Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Copiedfrom Nigel on FB..
Another Nice fresh morning for training on Tuesday. It wasn't an overly strenuous session. Mainly drills for fitness and endurance by the looks of it. It was good to see Mark Keane back training after his 14 day isolation and he did well too. He appeared to pick up where he left off before the lockdown. He did some one on one work with Will Kelly to start with. and appeared to play full back on Darcy Cameron for a while in the practice game. I didn't see Anton Tohill though, so not sure where he was. Players in rehab were Adam Treloar, Levi Greenwood, Flynn Appleby and Trent Bianco. No sign of Ben Reid. Treloar completed a long session running and kicking with both feet, handballing and having quite a few shots on goal. He looked fairly comfortable doing everything so hopefully he is not too far away from full training. Greenwood and Appleby were mainly just doing running and both look reasonable but not quite ready to do full training yet. Bianco did a lot of ball work with Treloar and a trainer but his shoulder is obviously still a problem. I think he would probably be a couple of weeks away from resuming full training. Mason Cox did the full session including the practice match and looked quite good so if he is not playing against Richmond, it must have been a fairly close call. No doubt he will play in the reserves game tomorrow evening. After a fairly lengthy warm up and some kick to kick the players took part in a practice match of sorts. The first one to goal was Darcy Cameron after he took a good mark. He played much better than he did on Friday mainly because he was working hard for the ball and covering a lot of ground in the 50m area. I presume continually moving around is how they will want him to play. He looked much better than he did on Friday when he was trying to just play one on one with Dunn and Roughead out of the square. That was not working for him. I would say moving around will be the plan for Thursday if he plays seniors.There was a lot of swapping and changing with players between teams. It appeared that each time a goal was scored, they would sprint to the other end of the ground and start again. That went for about half an hour and everyone seemed to get their share of the ball with nobody really outstanding. Elliott and De Goey spent a fair bit of time in the midfield again and were prominent again.. A large group of players also took part in a handballing drill of keepings off in about a 30m circle. That went for quite some time.Most of the players finished up doing a lot of goalkicking for 15 minutes I didn't really see anything from the fringe players to force their way into the team that played in round one against the Dogs. I think Jaidyn Stephenson is the only one who could come back in, but I haven't seen much from him that could put him in front of Tyler Brown. Stepho has only played 2 games in 11 months and missed a lot of the pre-season and it shows a bit, so some game time in the reserves on Wednesday evening would probably do him good and give him some game time. For what it is worth, if I was picking the team it would be.........................................................................................FB

Jack Crisp, Jordan Roughead, Jeremy Howe

HB

Brayden Maynard, Darcy Moore, John Noble

C

Will Hoskin-Elliott, Scott Pendlebury, Chris Mayne

HF

Tom Phillips, Brody Mihocek, Callum. Brown

FF

Jordan De Goey, Darcy Cameron Jamie Elliott

FOL

Brodie Grundy, Taylor Adams, Steele Sidebottom

IC

Tyler Brown, Josh Thomas,

Josh Daicos, Jack Madgen

I would love to see Rupert Wills slotted in somewhere, but I don't think it will happen. I think Jack Madgen will keep his spot. He has been doing well in the practice games. So basically it will be Darcy Cameron replacing Mason Cox and that is it. And presuming Cameron plays I wish him all the best and hope he plays the way he did this morning. Go Pies. 💪💪💪

Thanks.

But OMG -- paragraphs!

Jen, when you're flying your drone into the MCG today to prepare us a report on the scratch match, look out for those wires they've put in to deter the seagulls.

.... you are flying a drone in, right?
I'm already posing as one of the staff members ;)

Copiedfrom Nigel on FB..
Another Nice fresh morning for training on Tuesday. It wasn't an overly strenuous session. Mainly drills for fitness and endurance by the looks of it. It was good to see Mark Keane back training after his 14 day isolation and he did well too. He appeared to pick up where he left off before the lockdown. He did some one on one work with Will Kelly to start with. and appeared to play full back on Darcy Cameron for a while in the practice game. I didn't see Anton Tohill though, so not sure where he was. Players in rehab were Adam Treloar, Levi Greenwood, Flynn Appleby and Trent Bianco. No sign of Ben Reid. Treloar completed a long session running and kicking with both feet, handballing and having quite a few shots on goal. He looked fairly comfortable doing everything so hopefully he is not too far away from full training. Greenwood and Appleby were mainly just doing running and both look reasonable but not quite ready to do full training yet. Bianco did a lot of ball work with Treloar and a trainer but his shoulder is obviously still a problem. I think he would probably be a couple of weeks away from resuming full training. Mason Cox did the full session including the practice match and looked quite good so if he is not playing against Richmond, it must have been a fairly close call. No doubt he will play in the reserves game tomorrow evening. After a fairly lengthy warm up and some kick to kick the players took part in a practice match of sorts. The first one to goal was Darcy Cameron after he took a good mark. He played much better than he did on Friday mainly because he was working hard for the ball and covering a lot of ground in the 50m area. I presume continually moving around is how they will want him to play. He looked much better than he did on Friday when he was trying to just play one on one with Dunn and Roughead out of the square. That was not working for him. I would say moving around will be the plan for Thursday if he plays seniors.There was a lot of swapping and changing with players between teams. It appeared that each time a goal was scored, they would sprint to the other end of the ground and start again. That went for about half an hour and everyone seemed to get their share of the ball with nobody really outstanding. Elliott and De Goey spent a fair bit of time in the midfield again and were prominent again.. A large group of players also took part in a handballing drill of keepings off in about a 30m circle. That went for quite some time.Most of the players finished up doing a lot of goalkicking for 15 minutes I didn't really see anything from the fringe players to force their way into the team that played in round one against the Dogs. I think Jaidyn Stephenson is the only one who could come back in, but I haven't seen much from him that could put him in front of Tyler Brown. Stepho has only played 2 games in 11 months and missed a lot of the pre-season and it shows a bit, so some game time in the reserves on Wednesday evening would probably do him good and give him some game time. For what it is worth, if I was picking the team it would be.........................................................................................FB

