................................................FB

Jack Crisp, Jordan Roughead, Jeremy Howe

HB

Brayden Maynard, Darcy Moore, John Noble

C

Will Hoskin-Elliott, Scott Pendlebury, Chris Mayne

HF

Tom Phillips, Brody Mihocek, Callum. Brown

FF

Jordan De Goey, Darcy Cameron Jamie Elliott

FOL

Brodie Grundy, Taylor Adams, Steele Sidebottom

IC

Tyler Brown, Josh Thomas,

Josh Daicos, Jack Madgen

I would love to see Rupert Wills slotted in somewhere, but I don't think it will happen. I think Jack Madgen will keep his spot. He has been doing well in the practice games. So basically it will be Darcy Cameron replacing Mason Cox and that is it. And presuming Cameron plays I wish him all the best and hope he plays the way he did this morning. Go Pies. 💪💪💪

GAME WEEK. Training session. Round 2.

My mate and I got there about 9:30am. Gate was open so you could walk onto the ground. Nobody around apart from some athletes running on the track. I wasn't worried, but my friend was... I have a bad feeling. I was like, they're prob running late from a meeting. Next minute, I see Tohil walk past me and into the club. He too was running late it seems.
About 10 minutes later, we saw one of the staff come out with the box of trackers. He asked if they were training, we got the response in 20 mins. Which would push it til about 10AM.

We walked to AAMI Park, where my friend wanted to grab a coffee, with the Glasshouse not yet open for business. The Cafe over there was open at least.
By the time we walked back, the boys were starting to come out onto the ground. They closed the gates, so you couldn't sit on the benches. So I guess when its open to the public, you can sit as far as the glasshouse doors, but when its for exclusive access to the club they cut off the gate where the cafe is.

Rehab group: Bianco, Greenwood, Appleby, Treloar. Appleby did all sorts of stuff from running and drills, just not match sim. I don't imagine he is injured, but maybe not 100% ready for full on match sim.
Reid was also out there and did some exercises for his calf with a trainer.

The irish are back and working with the main group. Although during match sim, I lost sight of Tohil and I feel like he may have went inside. I'm not 100% sure. Mark Keane though, stayed; even when those reserve players left and went back inside.

The group was split up into two groups. Whites and Blacks for the session. You could sense who might be playing, who might npt. While yes, they could have just been making fools of us and trying not to let out any secrets. The blacks seem to be the ones that played round 1. Minus Cox.
It could have just been because it was split of 18/18, so there had to be some regulars in the white so make it even. But none of the less, apart from those developing/fringe players, those others in the white included: Stevo, Josh Thomas, Phillips, Tyler Brown, Wills, Sier, Quaynor, Noble, along with, Shaz, Dunn, Varcoe, Kelly, Murphy, Broomhead, WHE, Rantall,Ruscoe, Atu, Lynch,Wilson, Cox.

It was very interesting when Stevo went inside with the whites, clearly when they left the track early it was because they were playing in the reserves game tomorrow. Cox we knew would be playing last night.

Cameron got a cheer of applause when the group got together, and not unexpected he has been chosen to debut in leigh of Cox's injury.

It also wasn't your full on match sim either. No centre bounce, it started with stoppages and then play on.

Once all the whites went inside, Keane stayed out. Maybe they wanted him to get in a bit of extra work, as he worked with the defenders and Matty Boyd.
Tyler Brown was some very very impressive stuff during the match sim. The way he works around in traffic definitely reminds me of Pendles in some ways.

I caught sight of Langdon who came out and did some things before he went and did some running outside of the ground. I saw him return sweaty with a water bottle, who then chatted with Wills during when the half group had left the ground and went inside.

Appleby didn't play match sim, but he did join his defender group afterward with extra drills. Marking drills it was and a bit of other stuff. So clearly nothing is serious with him.

Treloar, Bianco and Greenwood did a fair amount of work by themselves. They all were stepping things up as they work their ways back from their own injuries, shouldn't be too much longer for each of them.

I think we're in bloody good shape. The big question I have is can we add the necessary power to our midfield, either by being able to release Degoey from the forward line (a big loss to our forward line) or by Sier or Wills kicking on and overcoming their weaknesses.

I really like the idea of Elliott and De Goey rotating midfield and forward. It will go a long way towards adding depth, quality and unpredictability to the midfield. I think a bit of diversity in our midfield options is really needed.

I kinda hope we persist with Tyler Brown in midfield too. I think its a bit early for him but he has more skill than Wills. I value Tylers more impactful disposals when compared to Wills. And a bit like Maynard when he first broke into the 22 I reckon we will benefit from fast tracking Tyler's development, or at least have a better understanding about whether he is a realistic long term option for us.

Last edited:
I really like the idea of Elliott and De Goey rotating midfield and forward. It will go a long way towards adding depth, quality and unpredictability to the midfield. I think a bit of diversity in our midfield ooptions is really needed.

I kinda hope we persist with Tyler Brown in midfield too. I think its a bit early for him but he has more skill than Wills. I value Tylers more impactful disposals when compared to Wills. And a bit like Maynard when he first broke into the 22 I reckon we will benefit from fast tracking Tyler's development, or at least have a better understanding about whether he is a realistic long term option for us.
I want some size and aggression in there. A couple of teams physically bullied us to great effect last year. thus I think we'll be targeted again this year.

"A champion team will always beat a team of champions."

I want some size and aggression in there. A couple of teams physically bullied us to great effect last year. thus I think we'll be targeted again this year.

De Goey adds size. I'm not really convinced Wills or Sier are better than the alternatives size or not. We might just need to structure differently. Or our best option to add size outside of that is Crisp or Maynard, which i'm not against as a limited rotation. I wish Sier would get his head right.

De Goey adds size. I'm not really convinced Wills or Sier are better than the alternatives size or not. We might just need to structure differently. Or our best option to add size outside of that is Crisp or Maynard, which i'm not against as a limited rotation. I wish Sier would get his head right.

I was actually hoping that Wills was someone playing tomorrow rather than today, Richmond's speed out of the middle to their forwards concerns me a lot. I don't think you want to allow them quick entries cause they'll hit up one of their forwards or bring it to ground and start their pressure game that has served them so well for the last 2 seasons.

Having Wills there provides us at worst with some insurance, in that if we don't win the clearance ourselves he won't let them walk it out of there to easily. I understand that he is quite limited in what else he offers, but against the tigers slowing down their movement inside 50 is super important.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back