Jack Crisp, Jordan Roughead, Jeremy Howe

HB

Brayden Maynard, Darcy Moore, John Noble

C

Will Hoskin-Elliott, Scott Pendlebury, Chris Mayne

HF

Tom Phillips, Brody Mihocek, Callum. Brown

FF

Jordan De Goey, Darcy Cameron Jamie Elliott

FOL

Brodie Grundy, Taylor Adams, Steele Sidebottom

IC

Tyler Brown, Josh Thomas,

Josh Daicos, Jack Madgen

I would love to see Rupert Wills slotted in somewhere, but I don't think it will happen. I think Jack Madgen will keep his spot. He has been doing well in the practice games. So basically it will be Darcy Cameron replacing Mason Cox and that is it. And presuming Cameron plays I wish him all the best and hope he plays the way he did this morning. Go Pies. 💪💪💪

Tom Phillips ain't no half forward. And you wouldn't play Mayne and WHE on opposite wings.

I think we're in bloody good shape. The big question I have is can we add the necessary power to our midfield, either by being able to release Degoey from the forward line (a big loss to our forward line) or by Sier or Wills kicking on and overcoming their weaknesses.
Def think Sier gaining form and becoming part of the midfield would help us. Surely should be getting better at this stage of his career. Treloar to come back also...

I can't believe there's not a single word around about this scratch match. Predictable I guess, but shocking.

Well it was a Closed Game.

Won't hear anything if at all until tommorow morning IF at all

I was actually hoping that Wills was someone playing tomorrow rather than today, Richmond's speed out of the middle to their forwards concerns me a lot. I don't think you want to allow them quick entries cause they'll hit up one of their forwards or bring it to ground and start their pressure game that has served them so well for the last 2 seasons.

Having Wills there provides us at worst with some insurance, in that if we don't win the clearance ourselves he won't let them walk it out of there to easily. I understand that he is quite limited in what else he offers, but against the tigers slowing down their movement inside 50 is super important.

My concern with Wills is once it's on the outside he becomes a liability defensively in transition. If Wills isn't effective inside the contest we're disadvantaged. I reckon it'll help give Richmond quick ball movement. But that's just my read on it.

My concern with Wills is once it's on the outside he becomes a liability defensively in transition. If Wills isn't effective inside the contest we're disadvantaged. I reckon it'll help give Richmond quick ball movement. But that's just my read on it.
Wills seems a two edged sword - on the one hand a superb negating presence - on the other a less that optimal outside player.

Does the one outweigh the other or visa versa?

Only the club knows.

Wills seems a two edged sword - on the one hand a superb negating presence - on the other a less that optimal outside player.

Does the one outweigh the other or visa versa?

Only the club knows.

Personally I don't think so because Wills isn't very good at defending outside the contest. I appreciate Johno9911 take on it though. I think it comes down to how you rate different defensive setups. Do you stop it at the coal face, back that in. Or is it more about the whole field and transition. I weight the latter more highly than the former I guess.

Personally I don't think so because Wills isn't very good at defending outside the contest. I appreciate Johno9911 take on it though. I think it comes down to how you rate different defensive setups. Do you stop it at the coal face, back that in. Or is it more about the whole field and transition. I weight the latter more highly than the former I guess.
I have no rusted on position either way but merely note that Wills is very good at his narrow skill set and makes opposition players look over their shoulders.

Does anyone have a clue as to how the scratch match went late yesterday, and how Cox, Stevo and co performed? Very frustrating. Disappointed that Jen2310 wasn’t hovering above the G in one of these:

Does anyone have a clue as to how the scratch match went late yesterday, and how Cox, Stevo and co performed? Very frustrating. Disappointed that Jen2310 wasn’t hovering above the G in one of these:

Pretty slack of her. Needs a bigger block of training to hit form? Or general attitude? Either way she's got a fair bit of work to do to defend her POTY crown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond do like to extend the contested footy though.

Does anyone have a clue as to how the scratch match went late yesterday, and how Cox, Stevo and co performed?

There's a tiny story on The Age website, but it's entirely about Richmond as it comes from comments made by their VFL coach.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ratch-match-against-pies-20200611-p551ih.html

"He (Nankervis) was up against Max Lynch, who I thought created a great contest.

"They went toe-to-toe and I thought as the game went on Nank got better and better and started to find a bit more of the footy."

That's pretty much the extent of the mentions of Collingwood players.

Interesting, would have thought he would have went against Cox, not Lynch. If anything, good experience for Lynchy.

I reckon Lynch would've played main ruck, as is his main role, with Cox playing his normal forward role with a pinch hit in the ruck.

I still can't believe we have no photos, goal kickers, nothing.

Interesting, would have thought he would have went against Cox, not Lynch. If anything, good experience for Lynchy.

Interesting. I guess there are 2 sides to that discussion. Either Cox has missed a lot of recent training so didn't want to risk him by overloading him or that in a brave new world of 16 minute quarters they see limited need for Cox to play anywhere other than forward with occasional cameo's in the ruck.

I guess they also need to factor in where they see Lynch playing which I assume is mainly ruck, and his development needs as well.

Hopefully a journalist at least asks Bucks for information on who played well last night, if he doesn't offer the information voluntarily!

Otherwise it's all on Jen on Tuesday/Thursday.
More likely Jen will get the info, than anyone at the club giving out on the media.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training The Thread Formerly Known As The Training Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back